Neptune & GHL

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, guys, calm down. I just thought it was funny that you were comparing GHL to iphone since their software only runs on Windows. It is IRONIC that this comparison was made. That. Is. All.
Good thing Apple doesn't make a controller - all sorts of crazy talk would ensue!

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you even say point number 1 when you have neither? lol

myGHL is perfectly functional, so I'm not sure how fusion can possibly "wipe the floor" with it. I guess that's a common theme from people that own apex and have never owned GHL. You were right about how one is much more reliable than the other, and in my opinion, that's ALL that matters.

Also this thread is necro'd.

You are correct, I do not know for sure and I can only go by what people post and watching the demos on YouTube and the companies website. I think I will end up buying the GHL Profilux 4 as unfortunately, the EU tax US imports making the Neptune more expensive here in the UK (so much for the EU "free" trade!!!!!). From emails back and forth with GHL, it looks like I will have to manually do some config as I don't have a Windows computer to plug into the controller and my comment about Fusion is related to the fact that you can do all the setup and configure through Fusion.

Hope that clarifies things.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had the classic for years wit no problem as far as issues mines was the programing very complicated so i emailed and called got a reply back via email but again didnt understand the programming task im not a computer geek n callin was a pain but realized callin early wasnt the answer but callin near the end of the day around 330 was got a rep and he was able to help me out wit everything all i did was download team view finder and he took control on his side i told him everything i wanted as far as programming all the equipment n tasks and that was it a couple of minutes and i was on my way but again this is my experience cant say the same for others

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent got the dos only bcuz i need 4 heads and it has 2 per unit space is limited and cost the so i will probably br goin with the ghl not sure yet

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to do it again I would switch to GHL. I've been a apex user for years from the Black label apex to the apex 2016. I have lost the classic and the apex 2016 due to faulty firmware updates requiring me to send the head unit in. Good thing I live close by and could bring it into Neptunes for direct head replacement. For something we rely on so important to the tank there should be a fail safe firmware reflash and not brick the box. A lot of routers these days have a failsafe firmware reflash procedures and those are like 200, for a 800 dollar system I feel they should add in a tftp firmware repair so users are not dead in the water due to a bad firmware. My 2016 unit was due to a bad revision apex distributed. My older classic was due to my error but still this stuff should never brick the head unit in anyway. If I wasn't so heavily invested in Apex I would switch in a heart beat.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just purchased the 2016 controller but have not hooked it up yet waitin on my sump from reef synergy but i did have problems as far as connectivity issues do to my wireless router it wasnt the best i took the cheap way out because i had just bought the controller firmware updates were a pain because where my tank was n my pc were i had to get a 50 foot cat 6 wire to plug it directly to my pc but once i did that no problems as far as da 2016 they say no hardwiring at all updates can be done wireless hope so

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2016 Alex el head unit took a crap and needed replacing, Neptune requires you leave a large deposit just to send you a new one. That was a few weeks ago and it hasn't even been refunded yet. By comparison ecotech replaced one of my mp40wqd 's with only a dollar hold on my card. I also lost all my water testing logs and had to re-program everything from scratch on my apex. I like my apex but it does worry me and the customer support threw emails is just rediculas.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune requires you leave a large deposit just to send you a new one. That was a few weeks ago and it hasn't even been refunded yet. By comparison ecotech replaced one of my mp40wqd 's with only a dollar hold on my card.

That’s odd. Usually it’s just a dollar hold on the card that never moves to an actual charge unless you don’t return the ostensibly malfunctioning unit (which is why they do it). In fact, when Neptune replaced my WAV, I don’t recall that they even did a hold.

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these debates, like asking those who like pickups why a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge is better....so why not add my 2 cents.

I have myGHL for my 2.1 doser and Apex controlling things; 2 main differences I see:

1. You need a Microsoft based device to set up, software update, etc GHL. This is a pain for someone ie. me who does not have one of those.
2. Fusion loads/logs-in about 100 times faster than myGHL through the app or web browser. Not sure why.

Both customer service have been great for me; if GHL had MAC compatibility they would gather some more market share I would imagine.

So give me whatever connects to Apple:)

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd. Usually it’s just a dollar hold on the card that never moves to an actual charge unless you don’t return the ostensibly malfunctioning unit (which is why they do it). In fact, when Neptune replaced my WAV, I don’t recall that they even did a hold.
They wanted a 200 dollar deposit for the apex head unit swap, I made a stink about it then they dropped it to 100. Still dont have it back yet. They did get the replacement to me fast. Ecotech only did 1 dollar hold.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back