Nervous and Excited! First Reef Tanking In Design

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nervous and excited to start this new hobby!! The name...?? After doing some research I've figured out that this new hobby is going to be costly... So I tried to have a little fun with it.

I've wanted a saltwater tank for a long time, but never had the guts to build it.
Well, we had a baby last November and he loves animals of all kinds so I thought it would a lot of fun for him to have... And he is a great excuse for me to finally do this.

I didn't want to start small and change everything out a bunch of times so I am going to start with a Waterbox 130.4. I haven't ordered it yet because there is so much else to design and build before I will even be ready for the tank.

I'm designing my water mixing station and delivery system now, then start the plumbing and electrical work. This is going to be a long term project, but I hope to have my tank ordered in a couple months. I am starting with the mixing station because I will be ordering dry rock first and getting it soaking at least 2 months before the tank arrives.

Can't wait to get going. Any recommendations you have are greatly appreciated!
Welcome!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!! You’re going about your build process in a way that’s quite similar to mine, so high five for taking your time and really coming up with a plan! Feel free to ask any questions you have, that’s what the rest of us are here for!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

giphy.gif

OP
OP
R

Reef2Rags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

giphy.gif

I wasn't sure about doing a tank build thread because I am so new to the hobby, but you've convinced me to do it. I have a lot to learn and do before I even order my tank, but I will document the 'Pre-Build' to include. 1st step happened this morning, I ordered the NSF Brute cans to set up my mixing station so I can buy the dry rock and get it soaking!!

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure about doing a tank build thread because I am so new to the hobby, but you've convinced me to do it. I have a lot to learn and do before I even order my tank, but I will document the 'Pre-Build' to include. 1st step happened this morning, I ordered the NSF Brute cans to set up my mixing station so I can buy the dry rock and get it soaking!!
The build thread that I really like, though I am sure there are others is new&noclue. She has an entire year documented. she posts updates once a month or when something changes...Def look it up for ideas and see how you could have a documented history of your tank to look back on and for us to enjoy your success.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back