Neptune SKY LED

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be on their product page but I don't see it. Dana I think put it in his review. Oreo I think linked it already.
I didn't see any x number 500nm cyan on channel amber ect.
Screenshot_20230827-191753.png

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see any x number 500nm cyan on channel amber ect.
Screenshot_20230827-191753.png

The comment you highlighted though is probably why most SKY users don't comment. Let us not even get started on UV...

To your point though I don't know the actual break down although I thought it was listed originally. I've not opened my kits as I've never had a reason to. The channels are noted as A (assuming amber), V (assuming violet), RB (assuming royal blue), and W (assuming whites). I don't know if they are blended as the images you show above could be reflections or spill in some (amber)?

I think if a hobbyist is interested in the kits they should go to their LFS and check them out in person. Ask them to open the app and let them navigate through presets (Fusion vs phone app) and manual using the channel sliders. This way they can get their own feel for it.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The comment you highlighted though is probably why most SKY users don't comment. Let us not even get started on UV...

To your point though I don't know the actual break down although I thought it was listed originally. I've not opened my kits as I've never had a reason to. The channels are noted as A (assuming amber), V (assuming violet), RB (assuming royal blue), and W (assuming whites). I don't know if they are blended as the images you show above could be reflections or spill in some (amber)?

I think if a hobbyist is interested in the kits they should go to their LFS and check them out in person. Ask them to open the app and let them navigate through presets (Fusion vs phone app) and manual using the channel sliders. This way they can get their own feel for it.
Did you miss the sliver of UV-A?

Anyways Dana's charts give a pretty good idea of what is there..
405,420nm violets on call it ch 1
Royal blues on ch 2, may have some reg blue. Not sure.
Cool whites ch 3. Don't look real high K but ?
Amber/cyan ch 4

For some it's like what nm amber, pcamber or plain jane amber.. ect.
Most really don't need to know other than the spectrum charts.

Yea probably should have cropped the "editorial" out.

Numbers of channels and what they are is a personal choice.
Adding like colors isn't bad like "violets" on one and "blues" on another.
Mixing cyan/amber, not "my" choice. Blends to greenish anyways.

Arguements ect.. ect...

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It used to be on their product page but I don't see it. Dana I think put it in his review. Oreo I think linked it already.

I can’t find it anywhere. I’m not sure why this info wouldn’t be readily available from a single retailer let alone Neptune. I have reached out to Neptune though to see what they say.

Dana doesn’t mention it in the review. Which is odd as well.

Best I can see from pics is:

8 Amber
8 Cyan
16 Cool Whites
16 Violets (likely 405/420nm mix)
40 royal blue (450nm or so)
16 blue (470nm or so)

Just a guess though

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you miss the sliver of UV-A?

Anyways Dana's charts give a pretty good idea of what is there..
405,420nm violets on call it ch 1
Royal blues on ch 2, may have some reg blue. Not sure.
Cool whites ch 3. Don't look real high K but ?
Amber/cyan ch 4

For some it's like what nm amber, pcamber or plain jane amber.. ect.
Most really don't need to know other than the spectrum charts.

Yea probably should have cropped the "editorial" out.

Numbers of channels and what they are is a personal choice.
Adding like colors isn't bad like "violets" on one and "blues" on another.
Mixing cyan/amber, not "my" choice. Blends to greenish anyways.

Arguements ect.. ect...

Miss it? No. I leave the UV and similar debates to others. I switched from Kessil a360x and those upgraded from a DIY multi channel kit.

I run the coral growth preset which is 100% all channels for most of the day. I think there are two hours whereas I slide into the PHX14 I think it is. Heavy violet and royal blue if I remember correctly.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find it anywhere. I’m not sure why this info wouldn’t be readily available from a single retailer let alone Neptune. I have reached out to Neptune though to see what they say.

Dana doesn’t mention it in the review. Which is odd as well.

Best I can see from pics is:

8 Amber
8 Cyan
16 Cool Whites
16 Violets (likely 405/420nm mix)
40 royal blue (450nm or so)
16 blue (470nm or so)

Just a guess though

Here is a post of mine from July when someone was asking about them. Few pictures of my display. Not great but at least it will give you an idea of how a pair of them can work. Display is 210 gallons 54 x 30 x 30. I've been using them since mid NSI testing so 4 to 6 months before public launch. Most of the growth in the pictures are under the SKY's.

Lighting is only once piece of the equation so I feel I would be successful still using my previous lights.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it’s posted in here somewhere but does anyone know the LED count for the Sky? Like how many blue, how many royal blue, violet, amber, cyan, etc?

Every search just comes up with 104 LEDs. I’m looking for the actual breakdown. Not sure why this isn’t posted on the description
My data is attached, Ryan. Look for the "Peak(nm)" column. Remember that the whites will peak in the blue, but from the pics and column BC, you will get what you need (layout, too). The data were captured by placing the spectrometer in a cardboard tube with the tube placed over the individual diodes.

Jim

Attachments

• Sky all diodes.xlsx
    58.5 KB · Views: 37

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was able to track down the LEDs used but not from Neptune or anyone at Aperture. Neptune responded they won't share that information publicly. Which solidified my decision to not use them. Nothing against the light. It looks fantastic if I am being honest but it is the same reason no KZ products go in my tank. Secrets don't do anybody any good. Telling me the nanometer of the LEDs used makes me an informed consumer. If that isn't your goal (to have informed consumers) then I am not your target audience. To be fair to Neptune, other lighting companies don't share this same info either.

Again, my opinion is this doesn't advance the hobby or do my pets any service. There are far more Vibrant stories than not in this hobby from companies that don't share info.

Just for anyone else looking for the info, they use:

450nm Royal
Cool Whites
400-410nm UV LEDs
425-430nm Violets
Cyan
Amber

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to track down the LEDs used but not from Neptune or anyone at Aperture. Neptune responded they won't share that information publicly. Which solidified my decision to not use them. Nothing against the light. It looks fantastic if I am being honest but it is the same reason no KZ products go in my tank. Secrets don't do anybody any good. Telling me the nanometer of the LEDs used makes me an informed consumer. If that isn't your goal (to have informed consumers) then I am not your target audience. To be fair to Neptune, other lighting companies don't share this same info either.

Again, my opinion is this doesn't advance the hobby or do my pets any service. There are far more Vibrant stories than not in this hobby from companies that don't share info.

Just for anyone else looking for the info, they use:

450nm Royal
Cool Whites
400-410nm UV LEDs
425-430nm Violets
Cyan
Amber
Certainly agree with you.
Any company could easily find their "secret sauce".

The only (weak) justification would be for those that would go "you said they were 430nm diodes but my spectrometer says 437"..

Also much is incomplete.
What whites? 490 or 505 cyan?
Ect.
LEDs have a lot of " slop".

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic from September when I first hung the light. (Aug '21)
1642119482158.png

Here it is today. The issue I am running into is corals growing so large that they are bumping into each other (see the pic of the frogspawn/hammer/duncan (duncan being stung). The Frank is starting to grow some crazy bubbles where it is exposed to the light. On the left, my Zoas are starting to suffer a little because the Montis are just out of control leading to shading. The Nems really seem to like the light. I am up to about 6 of them in the middle there.

I also have the creaking in the morning when it ramps up. Just a single click (had the same thing with Radion G5's... maybe it is because I keep the house at ~68). I really like being able to open up apex and just change between the presets. If I want to see the glow... ATI setting.... pics or if I have a zoom meeting... photo mode. Overall the biggest change is that since I switched to it I have not had the feeling that I wanted to change. If I had a bigger tank with 2 of these, I would think about putting a kessil in the middle to boost the shimmer. Overall, I am glad to have made the switch.

1642119605304.png

1642119644021.png

1642119666201.png

1642119707314.png

1642119740785.png
Hello. What's ur lighting schedule

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly agree with you.
Any company could easily find their "secret sauce".

The only (weak) justification would be for those that would go "you said they were 430nm diodes but my spectrometer says 437"..

Also much is incomplete.
What whites? 490 or 505 cyan?
Ect.
LEDs have a lot of " slop".
Check the spreadsheet for cyan.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be a joke in there somewhere...
Sharing some accuracy. I hear/see too often that UV, violet, and indigo are misrepresented.

And someone let RT know that the data he was seeking was shared. I'm guessing he can't see my comment with data attached.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sharing some accuracy. I hear/see too often that UV, violet, and indigo are misrepresented.

And someone let RT know that the data he was seeking was shared. I'm guessing he can't see my comment with data attached.

I just used the technical terms from the LED manufacture since I was given exact specs on the LEDs. Brand and everything. And no, I did not see your info before posting.

Edit, looked at wrong column on phone

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the technical terms from the LED manufacture since I was given exact specs on the LEDs. Brand and everything. And no, I did not see your info before posting.

Edit, looked at wrong column on phone
Not that it matters, but I enjoyed the "there's a variety of different ones in here" from the two years ago this month NS teardown livestream.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, I was actually referring to a joke, satire. Not something you did, or didn't, do.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back