Nepthea neon green trunk chop? 14g nano any toxic issues

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2826.JPG top left neon green nepthea cant miss it. 14 gallon biocube the trunk is 8inch long 1.5 inches wide. just too large now and sucking light and space like s champ.

can i just chop it at liverock (i cant remove from tank) with razor and remove quickly. do a gallon water change. it is a large trunk just worried about toxins in such a small vol of water? i just run chemipure elite, chaeto, floss. you can see the livestock in pic.

i plan on fraggin a few branches so i can let her grow again after she is out.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when its time for a bigger tank???? See above ^ Can you even put your hand in there? Looks awesome though ! As far as your actual question I am still wondering how there no chemical warfare now ??

OP
OP
jld

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost impossible to move anything around anymore. officially out if space. not much issue with corals - i did my best to leave room for everyone when small - but the days are coming when we will be issues.

any thoughts on hacking the nepthea in this small water vol?

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some risk , but obviously its got to go. Personally I would have about 3 gallons of water made up . Drain tank 3 gallons snip at the base quickly ( don't dangle it over the water , cut it and go) place mother colony in the 3 gallon I just took out of tank. Replace with the freshly made up seawater and replace activated carbon. Should be good to go . Things maybe angry for that day but with the fresh water change and carbon I would feel safe .

OP
OP
jld

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shoulda did it long ago when smaller but was kinda scared then :) i had hoped it was going to grow/move onto a rubble LR i stuck under it as it is growing leaning like that for a year or so. no go. now i am just scared chitless to chop it. thanks for input i will report back when i get the balls to do it.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get a sharp pair of scissors and cut the coral anywhere along the stalk. Piece of cake.
You might want to do this right before your next water change though. GL.

OP
OP
jld

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a large trunk with a large surface area. i get slime from little branches of leathers and my hammer field when i thin them (some stuff gets cranky in the tank). i have the fear of zeus of that green tree trunk in my little packed tank.

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue in my Nano but with a toadstool ..... thanks for asking the question , let me know how you get on !! Good luck ....

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would use a razor to make the cut. Scissors will crush the area and cause more stress, because you wont be able to do it in one cutting a attempt. If it was just a small branch it probably wouldn't make a difference. The stalk will be tougher and trying to make a clean cut all the way through the first time without "scissoring" the cut will be hard. You don't want to "chew" your way through the stalk. A nice sharp single edge razor is the cleanest cut you can get. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
jld

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a pair of surgical shears and cut it off as low as i could got it out if tank fast as possible. wasn't anywhere as much slim as i thought from the giant stump. ran another small bag of carbon for a few days and did a 2 gallon change within an hour. went easy and i have a cutting that it attaching so she will live again in my tank.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.7%
Back