0   0   0
I got a Nero 3 today.
Now where to position?
And how much power
Who has one and what program.
Showing my placement

20220125_182724.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only powerhead in the tank?

I would probably put it about 3/4 of the way up, and in the middle facing forward. Percentage is up to you, but I owuld put it as strong as possible without blowing a divot into the sandbed.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would probably put it about 3/4 of the way up, and in the middle facing forward. Percentage is up to you, but I owuld put it as strong as possible without blowing a divot into the sandbed.
Yes only powerhead. Return was possibly enough.

I'm thinking it could be mounted on the wider even. Magnet should be small enough to fit. Not tried yet

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never do 1 powerhead. Even in a small cube I would do 2, but set very low.

Reason being is, with 1 you only get 1 sided laminar flow. Whic is not ideal. It can work, but not ideal. What you want to create is "swaying" or a back and forth of the water(think ocean waves as they go in and out). With 2 powerheads, one on each side of the tank, you can create that "chaotic" flow.

Plus as things grow in, you can turn up the flow as need be, instead of trying to add another down the road and trying to figure out the flow pattern down the road.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good article on here by Dana Riddle. His feeling is to create as strong as a flow in the entire tank as possible without shifting the sand. I have three in my 90 all opposing. However depends on what you are going to grow. I read with my mushrooms they like a gentle flow. I placed mine near the top 45 gallon it creates the wave effect. Just enough flow as I read to not prevent them from opening. I have an old huge choke if you will which is variable from zero to 120V Going to play with that in my new tank< My only question is if the power heads will be ok running at lower voltage

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That position would blast 2 torch sitting on top of my rock.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch's actually like stronger flow IME. I had one that actually liked being whipped about, decreased flow to it(actually moved it to lower flow), and it started to die off. Moved it back to higher flow, and it thrives to this day.

Torch's like stronger flow then most euphyllia.

But only you know your coral, and where to place a PH for maximum health.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch's actually like stronger flow IME. I had one that actually liked being whipped about, decreased flow to it(actually moved it to lower flow), and it started to die off. Moved it back to higher flow, and it thrives to this day.

Torch's like stronger flow then most euphyllia.

But only you know your coral, and where to place a PH for maximum health.
My 1st torch had flow from the return only for almost 3 months and in that time has split once so far. It seems to like where it is so I just put a Hulk next to it. Both enjoy the flow and extend well.
I'll play with power and see how others go around the tank. Sinularia, Xenia and Palm trees are the next concerns. Moved them already

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st torch had flow from the return only for almost 3 months and in that time has split once so far. It seems to like where it is so I just put a Hulk next to it. Both enjoy the flow and extend well.
I'll play with power and see how others go around the tank. Sinularia, Xenia and Palm trees are the next concerns. Moved them already
What do you mean by a torch. Picture would be nice to see. I have what I call a leather maybe the same thing. Mine likes flow as well

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current position is top back right.
Here's my settings. Working around lighting.
Higher flow when corals closed. Then a bit random though the day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220126-104310_myAI.jpg
    Screenshot_20220126-104310_myAI.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current position is top back right.
Here's my settings. Working around lighting.
Higher flow when corals closed. Then a bit random though the day.
Have since change to this.
Things seem happy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221224_193011_myAI.jpg
    Screenshot_20221224_193011_myAI.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 100
Back