Never add "THIS INVERT" to your reef aquarium?

Are there common inverts (snails, crabs, etc.) that you would NEVER put in your reef?

• YES (tell us why)

Votes: 165 74.0%
  • NO

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're talking about clean up crews this week and a BIG part of a CUC are inverts! But not all inverts are good for a reef tank. Some are good at cleaning but are bad at coral nipping. Let's talk about it!

What are some common inverts (snails, crabs, etc.) that you would NEVER put in your reef? Why?

image via @CornishCrustyCorals
IMG_20210226_001217_377.jpg
Tough to say never, but from past experiences I avoid any carnivorous snails (including Nassarius) and all crustaceans. I have one nassarius and one hermit that have hitchhiked into my reef, and as of now am not terribly bothered. Likely, i will also never get things that can become a potential threat to lifestock like Sea Hares, Sea Cucumbers, Sea Apples etc.

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a thought......

They say gorilla crabs are horrible and must be taken out asap right????
I've battled getting one out years ago and currently trying to get one out on my new tank...
However, this gorilla crab has left everything alone and it's been more than a month now..
The same applies to the gorilla crab i killed years ago..he lived happily with all my corals for over a year until I discovered him..
From my recollection, when I had a peppermint in the past, these jerks would be destroying lps corals within about a week of introduction esp if u have no aiptasia..

So.... Maybe it's unfair to say gorilla crabs are the spawn of the devil!!

I mean I had a anemone crab live on my bta for 2 weeks. I even fed his butt regularly... But within 2 weeks.. I caught him eating my hammer!

Thoughts??
Whoever wrote this post is a Gorilla crab.

MuggyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any research? Do you know have any idea what they eat?
Nope, thats why I have no interest in getting one right now. Just looked up their diet and my tank just isn’t there yet. Maybe in another 6 months I’ll think about looking into them, my lfs always has a Linckia or two in their coral colony tank.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, thats why I have no interest in getting one right now. Just looked up their diet and my tank just isn’t there yet. Maybe in another 6 months I’ll think about looking into them, my lfs always has a Linckia or two in their coral colony tank.
Yeah, they draw a lot of attention so you see them plenty often at shops...they're very fragile and sensitive and thrive off biofilm that grows on live rock. What part of the biofilm do they actually need? Trick question...nobody actually knows what they're consuming for nutrition in the biofilm and therefore if you have the "right" biofilm to sustain one. The only definite way to feed one is using live ocean rock with natural biofilm already grown on it.

MuggyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will never have another peppermint shrimp! The one I had ate 3 rainbow bubble tips before I could get it out of the tank.
Yeah I have 3 peppermint shrimp, 2 are just fine but 1 is a complete *******. It destroyed my first Duncan but before it died i didn’t see it mess with the coral so got another and just made sure they were all fed. Welp today caught him going after the new Duncan so had to create a protector out of a bottle for the coral until I build my sump and place at least the one shrimp in there.

Bradig326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have had good luck with peppermint shrimp. I had a few for 3 years or so. And no incidents that I'm aware of. I do have a Hoevens wrasse that patrolled the tank so maybe he made them nervous.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wracking my brain and I can't think of anything common I'd write-off. All fit certain scenarios. Gorilla crabs, mantis shrimp, and whelks are often hitchhikers and not common or desirable.

All shrimp are ---holes. Peppermint, skunk, pink, etc. They do their jobs though. You'll see aiptasia disappear with peppermints, skunks will clean your fish past the point of obnoxious, but pinks don't do anything useful other than dig beach glass out of the sand. They all will rip food from corals and anemones. And bother them with their antennae if the tank is small enough. The flame hawk I've had for 7 years tolerates no shrimp though. They're just snacks.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only common invert I can think of that I don't see myself wanting in a reef tank at any point is the longspine urchin, and that's really just because I don't particularly want to have to worry about/make room for the spines.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs!! They are murderers out to steal a new house!

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I’ve kept tuxedos longer than 5 years, I don’t think their life expectancy is much longer than that. All my others I’ve traded away. I can’t tell you the last time I had one die on me.

I have 15 captive bred tuxedos in my 220 now as well, I expect them to do just as well as the others in the past.
Likewise, I have 12 pincushion urchins (started with 14) over 6 years old

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a longspine urchin since I put my first LR in the tank at week 2. It was smaller than my little finger nail. Now body size of a gold ball.
I'm now at 10 months and it's still alive. My No3 has never been below 15ppm and currently at 50.
I also found a new Tuxedo urchin recently from my last piece of rock.
I love Tuxedo urchin. I have 5 in my 200 gal. From time to time I see tracks of clean path on the live rock. I know who is doing overtime last night ;)

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lo
I love Tuxedo urchin. I have 5 in my 200 gal. From time to time I see tracks of clean path on the live rock. I know who is doing overtime last night ;)
My longspine cleans up coralline off the rock as I am trying to grow it. I wish it would tackle the cualerpa instead

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp. Don’t believe anyone who tells you they’re reef safe. I’ve had a hermit crab or two go rouge and start picking on coral before but it’s nothing compared to the damage that an emerald crab or a peppermint shrimp can cause. In my experience, it’s not if but when they’ll start ripping up your coral for food.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp are true crab killers. I had a rouge one that killed every hermit crab it came across. the weird thing is he would hang out by my snowflake eel, and the eel wouldn’t eat him. I think that shrimp was the one thing i was hoping the eel would eat because I couldn’t catch it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back