Neptune SKY vs G5Blue

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for Leds how are people liking the SKY I'm an Apex fan but also considering g5 blue? Tank is 120 gallon 2 Sky vs 3 xr30.

bcmm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. I have 6 on a 360 gallon peninsula (48”x72” 24” deep)

I have no personal experience with the Radions, but I have friends who have them. My prior lights were heavily modified Mars/Aqua, which grew acros fine, as long as they were in the higher areas of the tank. They didn’t have any punch.

I’m getting more par and running them at less intensity, with no hot spots. And as a bonus the seamlessly integrate with my Apex (big surprise)

They are spendy, as is everything in this hobby, but I’m glad I pulled the trigger on them.

I‘ve got to say though, I am really surprised by the vitriol, sheesh!

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have the same footprint, considering two XR15 and one XR30. On my mixed reef. Should be better spread then the 2 30s.

I haven’t seen that many new Sky owners coming from Radions so its a harder comparison. Most people who really like the Sky and have discussed upgraded from a clearly inferior light. When you see a review ask the person what they switched from.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine a lot so far but a 2 weeks is hardly a true "test" they are a new product and there is some risk associated with that.

To address the point earlier I switched from Reef Breeders which is a perfectly good light used by a bunch of reefers and Adam at Battlecorals. I'm certainly not going to get into a debate of superior or inferior lights because that is clearly subjective by personal experience. I've never owned a Radion but, like most, have seen a bunch of them and they too are great lights. To be 100% transparent if the RB could have covered my 180 like it did the 120 I wouldn't have switched.

You're going to have to buy 2 of them no matter what you choose if you have any questions about specifics on using the sky happy to answer with what I can.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lid my 6ft 180 gallon tank with two XR30 and one XR15.
I have exactly the same setup on my 6’ 160-gallon display. I can’t even imagine 3 XR30’s on it - let alone that many on a smaller tank.

There’s an interesting takedown review of the new Neptune SKY that reveals some possible issues, so I’d personally hold off on the SKY until we have more data on how it’s actually performing over the next 6-12 months.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly the same setup on my 6’ 160-gallon display. I can’t even imagine 3 XR30’s on it - let alone that many on a smaller tank.

There’s an interesting takedown review of the new Neptune SKY that reveals some possible issues, so I’d personally hold off on the SKY until we have more data on how it’s actually performing over the next 6-12 months.
What were the issues?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General build quality, potential issues with the choice of material for the external case - things like that.

Hmm...how do you feel about the G5's being released with loud fans or over torqued screws breaking the face plate? Build quality keeps being brought up, or potential as you point out, yet there are no posts anywhere of issues like this. You can look here or even on Neptune internal forums.

Having doubts or reservations is perfectly fine. You should as a hobbyist. On the other hand you are doing products a disservice by continuing to repeat content providers bias.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the concern with the finish of the outside of the case as well, don't understand it but I've heard it. It honestly reminds me of the same material used on my MP40 dry side and I've not seen where that has been an issue

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...how do you feel about the G5's being released with loud fans or over torqued screws breaking the face plate? Build quality keeps being brought up, or potential as you point out, yet there are no posts anywhere of issues like this. You can look here or even on Neptune internal forums.

Having doubts or reservations is perfectly fine. You should as a hobbyist. On the other hand you are doing products a disservice by continuing to repeat content providers bias.
My fans aren’t loud, but the screws were all over-torqued (and yes, my faceplates have minor cracks). If we’re going to nitpick, they’re danged expensive, too. I could go into a long list of things I don’t like about my G5s, starting with the bluetooth-only Mobius interface, quirks in the software interface, etc. Did I mention they’re expensive? Then again, we’re on the 5th generation, thousands of aquarists own and rave about them and last I checked this morning they’re were still performing the function I acquired them for.

Would I buy the Neptune SKY if I hadn’t already invested in Radions? Maybe. Then again, based solely on the track record of the other Neptune products I own - probably not. The quality control and assurance just isn’t there, and that’s not an isolated or “repeated” comment.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of money when they come with cracks in the cases

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fans aren’t loud, but the screws were all over-torqued (and yes, my faceplates have minor cracks). If we’re going to nitpick, they’re danged expensive, too. I could go into a long list of things I don’t like about my G5s, starting with the bluetooth-only Mobius interface, quirks in the software interface, etc. Did I mention they’re expensive? Then again, we’re on the 5th generation, thousands of aquarists own and rave about them and last I checked this morning they’re were still performing the function I acquired them for.

Price is relative. ATI Straton, Philips Gen 2, SKY, Kessil a500x, and G5 (others like Mitra's) are all similar wattage and price point. I'm ignoring that for a minute.

My comment was only as it relates to content providers, social media, saying the Neptune SKY has potential quality issues. I try not to beat a dead horse over previous product launches especially when the vendor works to resolve the issue. I just find it ironic that social media types raise quality concerns yet fail to compare or talk what is reality. Bias always rears its ugly head. In the end the content providers credibility goes out the door. At least in my opinion.

Neptune deserves credit for an exception product launch and open box experience. Again just my opinion. Not many, if any, of the posts are with issues on the SKY light itself only on the tests or tear downs. Please note I did not look in the Neptune sub forum so maybe they are there. I also looked at the Neptune forums and it is pretty quiet.

Back to price - is that a missed opportunity? Maybe. Out of my area of expertise so I just stay out of that. I do wonder those that do complain how much they spend on a 3/4" named frag or their cellular phones...

Hope you are having a great day Blaxsun.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G5 has WiFi built into the light. EcoTech just has not turned it on yet due to it being in beta.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back