Neon toadstool not extending its polyps

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca=395, alk=7.3, mag=1400, sal=1.026, temp=78. However nitrate=50-100 and phosphate=1.0. I just started carbon dosing to deal with the last two items. Tank is 18 months old and just starting to show coralline algae growth. My skimmer is rated for a tank 3x the size of mine. I run two cups of Rox in a carbon reactor. Polyp extension has been poor to nonexistent for many weeks, maybe months, all the way back to when I got the toadstool. Will the high nitrates or phosphates cause this?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your Phosphates are 1.0? what are you testing with? Do you do water changes? It’s not unusual for leathers to sulk for extended times for no apparent reason but I would suspect if your nutrients are in fact that high it may have something to do with it. How does everything else look?

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your Phosphates are 1.0? what are you testing with? Do you do water changes? It’s not unusual for leathers to sulk for extended times for no apparent reason but I would suspect if your nutrients are in fact that high it may have something to do with it. How does everything else look?
Fairly sure. salifert. I only have it plus one mushroom that is also sulking. Water changes have been irregular. I do have a deep sand bed though that I thought would deal with the nitrates.

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also finishing up on a month of weekly dosing of Vibrant to get rid of Dino’s. Will start maintenance dosing every other week soon.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, your problem probably has more to do with nutrient reduction, and increased water clarity from interventions to decrease N/P.
Please post an image under white lighting.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably should up your water changes to 10% weekly until things balance out, particularly a good idea when using vibrant

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great, love the cow fish :). was your leather ok before you started vibrant? I have read it can be hard on some softies.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell by the image the coral is preparing to shed that waxy coating and should reopen after.
My corky finger(not a leather but also sheds) can spend up to two weeks without polyps extended during shed periods. I gauge healthiness of soft corals by tissue. Soft coral’s tissue will shrink when unhappy. As they conserve energy by reducing their outlying tissue. How this will look will depend on the coral. Mushrooms just shrink, barrium will leave behind a tissueless stalk section etc.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it’s shedding because the OP said it has been like that for potentially many months? It has been my experience that leathers will typically shed within a couple days or maybe a couple weeks at most.

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it’s shedding because the OP said it has been like that for potentially many months? It has been my experience that leathers will typically shed within a couple days or maybe a couple weeks at most.
yep. It’s been this way for weeks, maybe months. I’d need to check my logbook for when I got it.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless the coral will not open until it sheds. I would increase flow, whether by moving the coral or changing directional flow.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back