OP
OP
richarddeweerd

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I installed the Apex. I also took some time to drill some holes in the backboard of the stand so I could have a better cable routing. I also hang the controllers of all my DC pumps.

IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1751.jpg
IMG_1754.jpg
IMG_1752.jpg

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to check out your build thread. Time for some updated photo's. Especially the top that couldn't hold back the jumping fish! I'm sure a lot has changed in 3 months.

OP
OP
richarddeweerd

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to check out your build thread. Time for some updated photo's. Especially the top that couldn't hold back the jumping fish! I'm sure a lot has changed in 3 months.
Here you are :)

Some recent pictures.

Don't mind the toadstool in the middle, he's going through a molting

IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg

So the tank is running for 8 months now and it is time for some reflections and regrets:

As you can see I added a Red sea net cover, it is a pain in the a** to make it, especially with multiple cutouts. It is in 2 parts and on the right side I had to leave a slit for my cooling fan in the summer. This is used by 2 fish to escape, one of them is the miracle bluestreak blenny that was rescued by our cat.

After the install I added a UV filter, a Tunze Chaeto reactor and a Apex.

I'm not completely happy with the tunze reactor. First of all, the pump. It has the inlet on the bottom and no feet to stand on therefor it can't be placed on the bottom of the sync. The second problem that I have with it is that after a while the chaeto stops spinning and therefor grows less than it could.

My biggest regret is the Red Sea Reefer 600 skimmer. After a couple of days it started to skim reasonably, maybe a bit on the wet side, but at that time I only had 3 small fish and a shrimp. But in the last 8 months it has happened 4 times that it started to overflow out of nowhere. The only thing I can do is opening of the valve and let it go back. After a couple of days it is ok.
It is also noisy as can be. So it is on the list of items to be replaced, I definitely go for a DC skimmer next time.

I'm also currently discussing to add a top cover but without the cover ;) . It will be 6 inches high and it will hide the waterline. But It will be open at the top so I can still use the led lights at 12" from the water level. But on the inside there will be a ledge to put 2 simple square net covers in. They will be out of sight and I can put the auto feeder there out of sight too.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back