Neon Dottyback Struggling

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my tank started about 3 months ago now and everything is going good. Last night when I was feeding my neon dottyback and my 2 clownfish, I accidentally dropped in 2 pellets that were stuck together. The dottyback got it and ate it. Now I wake up in the morning and he is laying on the substrate breathing hard and hasn’t moved very much all day. I think maybe the pellets are stuck in his throat. I’m not sure because I feed the pellets about 18 hours ago and I would think they would have gotten to a point were he could at least spit them out or swallow them. My tank parameters are at Nitrates 0-5ppm, ammonia 0-0.25ppm, ph 7.8-8.0, nitrites 0ppm and my salinity is at 1.025. I believe it is probably the pellets because my clownfish are still doing good.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dottyback may have parasites. Has it been treated for flukes, ich, velvet?

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn’t been treated for anything. He was doing great just yesterday. A few days ago I found a little creature or parasite swimming around. I was gonna post about that and see it was harmless. It got away before I could get it out or take a picture. What do you suggest I could do to find out what it has or if it has anything? (The dottyback)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fish that is breathing hard we suspect parasites on the gills. The first to check for is flukes. A freshwater dip will either confirm or eliminate flukes as a possibility. As always any treatment comes with risk. Here's a thread on how to do a freshwater dip and to look for the white sesame seed sized flukes after they fall off:

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn’t been treated for anything. A few days ago I found a little creature or parasite swimming around but I wasn’t able to get it out or take a picture in time. The dottyback has been swimming around a little bit now. He’s not like normal he’s only swimming close to the top and then just swimming in place. When he was swimming I noticed in him he has little white things. Not like ick, it’s almost like dead skin hanging off. Or like he’s been injured and it hasn’t healed yet.

Update: I put him in the freshwater after aerating the bucket and checking the temperature and the first thing he did was just fall over. He didn’t swim or anything.He just sat there. I came back a minute later and he was still there except he was starting to flip upside down. From my angle I couldn’t tell if he was alive or not so netted him and put the net in the saltwater and there he goes. He starts swimming again

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s almost like dead skin hanging off.
That is a common description of Brooklynella. Here's a thread with pictures and treatment advisory:

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn’t been treated for anything. A few days ago I found a little creature or parasite swimming around but I wasn’t able to get it out or take a picture in time. The dottyback has been swimming around a little bit now. He’s not like normal he’s only swimming close to the top and then just swimming in place. When he was swimming I noticed in him he has little white things. Not like ick, it’s almost like dead skin hanging off. Or like he’s been injured and it hasn’t healed yet.
That is a common description of Brooklynella. Here's a thread with pictures and treatment advisory:
That looks like what it could have been. Unfortunately he did pass last night. It could have been the brooklynella and the freshwater bath. It probably stressed him out just enough. Good to know about the early signs and to have learned more. Thanks for your help.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
Sorry for your losses. Yes, diseases can spread really fast between fish. Parasites especially. Read up on QT procedures so you can handle future livestock. We have all been there.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Now it’s different because the dottyback died a day ago and now my clownfish dies last night. Is it possible the parasites spread to the clownfish? My water parameters are still the same.
If it was Brooklynella, then yes. It can infect any fish. Brook is very common with clownfish. The tank will need to go "fallow"(fishless) for 76 days to make sure to starve out any parasites. Going fallow works for all parasites except uronema. Make sure to stir the sand a bit while fallow. Some parasites can go dormant in the anaerobic areas of the tank, usually in pockets of either deep or tightly packed sand.

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was Brooklynella, then yes. It can infect any fish. Brook is very common with clownfish. The tank will need to go "fallow"(fishless) for 76 days to make sure to starve out any parasites. Going fallow works for all parasites except uronema. Make sure to stir the sand a bit while fallow. Some parasites can go dormant in the anaerobic areas of the tank, usually in pockets of either deep or tightly packed sand.
I see it on my last clownfish. I’ll look into ways to get rid of it. Do I have to treat my fish in a quarantine set up and then still starve the parasites? Or could I jsut treat the fish and the tank and just kill them all at the same time. That may be a stupid question. I haven’t looked into if you can even treat it yet. Thanks for your help. At least I now how to handle this and know what it is for in the future.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it on my last clownfish. I’ll look into ways to get rid of it. Do I have to treat my fish in a quarantine set up and then still starve the parasites? Or could I jsut treat the fish and the tank and just kill them all at the same time. That may be a stupid question. I haven’t looked into if you can even treat it yet. Thanks for your help. At least I now how to handle this and know what it is for in the future.
Best to treat in a QT and then leave the display tank fallow for 76 days.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back