What kind of anthias?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the fish I have for the tank right now are small. So, I would like to get my school of anthias next! (Current fish in QT will be done in 2 weeks).

I am planning on getting 5 females with one male.
I can not spent $100 per fish or anything crazy. I would not consider myself an expert reefer, but am not afraid of any that might need some care to get to eat. (I have heard anthias can be finicky). I just want a beautiful school for my tank.

Stock list:
Already have/will have in main tank when they are added:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 Cardinal
2 wheeler's shrimp gobys
Scooter blenny
Flame hawk

Have in an old tank, will be adding LATER:
Foxface
Sailfin

Planned for the future (feel free to weigh in)
firefish
mandarin
powder blue tang
naso tang
McCosker wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
yellow corris (maybe - can't decide what I want the 3rd wrasse to be)
Niger Trigger - - - I know . . . risk with a mixed reef. Thinking I will get a baby and "raise him right" with the knowledge that he **may** have to find a new home if he is not a model citizen.

Also - would like fish that play nice - or as much as fish play nice.

Any quarantine advice for them? I usually QT for 6 weeks. I have a 20 gallon, and planning on getting small ones. I like to watch them grow. I run prazi week 1 and copper if ANYTHING suspicious comes up in the next 5 weeks.

Thanks for the help!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add 5 beautiful anthias. If you avoid the ones you find ugly I think you will enjoy them more. :p

Going to send you a PM with a more serious answer. ;)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a somewhat similar situation, and would consider Dispars / Ignitus or Randall's / Resplendent anthias. I think they're a decent balance between (moderately) hardy, peaceful and smaller size. Tried Bartlett's, which sadly didn't work out well.

~Bruce

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a melanurus wrasse for that third wrasse you cant decide! I've been reading how great they are for pests.

Will defer anthias to others though

ltmsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22970648-0889-48A4-B930-A5151E9E9E00.jpeg
I really like my Lyretail Anthias. I have 4 females and 1 male. The color really show well in my aquarium. You can see my male and 2 females in this picture.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? What is the max times of day you are willing to feed fresh food long term?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. Have you considered any pseudo anthias? always remain relatively small.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a somewhat similar situation, and would consider Dispars / Ignitus or Randall's / Resplendent anthias. I think they're a decent balance between (moderately) hardy, peaceful and smaller size. Tried Bartlett's, which sadly didn't work out well.

~Bruce
I strongly recommend these species. They are relatively hardy, more peaceful than lyretails, and shoal better than most other anthias.
I have heard lyretails can be really mean and aggressive toward each other and pick on the weakest one to death and then on to the next one. How true is that?
It depends on the circumstances. With more space, flow, and feedings they are more tolerant of each other.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. Have you considered any pseudo anthias? always remain relatively small.

When folks use the term 'anthias' in the context of reefing they actually mean pseudoanthias. The vast majority of the fish (maybe even all) available to us - including all of the ones mentioned in this thread so far - are pseudoanthias. If one is going for easier but still colorful then Ignitus/Dispar are probably the best choice. Randalls/resplendent are harder.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the circumstances. With more space, flow, and feedings they are more tolerant of each other.

True for bartletts as well - they need space and plenty of feeding, then they'll be less likely to kill each other off.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back