Nerites being bums

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just added more nerites to my tank.
Theyve been in about three days.
I added them to try and tackle the diatoms and algae problem. However, the last two days they have almost all been in the top corner of the tank where the auto feeder is.
Yesterday I took them off the glass and placed them on the live rock to try and get at least some of the hair algae off. But this morning they are exactly in the same spot I removed them from yesterday.

Should I just leave them in the corner and forget about them? I am worried the hair algae is going to get out of control before I can tackle this problem.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal snail behavior, whether it's Nerites, Astraea, etc. I don't know if it's part of the acclimation process to a new ph/salinity, trying to get to higher oxygen concentrations near the top of the tank, or that sweet sweet film algae that grows at the air/water interface- either way, whenever I add new snails they always crowd near the top of the water for the first few days/week. After that, they'll go searching out your delicious microalgaes and start gobbling the rocks and the rest of the glass. I'd let them be- they'll find their way down eventually.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back