Neptune & GHL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were an Apex user and switched to GHL what made you ditch the Apex and switch over? Im currently on the fence of doing the same thing and want to hear from others why the switched.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there is a review in vendor section posted today on why that user is switching to GHL from Neptune you can check out. most common response when I ask around and research is reliability, timely support, and build quality.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the new Apex gold before the ProfiLux 4 was announced. This is my first aquarium controller ever so my opinion doesn't have a lot of weight, but I'm actually considering switching over. It's only coming down to whether or not I want to take the financial loss on the Apex. I'll probably give it more of a chance, but doubtful that I'll purchase one for my next tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the apex is more like the iPhone, sold in masses and boasts about technology that's new to them but other manufacturers have been using for years. Just because it's sold to more people doesn't make it good, just means lots of people believe the hype they put out. When I do purchase a controller for my own system it will be the Profilux 4, I've spent a long time combing through reviews of not only there quality but there support as well and GHL seems to be at the top in both regards. I'm lucky in the sense I haven't invested 100s even thousands into a system that switching would be impractical or insanely expensive.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iphones don't leed the pack in innovation or quality, only marketing, so I don't see the comparison?;) but I'd rather not turn this thread into a phone thread lol so to each there own:D on a more related note do you have the doser to go along with the profilux or just the profilux? ? wondering if they are worth there price tag?

Last edited:

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add on fire : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212&order=desc&page=2

My WAV pump stopped working 2 days ago. I don't know if it's the 1Link or the actual pumps. I've tried everything, restarting neptune apex, updating, unplugging and replugging pumps in different positions, etc. I do notice the led light on the power supply blinks and is not constant. Weird is that it stays constant if I unplugg power supply from the 1Link. I called apex and it's a recording for if you want to place an order leave a message, nothing else. I left a message anyways and nobody called me back. Only way is to email and they will get back to you. I didn't have time for that. I just went ahead and ordered new unit and I will find out what the issue is soon enough when the unit gets here. I have too much invested to have any down time on my tank.

I agree, contacting them is not easy. They can work on having a live tech support dept as big as they are?

But when it was working, it worked fine and super quiet. they do push massive water, sometimes too strong and focused. You really need to becareful with these in a smaller tank, less than 90g I would say.

So i finally figured out that one of the WAV pumps is bad. I realized that if you have one bad WAV pump the other(s) WAV pump will sieze to work as well. You have to unplug the bad pump for the remaining good pump to work which I thought is lame. While messing with the bad pump pulling it out and plugging it in a few times, from the 1link, to see if it would start it fried one of my EB8 and my PM2 Module. Weird because it didn't fry the other EB8, 1LINK, remaining wav pump, or main controller module.

This is a huge flaw with neptune equipment how 1 device can potentially fry entire system! I couldve lost entire neptune apex and could have had to replace the whole thing. I wouldn't be able to do that so thank god it didnt.

This is very similar to what happened to o2manyfish.

This is where ecotech mp40s would benefit by being an entirely independent unit away from neptune. Having neptune apex is cool and has it's advantages, but imo you shouldn't hook everything to it. If you have ecotech lights and ecosmart already go with mp40s. I'm forced to replace my one wav pump because its currently the cheapest and most logical route.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know, I've read a lot about there poor customer service and the recent lack of quality with there new products. Not good things to hear being new to the hobby and they have sufficiently turned me away from them.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add on fire : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212&order=desc&page=2

My WAV pump stopped working 2 days ago. I don't know if it's the 1Link or the actual pumps. I've tried everything, restarting neptune apex, updating, unplugging and replugging pumps in different positions, etc. I do notice the led light on the power supply blinks and is not constant. Weird is that it stays constant if I unplugg power supply from the 1Link. I called apex and it's a recording for if you want to place an order leave a message, nothing else. I left a message anyways and nobody called me back. Only way is to email and they will get back to you. I didn't have time for that. I just went ahead and ordered new unit and I will find out what the issue is soon enough when the unit gets here. I have too much invested to have any down time on my tank.

I agree, contacting them is not easy. They can work on having a live tech support dept as big as they are?

But when it was working, it worked fine and super quiet. they do push massive water, sometimes too strong and focused. You really need to becareful with these in a smaller tank, less than 90g I would say.

So i finally figured out that one of the WAV pumps is bad. I realized that if you have one bad WAV pump the other(s) WAV pump will sieze to work as well. You have to unplug the bad pump for the remaining good pump to work which I thought is lame. While messing with the bad pump pulling it out and plugging it in a few times, from the 1link, to see if it would start it fried one of my EB8 and my PM2 Module. Weird because it didn't fry the other EB8, 1LINK, remaining wav pump, or main controller module.

This is a huge flaw with neptune equipment how 1 device can potentially fry entire system! I couldve lost entire neptune apex and could have had to replace the whole thing. I wouldn't be able to do that so thank god it didnt.

This is where ecotech mp40s would benefit by being an entirely independent unit away from neptune. Having neptune apex is cool and has it's advantages, but imo you shouldn't hook everything to it. If you have ecotech lights and ecosmart already go with mp40s. I'm forced to replace my one wav pump because its currently the cheapest and most logical route.

What happened to o2manyfish?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You assertions are entirely speculative and are actually inaccurate in many places. Not going to hash it all out, but having one bad WAV pump will not kill the other, and it will not fry your entire system. Also, this is not related to any issue supposedly occurring by o2manyfish.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those weren't his assertions those were directly from the thread he posted, From someone having an issue with your product. He didn't say the dead pump killed the other he says the dead pump prevents the other from working when they are hooked up together. He also never said what he was talking about was exactly like o2manyfish only similar. Instead of trying to stomp out critics with your vague accusations and blaming consumers for the failure of your product it might be more constructive to contact them and figure out what there problem actually was to turn a very bad review into a positive one? Watching your comments in these thread's are what have turned me off to your products all together.

Last edited:

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those weren't his assertions those were directly from the thread he posted, From someone having an issue with your product. He didn't say the dead pump killed the other he says the dead pump prevents the other from working when they are hooked up together. Instead of trying to stomp out critics with your vague accusations and blaming consumers for the failure of your product it might be more constructive to contact o2manyfish and figure out what his problem actually was to turn his very bad review into a positive one? Watching your comments in these thread's are what have turned me off to your products all together.

I agree. As I have been doing quite a bit of research regarding differing controllers. I briefly contemplated the Archon and had finally settled on Apex until GHL dropped the new Profilux into the fray.
Reading the comments here as well as on the other controller thread, has helped me to make my decision. GHL it will be, in part due to their sterling rep and lack of troubling customer service issues. As well, I find their professionalism on the forum when interacting with current and potential customers, quite refreshing.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was that I bought new unit out of the box , the old series power bar for Asia is 6 points instead of 8 point but I received the 6 points with 8 point programming . With their sucks services that I need to wake up at 3 am my time to catch their support to remote in before they are willing to rma

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. As I have been doing quite a bit of research regarding differing controllers. I briefly contemplated the Archon and had finally settled on Apex until GHL dropped the new Profilux into the fray.
Reading the comments here as well as on the other controller thread, has helped me to make my decision. GHL it will be, in part due to their sterling rep and lack of troubling customer service issues. As well, I find their professionalism on the forum when interacting with current and potential customers, quite refreshing.

After using profilux 3 and now apex , I have never ever need to contact profilux for any service but for apex - this is already 2 - once for the power bar and the next display screen . All occasions are nightmares !!!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright David let's spin this in a way to get back to the original question in the thread. If you could afford to replace your new apex with the GHL, would you? and why if there is another reason aside from there customer service?? obviously terrence is on now, maybe you could direct your issues to him to improve your service? ? ?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You assertions are entirely speculative and are actually inaccurate in many places. Not going to hash it all out, but having one bad WAV pump will not kill the other, and it will not fry your entire system. Also, this is not related to any issue supposedly occurring by o2manyfish.

Why are u defensive ?! I just quoted a post from another thread . Forum is for sharing and it is a good platform to bring up issues like this . What's wrong with it ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back