Neptune DOS + Trident

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

First off, I am sorry if this is the wrong area, it seemed right.

So, I have the Neptune Trident and recently acquired the Neptune DOS.
I used to have a different dosing pump, it was dosing ESV B-Ionic 2-part in the morning.

Now with Trident+DOS I see that I could use the automatic dosage feature based on Trident results. I wonder if this is a good idea or a bad one? Has anyone tried it?

Here's what I am afraid of: (1)apparently, this feature will create a range for the daily dosage, not necessarily dosing the amount of ml's that you specify. It uses the trident results to adjust your levels to your target, very similar to what a carlx does IMO.
(2)It might dose both components at the same time or with little time between them, thus precipitating the components.

Having all that said, has anyone tried it? What I ended up setting my DOS to is to just dose X amount of component 1(alk) from 6am to 8am and X amount of component 2(ca,mg) from 8:30am to 10:30am.

What are your thoughts?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used it for a while now, and it made my system MUCH more stable. I see under .25dkh variation now with automatic adjustment (and dosing more during the day). Very happy with it.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing Trident Controlled Dosing for 5 months. It has worked great for me. My daily alk swing is about 0.10 dKH. See my detailed thread about my Trident experience: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-hands-on.596716/post-6062531

I use a small powerhead in my sump aimed directly where my dosing tubes are mounted to disperse the 2-part without any precipitation problems. I highly recommend it.

U

User1

View Badges
I have the same setup but have not implemented the Trident feature yet. The only reason why is that I believe the instructions say to let the Trident work for a bit to collect the data. 10 or so days. Since my tank is a relative new upgrade going on 18 months or so I am letting the Trident run until the end of the month before I enable it.

@SuncrestReef - nice tip on the power head. Assuming a smaller power head would work just as well? Pointed at the drip line to help water movement, flow, to mix up the 2 part? I'm using ESV and think this is a great tip - so thank you for sharing it. I am thinking I could implement this.

OP
OP
C

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used it for a while now, and it made my system MUCH more stable. I see under .25dkh variation now with automatic adjustment (and dosing more during the day). Very happy with it.
I've been doing Trident Controlled Dosing for 5 months. It has worked great for me. My daily alk swing is about 0.10 dKH. See my detailed thread about my Trident experience: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-hands-on.596716/post-6062531

I use a small powerhead in my sump aimed directly where my dosing tubes are mounted to disperse the 2-part without any precipitation problems. I highly recommend it.

So if my system consumes 105ml/day of each element, should I use this number to setup the Trident Controlled Dosing?
And, in the case of B-Ionic, should I worry about DOS not dosing equal parts daily?
Thank you for your feedback guys!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if my system consumes 105ml/day of each element, should I use this number to setup the Trident Controlled Dosing?
And, in the case of B-Ionic, should I worry about DOS not dosing equal parts daily?
Thank you for your feedback guys!
No need to worry about dosing unequally.
Yeah, give it 105ml baseline as well as your desired Alkalinity. I suggest also choosing the “dose more during the day” option

OP
OP
C

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to worry about dosing unequally.
Yeah, give it 105ml baseline as well as your desired Alkalinity. I suggest also choosing the “dose more during the day” option
Thanks Harold, I did that. DOS had already dosed the components earlier today, but I still just set it to Trident Controlled Dosing as my alk was still below 9 (my target).
I've also increased Trident testing from 4 to 8. Anything else I should do?

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the trident with the dos. It has definetly kept my tank parameters more stable. If u are concerned about dosing at the same time , you can change the time period each element doses. U would have to go into ur dashboard and hit the gear icon where it show u the time when ur dos is on and adjust the time acordingly

OP
OP
C

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the trident with the dos. It has definetly kept my tank parameters more stable. If u are concerned about dosing at the same time , you can change the time period each element doses. U would have to go into ur dashboard and hit the gear icon where it show u the time when ur dos is on and adjust the time acordingly
Yeah I was just tinkering with it. I think I will just use a small power head where the liquids are being dispensed so I can prevent precipitation. Will observe it for the next week or so. Thanks for the heads up!

finding paulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

First off, I am sorry if this is the wrong area, it seemed right.

So, I have the Neptune Trident and recently acquired the Neptune DOS.
I used to have a different dosing pump, it was dosing ESV B-Ionic 2-part in the morning.

Now with Trident+DOS I see that I could use the automatic dosage feature based on Trident results. I wonder if this is a good idea or a bad one? Has anyone tried it?

Here's what I am afraid of: (1)apparently, this feature will create a range for the daily dosage, not necessarily dosing the amount of ml's that you specify. It uses the trident results to adjust your levels to your target, very similar to what a carlx does IMO.
(2)It might dose both components at the same time or with little time between them, thus precipitating the components.

Having all that said, has anyone tried it? What I ended up setting my DOS to is to just dose X amount of component 1(alk) from 6am to 8am and X amount of component 2(ca,mg) from 8:30am to 10:30am.

What are your thoughts?

Wouldn’t it be better to does different times like the above guy mentioned instead of using a power head to guarantee no precipitation??

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back