Nerites being bums

alimac122

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
975
Reaction score
3,562
Location
Oklahoma City
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just added more nerites to my tank.
Theyve been in about three days.
I added them to try and tackle the diatoms and algae problem. However, the last two days they have almost all been in the top corner of the tank where the auto feeder is.
Yesterday I took them off the glass and placed them on the live rock to try and get at least some of the hair algae off. But this morning they are exactly in the same spot I removed them from yesterday.

Should I just leave them in the corner and forget about them? I am worried the hair algae is going to get out of control before I can tackle this problem.
 
That's normal snail behavior, whether it's Nerites, Astraea, etc. I don't know if it's part of the acclimation process to a new ph/salinity, trying to get to higher oxygen concentrations near the top of the tank, or that sweet sweet film algae that grows at the air/water interface- either way, whenever I add new snails they always crowd near the top of the water for the first few days/week. After that, they'll go searching out your delicious microalgaes and start gobbling the rocks and the rest of the glass. I'd let them be- they'll find their way down eventually.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new