Neptune Trident Calcium test WAY off

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Trident and let it run for a few days before calibrating. As soon as I set it up I noticed the test results were way off from my Hanna checkers. I let it do it’s thing for a few days thinking it just needed to be calibrated. Today I calibrated it and after calibration the test results are just about the same as before. Here are the differences:

Alkalinity
Hanna 7.5
Trident 8.01

Calcium
Hanna 416
Trident 328

Mag
Salifert 1380
Trident 1447

I have my Apex set up to do 2 gallon water change per day. I also have a Kalkwasser reactor running and dosing 2 part via the DOS. I’m having a very difficult time believing that the calcium level is 328 like the Trident says. I tested my new saltwater and got 8.9 Alk, 440 Calc, 1440 Mag. I expected all the Trident tests to be closer to the Test kit results. Is there something that I’m missing..? I haven’t started a ticket with Neptune yet. Thought I’d start here and see if any of you had any suggestions or insights.

Thanks for any help

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna calcium is a pain in the butt. I don’t like mine, and don’t really trust it.

Check to make sure the reagent lines aren't pinched, and make sure the sample line is not getting any air bubbles near it. This can throw off the results.

Do you still have the calibration fluid? Try testing that bottle and see what the number are.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have the calibration fluid. However, I won’t be able to test until tomorrow night and I’ve read that it’s only good for 8 hours. I’ll test it tomorrow anyway. I thought it was a little suspect when the calibration test results were exactly what was on the bottle... I would assume if the reagent lines were pinched the calibration results would have been skewed.

I actually get pretty consistent tests from the Hanna Calcium checker. At this point I trust it more than this Trident. There is no way possible that my calcium is 328

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are exactly what’s on the bottle, because that’s what they calibrated to. They say it’s only good for 8 hours, but if you test it you could see if the numbers are at least close. You could also mix up so new saltwater and test that, just so you have a reference to see what it’s reading.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have the calibration fluid. However, I won’t be able to test until tomorrow night and I’ve read that it’s only good for 8 hours. I’ll test it tomorrow anyway. I thought it was a little suspect when the calibration test results were exactly what was on the bottle... I would assume if the reagent lines were pinched the calibration results would have been skewed.

I actually get pretty consistent tests from the Hanna Calcium checker. At this point I trust it more than this Trident. There is no way possible that my calcium is 328
I was literally thinking the same about mine... been dosing Cal and it’s not rising.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are exactly what’s on the bottle, because that’s what they calibrated to. They say it’s only good for 8 hours, but if you test it you could see if the numbers are at least close. You could also mix up so new saltwater and test that, just so you have a reference to see what it’s reading.
That’s a good idea. I have new saltwater mixed up. I’ll check the new saltwater back to back with Hanna and Trident tomorrow if I have time. Thanks for that tip.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I suspect there might be air or a pinched tube.
My sump is pretty small. I have the sample line tucked over by the second back up filter sock. I don’t see any bubbles but the skimmer is over a bit in the same chamber and it puts some micro bubbles in the water. I might try to put the sample line in the tank drain chamber of the sump. Thanks for that tip

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not trust my hanna checker for Calcium. My readings swing wildly even if I do test right after test. That said, I agree with the folks above about air or precipitate in the tube. When I first got mine, it was way off, but after pinching the tube from the trident, all the way to the end, and then completely flushing it and re-calibrating, it gave the readings I expected, and it has remained steady.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not trust my hanna checker for Calcium. My readings swing wildly even if I do test right after test. That said, I agree with the folks above about air or precipitate in the tube. When I first got mine, it was way off, but after pinching the tube from the trident, all the way to the end, and then completely flushing it and re-calibrating, it gave the readings I expected, and it has remained steady.
I guess I don’t understand what you mean. The tube is brand new. Only three days old. Seems unlikely that the tube is clogged with precipitate but I’ll check. Thanks.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don’t understand what you mean. The tube is brand new. Only three days old. Seems unlikely that the tube is clogged with precipitate but I’ll check. Thanks.
The pinching was for air in my case, as mine was new, too ... but others have mentioned that with precipitate, pinching it makes it feel "crunchy," and when they cleared that out, it started working fine, too.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I was able to do more testing today. I tested the Trident calibration fluid using the Hanna checkers for dKh and Ca, Salifert for Mg:

dKh 7.9
Ca 466
Mg 1230

The calibration fluid claims that it is supposed to be:
dkh 8.3
Cal 405
Mg 1265

The following is the test results from my tank water from the Trident vs the Hanna and Salifert:

Trident
dKh 7.88
Ca 337
Mg 1450

Hanna
dKh 7.7
Ca 404
Salifert Mg 1364

So from what I can tell, the Hanna Ca checker is about 61-67ppm higher compared to the Trident. I wanna pick up another Calcium test kit to compare. Which Calcium test kit do you guys recommend. My LFS only has Salifert but don’t want to buy that kit if it’s junk too.

So now I’m wondering why the Magnesium test results are so different...? Any suggestions there?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay so I was able to do more testing today. I tested the Trident calibration fluid using the Hanna checkers for dKh and Ca, Salifert for Mg:

dKh 7.9
Ca 466
Mg 1230

The calibration fluid claims that it is supposed to be:
dkh 8.3
Cal 405
Mg 1265

The following is the test results from my tank water from the Trident vs the Hanna and Salifert:

Trident
dKh 7.88
Ca 337
Mg 1450

Hanna
dKh 7.7
Ca 404
Salifert Mg 1364

So from what I can tell, the Hanna Ca checker is about 61-67ppm higher compared to the Trident. I wanna pick up another Calcium test kit to compare. Which Calcium test kit do you guys recommend. My LFS only has Salifert but don’t want to buy that kit if it’s junk too.

So now I’m wondering why the Magnesium test results are so different...? Any suggestions there?
The likelihood of the two tests being exactly the same is very low. The Trident accuracy on calcium is +|-15 ppm
Hannah accuracy is +|-6%

so if the trident is on the low end of its accuracy then the real water is at 352 ppm. If the Hannah is at the high end of its accuracy, then the water is at 380. These numbers still have a spread but are more inline.

I think you could chase this all the time with salifert, API, RedSea, Hannah and the Trident.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The likelihood of the two tests being exactly the same is very low. The Trident accuracy on calcium is +|-15 ppm
Hannah accuracy is +|-6%

so if the trident is on the low end of its accuracy then the real water is at 352 ppm. If the Hannah is at the high end of its accuracy, then the water is at 380. These numbers still have a spread but are more inline.

I think you could chase this all the time with salifert, API, RedSea, Hannah and the Trident.
Agreed. I trust my trident 100%.

I think the best option is to verify what it reads with a known quantity. Then I wouldn’t compare any test to any test.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I trust my trident 100%.

I think the best option is to verify what it reads with a known quantity. Then I wouldn’t compare any test to any test.
I just can’t imagine my calcium being as low as the trident says it is. It’s a 65 gallon system and I do 2 gallon per day auto water changes, along with .75 gallon drip of Kalkwasser per day and also 50ml of calcium 2 part per night. I’m new to reef keeping and still trying to learn. Just puzzling my rookie brain...

The Magnesium differences seems weird too. The Mag test results of the calibration fluid were only off by 35 but the tank water is off by 85...

I’m really just going for stability and also preparing my tank for automation for a one week family vacation at the end of February.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah accuracy is +|-6%

I don’t expect them to be the same. I’d be happy with a 30 point difference. I just wanna know what it is roughly so I can get my tank on a reliable dosing schedule.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t expect them to be the same. I’d be happy with a 30 point difference. I just wanna know what it is roughly so I can get my tank on a reliable dosing schedule.
I get that, I guess I just mean you have to pick something to believe. Personally I use my trident to make sure things aren’t changing. But I don’t look at it and see 450 and believe that is exactly my calcium level. But I know it’s not 250 because my corals are happy.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use my Hanna Calcium checker, I use distilled water instead of RO/DI. It is far more accurate this way. RO/DI can have calcium in in which makes checker read high and inconsistent.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back