Neptune Trident Reagent Re-use

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing a theory.
I stopped throwing out older trident reagents and started simply topping them off with new reagent.
No problems so far. I've been doing this for 2 months now and I'm still getting accurate test results.
The reagents are expensive and hard to get so if this continues to work, I will continue to use the reagents I have and stop throwing reagents away as Neptune says I should.

Anyone else tried this?
Any issues?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped throwing out older trident reagents and started simply topping them off with new reagent.
No problems so far. I've been doing this for 2 months now and I'm still getting accurate test results.
The reagents are expensive and hard to get so if this continues to work, I will continue to use the reagents I have and stop throwing reagents away as Neptune says I should.

Anyone else tried this?
Any issues?
I read a thread here that someone collected all the left overs in one bottle of each and then when has full set of the 3 uses them for the 2 months and seems to work for him. So I have started to have what’s left at bottom of mine to possibly try aswell if in a bind with no regents

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great to me. I’m willing to try if you’re getting positive results. I’m tired of the cat and mouse game with Neptune. First you can’t get the Trident, now it’s the reagents.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 111 left, come on anyone who owns a trident! When will you see the six month supply again!

there’s a limit of two though. Stick up!

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyone else tried this?
Any issues?
Nope, but a good idea. Wouldn’t want to do it endlessly, but worth it for the relative short term.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I’ve read this back when it was posted I’ve been reusing mine as well with good results. I’ve matched it up with my Hanna and Salifert test and seems to be right on the money.

U

User1

View Badges
Honestly, it is a stupid idea. Not recommended by Neptune. Reagents are not expensive. If they are then the Trident is not probably your top priority. Blunt I know but to put it into perspective a Red Sea Pro test kit is close to 60 bucks for 75 tests I believe. 6 month Trident kit is a tick under 100.

Taking a step back the reason why it isn't recommended, by Neptune, is two fold. First they expire or have a must use by date. Second, they have dye lots. Those two reasons alone are why you do not want to do this. I didn't even get into the possible contamination bit but that could be reason three.

Lets try this. Have you ever had tile put down in your house? Either by yourself or paying someone to do it? When you do the recommendation is to buy all of the tile plus extra (5 - 10% depending on how you lay/cut) at the same time due to....wait for it...matching dye lot. This is because there can be a slight change in green or what is used to make green. Or any other color or cut from the rock if it is natural, etc.

TL; DR - I understand the attraction just like a moth to a flame. However, it isn't recommended by Neptune for a couple good reasons.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it is a stupid idea. Not recommended by Neptune. Reagents are not expensive. If they are then the Trident is not probably your top priority. Blunt I know but to put it into perspective a Red Sea Pro test kit is close to 60 bucks for 75 tests I believe. 6 month Trident kit is a tick under 100.

Taking a step back the reason why it isn't recommended, by Neptune, is two fold. First they expire or have a must use by date. Second, they have dye lots. Those two reasons alone are why you do not want to do this. I didn't even get into the possible contamination bit but that could be reason three.

Lets try this. Have you ever had tile put down in your house? Either by yourself or paying someone to do it? When you do the recommendation is to buy all of the tile plus extra (5 - 10% depending on how you lay/cut) at the same time due to....wait for it...matching dye lot. This is because there can be a slight change in green or what is used to make green. Or any other color or cut from the rock if it is natural, etc.

TL; DR - I understand the attraction just like a moth to a flame. However, it isn't recommended by Neptune for a couple good reasons.

I understand what you are saying.
However...

This is a HOBBY GRADE TEST. No matter what, the results we get are a ballpark result. I need to stay within a range and notice trends. I don't need exact numbers and won't get exact numbers from the Trident or any other tests including ICP.

What I will say is I have seen is consistent results with topping off rather that throwing reagent away. I have confirmed that with both at home tests (Red Sea, Tropic Marin, Hanna checker and Salifert) and ICP testing (Triton and ATI).

I'm not saying Trident reagent is super expensive because it's not. It is however hard to find in stock.
I also don't like to blindly spend money just because a company tells me to.

No disrespect to you or to Neptune but I have been doing this for about 4 to 5 months now and my results have been where they are supposed to be and that has been confirmed by multiple sources (Red Sea tests, Salifert tests, Tropic Marin tests, Hanna checker tests, Triton ICP tests and ATI ICP tests)

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been saving leftovers since I got the trident in May 2019. More for curiosity than actually using them. When COVID hit and reagent became hard to get I though I might have to use them .... so far I have not. My guess is that they’re probably fine, but for $20 per month not worth the ‘risk’. Better that than not running the Trident I suppose.

3FC526C0-B884-429F-875C-835B860BBA75.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
I understand what you are saying.
However...

This is a HOBBY GRADE TEST. No matter what, the results we get are a ballpark result. I need to stay within a range and notice trends. I don't need exact numbers and won't get exact numbers from the Trident or any other tests including ICP.

What I will say is I have seen is consistent results with topping off rather that throwing reagent away. I have confirmed that with both at home tests (Red Sea, Tropic Marin, Hanna checker and Salifert) and ICP testing (Triton and ATI).

I'm not saying Trident reagent is super expensive because it's not. It is however hard to find in stock.
I also don't like to blindly spend money just because a company tells me to.

No disrespect to you or to Neptune but I have been doing this for about 4 to 5 months now and my results have been where they are supposed to be and that has been confirmed by multiple sources (Red Sea tests, Salifert tests, Tropic Marin tests, Hanna checker tests, Triton ICP tests and ATI ICP tests)

It is a hobby grade kit as are the others we use. Agreed. The key for me is the dye lot and expiration/shelf life.

Not saying it is you but a lot of the negativity about the trident or confusion is around the reagents. Automated testing requires reagents, maintenance, probes, reference fluid, and other similar things to work. They need to be replaced or refilled. So when I see the posts talking about reagents it sort of baffles me a bit as we knew it going into it. Doesn't matter which one we use, right? Even manual kits have to be replaced.

Anyway there isn't a right or wrong. I guess I need to look at it from the other view of what if... What if we can't get reagents then what. Fair point.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have been doing is to mix new reagents in with the old. (Top off)
I have not been letting them sit idle.

Think like this...
Besides the dye lot, you can buy the 3 month supply right?
So... I'm not worried about expiration. I'm only concerned about getting in the right range.
So far, everything has been spot on.

Back