New 180 Build - Mini Coop's Dream Tank

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - assuming the flashers are different species :D The leopards you could do a pair of, or two different species. I find that the female leopards are prettier than the males, but thats my personal preference. Female leopards tend to stay females and vice versa. I have a ornate leopard and a 'regular' leopard and they have both been female for years. Blue star leopards are GORGEOUS ;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D
Yes - assuming the flashers are different species :D The leopards you could do a pair of, or two different species. I find that the female leopards are prettier than the males, but thats my personal preference. Female leopards tend to stay females and vice versa. I have a ornate leopard and a 'regular' leopard and they have both been female for years. Blue star leopards are GORGEOUS ;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed
I’m thinking filament, Carpenter and McCosker
Then maybe a pair of blue star leopards.

Although I don’t think the pics of blue stars do them justice.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the honeycomb looking part? That is where the aptasia is growing
One very satisfying option is to use a hot soldering iron and target zap the aiptasia... just did it today on some new stuff I got. Very very satisfying:D

If it weren't something that I wanted in my DT, I would have placed all of it into my pest tank, though...

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. As for your little hitch hicker do as said above and scrape it off real good, give things a rinse and call it a day. The coral is rather hardy and won't be bothered. Just don't go scraping on the fleshy part. Don't stress over it.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeeekkkk. So excited! Sold some live rock out of my 120 tonight!! That allowed us to move some rock! I caught my serpent star (who was out of water for 10 minutes because my brother and sis in law didn’t pay attention when they pulled some out)

But I thought he was a lost cause to catch! He will go in tonight! Also caught Oscar - my flame hawk!!

They are drip acclimating now! Can’t wait to get them in the main tank!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap!!! I looked at the tank tonight, and what did I see?!?!?!?!?!!? TANK LICE!!!!! YEAHHHHH!!!! (Aka Copepods).

Ok - I haven't fed copepods - do they just "develop"?? There are TONS of them!!! I am assuming this is an AWESOME sign of the tank cycle! Correct me if I am wrong. But I was pretty pumped! :) .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods come and go - it's not always clear why. A few months ago I had an explosion of small white micro stars; now they're gone. Who knows!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, all caught up...

Great start to this build! I'm partial to the 180 so I really like this haha.

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Mini Coop you may have stated this, but as far as plumbing, how are you set up? Are you using both durso's and both returns? What diameter of pvc did you end up going with and are you happy with your plumbing now that the tank's been running for a bit? Any T's? Getting ready to do my plumbing and your tank is similar to mine and my sump will also be in the basement.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Mini Coop you may have stated this, but as far as plumbing, how are you set up? Are you using both durso's and both returns? What diameter of pvc did you end up going with and are you happy with your plumbing now that the tank's been running for a bit? Any T's? Getting ready to do my plumbing and your tank is similar to mine and my sump will also be in the basement.

I am using 2 dursos and 2 returns. I am not really happy with the plumbing. I am still messing with the noise factor. When I'm not running my power heads it's pretty quiet. When I am, it's inconsistent and louder. I have heard if you can do herbie drains it is better. I also am going to have to see about getting a cover for my overflows. I have some Antillean Nerite snails that are already climbing down my drains!! Found som in my sump tonight! I also have an open sump, no baffles, and haven't figured out how to get my strainer in my horse trough yet. So. I'm in a bit of a panic! Don't want them getting sucked into. Y skimmer or my return pump!

I have a couple of soft 90's in the drains, but nothing dramatic, but I'm still working on it. If you need any bends at all, I recommend the spa flex pvc. It is amazing!!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, just read it all.

Best of luck!

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2 dursos and 2 returns. I am not really happy with the plumbing. I am still messing with the noise factor. When I'm not running my power heads it's pretty quiet. When I am, it's inconsistent and louder. I have heard if you can do herbie drains it is better. I also am going to have to see about getting a cover for my overflows. I have some Antillean Nerite snails that are already climbing down my drains!! Found som in my sump tonight! I also have an open sump, no baffles, and haven't figured out how to get my strainer in my horse trough yet. So. I'm in a bit of a panic! Don't want them getting sucked into. Y skimmer or my return pump!

I have a couple of soft 90's in the drains, but nothing dramatic, but I'm still working on it. If you need any bends at all, I recommend the spa flex pvc. It is amazing!!
Okay, thanks for the reply, but what size PVC are you running and are you using any T's? I'm thinking 1 1/4" spa flex for my set up. I may look into the Herbie too, thanks!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the reply, but what size PVC are you running and are you using any T's? I'm thinking 1 1/4" spa flex for my set up. I may look into the Herbie too, thanks!

Oh. Sorry!! I have 1” drains and 3/4” returns. Your drains should be bigger than the return. I have one T on the return - but you want to avoid as many hard angles as possible.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - my salt is running at 1.027, and I would like to bring it down to 1.025. Not a huge deal either way. I have salt mixing for my weekly 10 gallon water change, but have been mixing it low.
Will I need to do a big water change with just RO/DI water? I don't want to mess up the parameters too much and put anything into shock.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do next couple water changes with lower salinity check after each if needed add top off
You have your ATO hookup yet?

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be a great calculator site called saltyzoo, but is gone now. Anyone know if there's a site that replaced it? That site would have told you exactly how many gallons it would take to get you back intro your desired salinity.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back