Neptune SKY LED

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on R2R was hinting that BRS bought EcoTech and Innovative Marine. I can’t see it myself, but stranger things have happened.

I do hope the SKY succeeds. Competition fosters innovation.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great I’ll bet you $100 Neptune Sky has a Second Generation Led Light.
Money means little here... within three years of this date, Neptune will not have a second generation light for sale or for preorder, or send me a frag of my picking from your tank. Reciprocal of course.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a break down of a unit? Tested it thoroughly? Or are you going off what strangers on the internet…. Like yourself, are saying?

that’s the main lesson I’m getting from this
Well ive watched two teardown videos, both critical and negative.

BRS posted the spectrum = NARROW.

Warranty is a year.

Neptune has never made a light before and on things like the Dose just buys $60 (look on ali express) core parts and then sells them for many times that after adding a cheap housing and literally hot gluing a logo on it...

Then i look at the price = about $900

Yup, that's enough for me to decide in the negative...

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ive watched two teardown videos, both critical and negative.

BRS posted the spectrum = NARROW.

Warranty is a year.

Neptune has never made a light before and on things like the Dose just buys $60 (look on ali express) core parts and then sells them for many times that after adding a cheap housing and literally hot gluing a logo on it...

Then i look at the price = about $900

Yup, that's enough for me to decide in the negative...
So you haven’t done anything to verify for yourself. Got it. Thanks for the input!

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a break down of a unit? Tested it thoroughly? Or are you going off what strangers on the internet…. Like yourself, are saying?

that’s the main lesson I’m getting from this
There are a few breakdowns online many of them do not paint Neptune in a good way.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Care 2s are nice, but there only seems to be one option for mounting them: hanging. That kind of limits their appeal to anyone who just wants a plug and play light.

I’ve heard they’re heavy, but not sure how noisy (or quiet) and how the interface is for using them. Please note that this isn’t a review or complaint - merely an outside observation.

You can hang or use 80/20. It has better mounting options that the ATI Straton. Maybe you mixed the two up possibly? Also there is no noise on the Gen 2. It is passive cooling. Same with the ATI straton.

Not sure of your source but there isn't a thing wrong with the Gen 2 from Philips. The lack of sales is probably because everyone watches the BRS investigates videos and they got it wrong. The Gen 2 is a more natural looking spectrum of high noon. It is not the blue, AB look. BRS tried to use their custom program, and look, and had to turn off a lot of the LED's on the Gen 2 to get their look and thus lost part.

Simply put - they reviewed the wrong light for their spectrum look and failed to clearly articulate this in their video. Yes, they said they "like more blue" but they didn't state that clearly in the video and said it was good only for lps and soft corals.

Onus is on the hobbyist to do their homework and this here is a perfect example of social media getting it wrong and not behind held accountable.

Edit: btw the Gen 2 is heavy. It is passive cooled and has the power supply built in the head unit. It is a single cable outside the dimming module.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money means little here... within three years of this date, Neptune will not have a second generation light for sale or for preorder, or send me a frag of my picking from your tank. Reciprocal of course.

Done - You have a bet.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys at this time this thread has devolved into a ticking contest. I’m interested in the Sky but may just opt for the CC2 because if its great price right now. If somehow I can stick the Kessil shimmer in the middle of the CC fixture, that’d be perfect

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys at this time this thread has devolved into a ticking contest. I’m interested in the Sky but may just opt for the CC2 because if its great price right now. If somehow I can stick the Kessil shimmer in the middle of the CC fixture, that’d be perfect

Well part of the reason is that some ignore the data presented by actual users. For whatever reason those that dislike Neptune or the SKY light believe those who actually own them, and report their experience, are somehow paid to do so. I've seen this on another forum with just as toxic of a thread believe it or not. Someone posts something positive and the wolves come out to say they are lying, or didn't purchase the light, or a slew of other things. Oddest thing really.

If there is something specific that you want answered there are a few here that actually own, and run them.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well part of the reason is that some ignore the data presented by actual users. For whatever reason those that dislike Neptune or the SKY light believe those who actually own them, and report their experience, are somehow paid to do so. I've seen this on another forum with just as toxic of a thread believe it or not. Someone posts something positive and the wolves come out to say they are lying, or didn't purchase the light, or a slew of other things. Oddest thing really.

If there is something specific that you want answered there are a few here that actually own, and run them.
Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts of it compared to your last setup?

I’m starting a 180 gallon with center overflow

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/boned0c’s-180-gallon-360-walk-around-tank.861852/#post-9402209

thinking if hanging it from the ceiling with a lighting track. Trying to minimize the chord jumble for aesthetics. How’s the chord management for the Sky?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Only because the white is out of stock, if in-stock I'd wager it would also be on clearance.

I don't for a minute think that the sole reason is a lack of sales.

What other products have they done this with, so soon after coming on the market?
Link to the post:

In case you cant see the post:

1632694566809.png
1632694585682.png

Back