Neptune Wav pumps discontinued?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The devil in me thinks it has more to do with them being made by sicce who isn’t under their umbrella of brands. They definitely had a longevity issue. For me, they seemed to always make it to the 18-24 month mark. A couple months is pretty bad.

Aperture and Sicce have an incredibly good relationship last I heard.

Last time I talked to BRS about the WAV pump it had not been discontinued, but a lack of parts made them impossible to keep in stock right now.

With Aperture now owing them all, that means Ecotech’s patent is open to other companies within the company. A Neptune branded dry side that plugs into the 24v port would be pretty cool. Cut out a power brick and controller. One single cord from the dry side would be super compelling!

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aperture and Sicce have an incredibly good relationship last I heard.

Last time I talked to BRS about the WAV pump it had not been discontinued, but a lack of parts made them impossible to keep in stock right now.

With Aperture now owing them all, that means Ecotech’s patent is open to other companies within the company. A Neptune branded dry side that plugs into the 24v port would be pretty cool. Cut out a power brick and controller. One single cord from the dry side would be super compelling!
Totally agree there, I’ve been saying that for awhile but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of support out there. There’s a lot of people already invested in other pumps like ecotech that have always had power bricks and controllers that don’t really see the appeal. I get it, if I had a fancy controller cabinet with cutouts for everything and neon lights I wouldn’t care either. I’m sure there has to be a few people still running wavs out there that will need replacements at some point. I’m sure I’m oversimplifying the idea of the ease of a mp dry side connecting to one link but it can’t be that difficult. You don’t realize how spoiled you are with one link until you start thinking about the logistics of switching to something else. Especially when you’re not capable anymore. When you don’t have a lot of real estate, just ugh. The dry side cabinet I have is plumb full. Finding space for six power bricks and controllers isn’t happening without moving everything around or just dumping them in a pile and hoping I don’t start a fire. In the past I might have enjoyed the task and taken the time to reorganize everything. But with my vision, motor issues and the probability of not being able to get back up off the floor looming in my head. It’s scary. When you stop laughing at the help I’ve fallen and can’t get up commercials you’ll know where I’m at! Ha Learning a new app that most likely doesn’t play well with a screen reader is scary too. I’ve been in the apex world long enough back with vision that even though it doesn’t work perfectly with a screen reader I can figure it out for the most part.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had great experiences with Neptune customer service. They responded to my inquiry from yesterday afternoon (Saturday), today on Sunday…. For a non-emergency inquiry! Can’t complain about that. They were adamant that the wav is not discontinued (bold text even) and noted the part availability others mentioned above (which, I believe has been over a year now). Sounds promising…. Until I got to the when/if statement regarding production. To me, that’s hinting at the possibility of it not happening. I wasn’t expecting a response in regards to a revised version or cross platform option and obviously didn’t get one. Strangely, they recommended the mp if one isn’t willing to wait it out…..oh and no pump only replacements are available anymore either. Response below if interested. I did not include names.

I totally understand the frustration with the WAV availability - it's been a real headache for all of us. Personally, it's been a bummer because I like the WAV so much and used it personally for many installations prior to the parts shortage.

I can assure you that the WAV has not been discontinued. The manufacturing teams have been working really hard to secure the part we need to resume making them. Unfortunately, I don't have any insider info for you here though. I have no idea when (or if) that production will actually resume. Once it resumes, stock will need to be generated and distributed.

I get if you need to move on - fish and coral can't wait for production issues to get sorted. When I can't use a WAV, I personally use a Vortech. Obviously the addtional drivers and cords are an adjustment, but the pumps themselves are rock solid.
Happy reefing,

Last edited:
OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s a new year now…… lost yet another pump and still no wav pumps anywhere. Boy, that part they needed to start manufacturing these again must be made out of unobtanium! Pretty sure they could have sourced an alternative if they actually wanted to continue making this product. I’m thinking that was a line of bull pucky anyway. RIP wav

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude two out last night was told by apex to buy mp40 or 60. what the heck!? I loved the 1link. I really don’t have room for ANOTHER powerblock or controller

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I’m NOT SPENDING on mp40’s with all their rats nest of cable and bricks. what the heck Neptune!!! If the mp40 plugged into 1link the ok let’s talk. But I feel like at some point a product will drop that is 1link compatible whether that be a mp40 or WAV V2. I would be so so so ticked if I spent on eco tech or the like then that product dropped. I mean it has to right? Right???? Ugh. I’m sitting here with return only flow.
So yeah leaning in the jeboa direction

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m thinking. Could you snip the wire before the power brick and wire it into the dc24 outlets using the bare wire connectors?
This pump

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m thinking. Could you snip the wire before the power brick and wire it into the dc24 outlets using the bare wire connectors?
This pump
AFAIK the dc24 is only on or off (not variable for different flow). 1 link is variable but requires the data portion to be functional. So, in theory, you could eliminate a power brick for a 24v pump as long as it’s at or below the wattage (not certain but i have 35w stuck in my head for some reason). That would be total for the pump and the controller needed unless you just wanted on/off only. Myself, I’d rather replace a $20 24v power brick when it dies vs a 1link module or worse yet eb832. I gave up holding my breath for a 1link mp series or gen 2 wav. I think it’s been two years now since wavs were available. If you figure something out post a write up!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back