New 1500 gallon tank build

tangs123tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to embark on a journey in the coming 6-12 months. I want to build my dream reef tank in my basement. I have a large dedicated room for it in my basement, which is 19 x 27 feet of open space. Its unfinished right now. I'll probably leave about a 6 x 19 foot space unfinished for the sump, and then place the tank in the rest of the space, which I will finish.

Planning on a peninsula. Would like to do a 16 long, 4 deep, 3 foot tall tank.

My problem I have is the tank wont fit through all the walls and corners in my basement and to its eventual destination.

What options do I have in both glass/acrylic in terms of getting this thing in pieces and then having it built on site?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to embark on a journey in the coming 6-12 months. I want to build my dream reef tank in my basement. I have a large dedicated room for it in my basement, which is 19 x 27 feet of open space. Its unfinished right now. I'll probably leave about a 6 x 19 foot space unfinished for the sump, and then place the tank in the rest of the space, which I will finish.

Planning on a peninsula. Would like to do a 16 long, 4 deep, 3 foot tall tank.

My problem I have is the tank wont fit through all the walls and corners in my basement and to its eventual destination.

What options do I have in both glass/acrylic in terms of getting this thing in pieces and then having it built on site?
Anything is possible. If you have a builder in your area, Im sure you can get them to build the tank in your basement. Big Tank.....I would get quotes on both Glass and Acrylic...........Where are you located?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. If you can get this tank up and running, it'll be legendary. Not many reefs are that big.
True! Just re-read the size.....it's a monster! You might consider a fiberglass tank with viewing windows too.......might be cheaper in the long run, and you can get the tank built in pieces with flanges to bolt together so it's not a one-way road for you. I've built some tanks like that before that are assembled on site. Works well.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a guy in Minnesota who did something similar with a 22 Foot tank. BRS did an episode where he talks about all the good and the bad.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a guy in Minnesota who did something similar with a 22 Foot tank. BRS did an episode where he talks about all the good and the bad.

Man! I'm scared of a tank that large. That's a lot of water... :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I would go acrylic on something that big for sure. And even that wouldnt keep the bad things out of my mind.

Rozier123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a plywood and glass aquarium, you can build the base, wall and frame from plywood and studs. The viewing panels, both sides and front pane out of glass. You can source 3/4” glass from glass cages and seal the wood with fiberglass and epoxy. Check out aquariumdomain and AlexG on YouTube. They are both contributors to reef2reef also.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% would do a plywood aquarium for this as stated above. Definitely research it a little. I had the same issue, just not at your scale. The only way I could get what I wanted was to build on-site. The materials ended up being more than I thought just because I went all OCD on it and probably overdid it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back