Neptune SKY LED

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning! Do not attempt to do this. For professionals only! LOL. An anti-siphon line blew out of one return line and sprayed one of my SKYs (top and bottom) with saltwater for a few hours. There was 15 gallons of water on the floor, the ATO dropped the salinity to 25 ppt... The APEX shut down and was flashing orange. I figured the SKY was toast and unplugged it. I would have time the next day to put a new light up, but figured what the heck, I'll plug the SKY back in and see what happens. To my amazement, it lighted right up and has been running just fine for about 3 days now.
Do you intend to open it up and investigate for damage?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning! Do not attempt to do this. For professionals only! LOL. An anti-siphon line blew out of one return line and sprayed one of my SKYs (top and bottom) with saltwater for a few hours. There was 15 gallons of water on the floor, the ATO dropped the salinity to 25 ppt... The APEX shut down and was flashing orange. I figured the SKY was toast and unplugged it. I would have time the next day to put a new light up, but figured what the heck, I'll plug the SKY back in and see what happens. To my amazement, it lighted right up and has been running just fine for about 3 days now.

Ouch! Glad everything is ok now!

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For any Sky owners that do not own a canopy my light spill shades are available for sale. You can find it under the classified section. I am offering a 3" top to bottom model currently which is similar to the Radion shade. I could make a 3.5" Sky light spill shade at maximum. The production model has a larger footprint than the original design and my 3D printer does have its limits. Happy reefing!

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a hot minute for this thread. Wanted to hear from everyone and how their tanks look! Some of you are probably getting close to the 6month mark!

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine on my SPS dominant Reefer 350 for 8 months and they have been great. My only real complaints are the terrible LED ramping and the popping/cracking sound that accompanies every heat cycle.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine on my SPS dominant Reefer 350 for 8 months and they have been great. My only real complaints are the terrible LED ramping and the popping/cracking sound that accompanies every heat cycle.
What profile are you running?

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same findings. My schedule runs the ATI Blues in the morning, moves to the SPS AB+ then back to ATI Blue for evening.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 16B8EA2A-DD58-4658-A75D-58515CD69EF7.png
    16B8EA2A-DD58-4658-A75D-58515CD69EF7.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 79

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well over the 6 month mark as well here. No issues. No heat cycle expansion noise either. 2 over my 210 mixed reef. Ramp up starting at 0700 coral growth peak at 60% and ramp down to AB+ ending at 2100. Moon lights kick in later at 5%.

I am not able to increase the intensity beyond 60% as a few of my corals will react negatively although the SPS would probably be happier. What I mean is that while the whole system loves the lights they blanket a lot of the tank as it relates to spread. More even par coverage compared to my previous arrangement of Kessil's. My Japanese pink Nepthea, mulberry stereonepthya, and Tonga yellow toadstool will open fully in the early morning to mid afternoon but shortly thereafter as intensity is closer to peak retract then open again as the lights ramp down. Next month I'll slowly switch back to a parabola light schedule more than likely.

Phone app (IOS user here) works great. Photo mode works well and consistent. Love how I can switch spectrums and if I forget it switches back automatically within a few minutes. Fans are silent. Even with a thin layer of dust and GSD dog hair no heat alerts or anything. Just continue to run as advertised.

I think one of the questions often overlooked at the end of the day is if they are growing corals better than previous lighting. Yes and no. Coral growth, in my opinion, is a combination of things such as lighting, water quality, chemistry, and so on. It isn't light alone. So being honest I think my coral's growth is similar to my previous setup because I've not changed anything I've done as it relates to water, flow, chemistry, etc. If that makes sense.

What the SKY lighting has done is two things. The first is to produce a more even spread of light across the display. I'm getting light and a good par number where I didn't have it before. Spread. The second thing it is providing is a quality of life improvement. Less power bricks. Less cables. Flexible spectrum control. More spectrum options ranging from heavy blue to more natural high noon look. Not that I'm changing spectrum often but a single light is flexible enough to switch without having to buy a specific one (tuna blue, pro, etc). This is an important feature to me. Change spectrum and don't lose par numbers.

Honestly there really isn't much to say about them other than they are working great for me. No issues. No noise. No par drop off. Tank didn't melt. Tank also didn't become one solid block of coral. The tool works and works very well. Worthy light to consider when upgrading or purchasing anew.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is a pic from September when I first hung the light. (Aug '21)
1642119482158.png

Here it is today. The issue I am running into is corals growing so large that they are bumping into each other (see the pic of the frogspawn/hammer/duncan (duncan being stung). The Frank is starting to grow some crazy bubbles where it is exposed to the light. On the left, my Zoas are starting to suffer a little because the Montis are just out of control leading to shading. The Nems really seem to like the light. I am up to about 6 of them in the middle there.

I also have the creaking in the morning when it ramps up. Just a single click (had the same thing with Radion G5's... maybe it is because I keep the house at ~68). I really like being able to open up apex and just change between the presets. If I want to see the glow... ATI setting.... pics or if I have a zoom meeting... photo mode. Overall the biggest change is that since I switched to it I have not had the feeling that I wanted to change. If I had a bigger tank with 2 of these, I would think about putting a kessil in the middle to boost the shimmer. Overall, I am glad to have made the switch.

1642119605304.png

1642119644021.png

1642119666201.png

1642119707314.png

1642119740785.png

Blakjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone care to share their lighting profile/schedule for a mixed reef for a 220 gallon (72x30x24)? Just got 3 sky lights and would like to get a baseline.

This is where I’m starting. Any feedback?
1642445119443.png

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the ecotech RMS mount. It’s about 9” off the water.

Using the same mount here and almost the same height. I'm between 8 and 8 1/2 " above the waterline. My display is 30" though. Still manage a respectable 100 - 120 PAR on the sand bed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back