New 180 Build - Mini Coop's Dream Tank

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't say if it would or not
I started my tank with a similar product dr Tims and added my fish in couple days after,instead of adding ammonia,never had a spike in ammonia an all fish did well

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't say if it would or not
I started my tank with a similar product dr Tims and added my fish in couple days after,instead of adding ammonia,never had a spike in ammonia an all fish did well
I started with turbo start - which you are supposed to be able to add fish immediately after putting it in. However, I chickened out and was also listening to maybe too many people at the same time, and decided to do ghost feeding instead. Smart way. I am just hoping I fed enough ammonia that the bacteria didn't all die.

This bacteria was designed and is HIGHLY concentrated to NOT allow an ammonia spike, which I haven't had at all, no matter how much ghost feeding I have done as well as dead shrimp.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to @jsker for the idea - this is all your fault. It is posted on stubby's thread too, but it was too funny (to me at least) to not post as a staple on my build thread.
Stub Club Tshirt.jpg

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B8C6340B-DEE4-4466-9A53-15AF41BDF349.jpeg
368BEDEA-B8F9-4635-A343-0BA8C69879C6.jpeg
39BB7330-E21C-46B7-B935-7BD513167120.jpeg
Stubby is doing great!! So so much better! Wishing I would have the bully trapped instead of him. The bully is CONSTANTLY stalking Stubby. So, I may be seeing if my brother and sister in law want him for their 120. But I will give it time.

Parameters have been stable with 0 ammonia! Soooo...Nemo came home this morning!!! My sis-in-law couldn’t catch marlin! Hopefully she will in the morning! I also ordered some more bacteria just to add some more in. It can’t hurt!

With almost all of my snails dying in the last shipment, the seller is trying again. So, I will be staying home in the morning until they get here just to make sure they aren’t in the cold. I got some algae wafers for them since there isn’t too much in the tank yet. I’ll also be putting them in plastic containers so if they don’t make it I don’t have to pick each one out if they die.

My boys are SO happy to have a fish in the tank!!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65C9FF6F-CA1D-463A-A58F-3A70F9D0215E.jpeg
6A2F658D-3B3B-4900-A00A-3C0CB88F12E1.jpeg

Bully side
3CBF9892-B01E-4790-B395-720FC8021030.jpeg

Mr. Stubby
E8B2EEEA-6406-4A05-A064-16ED41948AA9.jpeg
Feb 4 update!!!!
I went away for several days to San Diego for work, and my husband did a great job!

Second order from Reefcleaners.org arrived and all made it. The first order was a mass exodus. I’m pretty sure not a single snail made it! Good customer service and re-sent the order.

Parameters are looking perfect. I’m using:
API - ammonia and nitrite
Sailfert - nitrate
Red Sea pro - calcium and magnesium.
(See attached for log)
Sg - 1.026

Stubby update: feeding him in the acrylic box was awful! And I figured he would starve if my husband had to do it, so I made a separator!! I had extra egg crate and extra netting from making the screens....so - wah-lah! It’s working great and he’s like a different fish! Even the gobys are coming out more. So - I think Mr. Bully is going to my sister in laws tank! She has my sailfin, Fox face, and flame hawk in there. That way he can get out in his place. She wanted a cardinal anyway. So rather than risk it, I think we will separate them.

I started getting diatom algae bloom. It’s subtle but there. Again - I have never cycled a tank the right way - so do I need to do anything or let it run it’s course? I have tons of snails in there so maybe that will provide some food for them.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine just run it's course and I had fish in the tank. Was neat to watch too, one day it just disappeared.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see the ammonia down to zero!!

I read through the whole thread today. Pretty impressive build!

Just an FYI for everyone. If you use Dr Tim's one and only bacteria to cycle a tank, YOU NEED AMMONIA for it to work. You need to add straight ammonia if no fish will be present, or a few small fish depending on tank size. The bacteria depend on an ammonia source to multiple. I'm not sure on the other brands, but I have talked to Dr Tim himself about this.

Might have missed or, or forgot. But what are your. Plans coral wise for the tank? Lps, sps, softie. Or my favorite a mixed reef??

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see the ammonia down to zero!!

I read through the whole thread today. Pretty impressive build!

Just an FYI for everyone. If you use Dr Tim's one and only bacteria to cycle a tank, YOU NEED AMMONIA for it to work. You need to add straight ammonia if no fish will be present, or a few small fish depending on tank size. The bacteria depend on an ammonia source to multiple. I'm not sure on the other brands, but I have talked to Dr Tim himself about this.

Might have missed or, or forgot. But what are your. Plans coral wise for the tank? Lps, sps, softie. Or my favorite a mixed reef??

Well, thanks for stopping by!! I am glad to have your feedback! YES!! I was dosing ammonia with ghost feeding with the turbo and think it may have been a mistake. One side said "don't you dare cycle your tank with fish" and the other "make sure you have fish to feed ammonia to the bacteria". Hard to make decisions, but all in all, it worked out great! I have Dr. Tim's to seed as I add fish.

Plans are your favorite - mixed reef!! :) Right now I just have LPS/softies. I would like to get into SPS, but haven't learned enough about the chemistry and dosing to be able to keep them yet. Taking it slow. I have never had very good luck frogspawn or hammer corals, so first I am going to try to master that! :)

Bob agren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversize your skimmer is a must! I at least double skimmer cap I run a skimmer rated for a 450 gal heavy bioload on a 200. A skimmer is the most important piece of support equipment to a reef tank. Also dc pumps are i think the best to have. Low heat transfer along with cheaper to operate. After 25yrs doing this it is always a learning experience.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking on Stuby, great he is doing great. I like the shirt.

Food, here is what I do link
Here is my recipe
Reef food recipe.png

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great and really appreciate your build thread! I'm very close to starting my own roller-coaster ride. My tank came on Sunday!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Dumb move of the night...I don’t have my ATO hooked up yet. So every other day or so I just fill with RODI straight from the system. A gallon or two is no big deal. Well. I let it run too long and forgot to set my timer so it got quite the fill. Salinity is fine.

Saw 2 of my Corals all *****. Temp in the tank was 76 degrees!! Thought my heater was broken until I realized I filled about 15 gallons of RO water that was cold!!! Ugh. Thank goodness the temp wasn’t too significant. They should be back out tomorrow. But they were not happy! This weekend the ATO is getting hooked up!!!

(PS - the amount of evaporation of a completely open tank with a 100 gallon open sump is HUGE!!!). I bet I lose 2-3 gallons per day!!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back