Neros503's biocube 29

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I'm finally starting my second tank and first build thread after I realizing that my biocube 14 was to small and unstable. I bought a new biocube 29 a couple months ago when I saw it on craigslist for $100 including stand, heaters, and a couple power heads. I recently went to lfs and got some dry rock and started making my aquascape. I have now added in the sand bed and water. I'm trying a fishes cycle with Dr. Tims one and only and ammonium chloride. For the fish I'm going to have my two clownfish from my 14, but I'm not sure what other fish I want yet (any recommendations would be great :)). I would love to get a captive bred mandarin from biota and would appreciate any advice about this. I've heard that a kessil a150w might not be strong enough, but I'm going to try it cause I got one for $50. It's saying theres an error with adding pictures so I'll add them when I can.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great deal on the tank!

I'm a bit on the fence about a mandarin. I really want one as well and I have a reefer 170 which is about 43 gal total system volume - similar to yours. I have read that in tanks this size they will starve unless your ok spending lots of money on pods regularly to feed them.

I have heard there are ones sold online that might eat other frozen food? Something to check into!

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great deal on the tank!

I'm a bit on the fence about a mandarin. I really want one as well and I have a reefer 170 which is about 43 gal total system volume - similar to yours. I have read that in tanks this size they will starve unless your ok spending lots of money on pods regularly to feed them.

I have heard there are ones sold online that might eat other frozen food? Something to check into!
I might try it eventually but not anytime soon. online it says that the captive breds will eat frozen and even pellet though. Also in the middle chamber I'm working on making a large refugium for the pods.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a picture of the tank from today
1609647786626.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past couple weeks I made a media basket with egg crate and added it in the second chamber along with the refugium. I also upgraded the pump to an MJ 1200. Today I got some acrylic and cut it to fit inside the rim of the tank, I'll show pics when I can.

parameters:
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 0-3 ppm
Ph: 8.4

Tanks at 62 degrees cause I switched to a different heater so I'm waiting for it to warm up, then I'll start acclimating the clowns to the tank.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I'm thinking about:

ORA yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp
ORA red scooter dragonet (or biota mandarin, which ones easier?)
ocellaris clownfish pair (from biocube 14)
biota royal gramma
ORA white spotted filefish
captive bred pajama or Kaudern's cardinalfish

I'm going to choose only a couple from the list cause I don't have to much rock, and would love any suggestions on what fish would be best.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pistol shrimp and goby pair would be cool. Also the pair of clowns! You were asking before, your Kessil A160 is definitely powerful enough for some LPS/softies. Cool tank!

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pistol shrimp and goby pair would be cool. Also the pair of clowns! You were asking before, your Kessil A160 is definitely powerful enough for some LPS/softies. Cool tank!
its a kessil a150, is that the same?

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past couple weeks I made a media basket with egg crate and added it in the second chamber along with the refugium. I also upgraded the pump to an MJ 1200. Today I got some acrylic and cut it to fit inside the rim of the tank, I'll show pics when I can.

parameters:
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 0-3 ppm
Ph: 8.4

Tanks at 62 degrees cause I switched to a different heater so I'm waiting for it to warm up, then I'll start acclimating the clowns to the tank.
here are some pics of the fuge/ 2nd chamber, FTS, and acrylic top. (The heaters going in chamber 1)
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks still slowly warming up-68.5 degrees. If I have time I'll get the clowns in tonight. Whats the best way to acclimate them to this tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding the clowns, how long should I wait before introducing more fish?

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
68.5 is too cold for clown fish. I have a 29g biocube for 2.5 yrs now. My biggest regret is putting in fine pink fiji sand. It gets blown around quite a bit.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
68.5 is too cold for clown fish. I have a 29g biocube for 2.5 yrs now. My biggest regret is putting in fine pink fiji sand. It gets blown around quite a bit.
We got the temp to mid 70s and there aclimating just fine now.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are in!!! we got them in las t night and they seemed fine. This morning I was checking the temp and the tank glass was warm and the water was very warm. I think my digital thermometer was way off cause when I tested with 3 other non digital, they all showed that the tank was around 95 degrees:oops:. Were adding ice to the tank to try to cool it down for now. Its strange because I set my heater to 79 and the digital says 81 degrees. Maybe just bad heater and thermometer? The clowns are still alive and I hope I can cool the tank down in time. If you have any suggestions on what to do I would appreciate it.

Back