OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a large water change today or tomorrow for the main tank. First one since I got it going. Had a bit of an ammonia spike, had 250 snails as recommended from people, but they arrived, most of them dead (of course, I didn't know this for about 3 days because of the potential dormancy. So, I fished them all out. The seller is going to try to send another order. Hopefully this one is better! I am willing to try again. I don't know - I may have to add another round of bacteria, but I hope not! The first round was expensive enough. Ammonia has never gone above .5 in the entire cycling process, so hopefully that is a good sign!

Having some QT issues with the cardinals if you want to check it out.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-save-stubby.354418/

Ammonia has been between 0-.25 for almost 2 weeks, so hoping to add my clowns tomorrow! My sister in law is going to try to catch them for me before they wake up.

Got a few snails and crabs today to try to take care of the dead ones in the tank. If I can get the clowns in, they will be fed, and all will be well! :)

No diatom bloom yet, maybe won't even get one. Running lights 6 hours per day right now. Should I increase the time now?

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you add fish make sure Parameters are all good and can increase lighting if you won’t shouldnt hurt ,and you could now use something like Brightwell MicroBacter7 will help in establishing your bacteria
I use dr tims then started the microbacter7 after the first 2 weeks in

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a large water change today or tomorrow for the main tank. First one since I got it going. Had a bit of an ammonia spike, had 250 snails as recommended from people, but they arrived, most of them dead (of course, I didn't know this for about 3 days because of the potential dormancy. So, I fished them all out. The seller is going to try to send another order. Hopefully this one is better! I am willing to try again. I don't know - I may have to add another round of bacteria, but I hope not! The first round was expensive enough. Ammonia has never gone above .5 in the entire cycling process, so hopefully that is a good sign!

Having some QT issues with the cardinals if you want to check it out.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-save-stubby.354418/

Ammonia has been between 0-.25 for almost 2 weeks, so hoping to add my clowns tomorrow! My sister in law is going to try to catch them for me before they wake up.

Got a few snails and crabs today to try to take care of the dead ones in the tank. If I can get the clowns in, they will be fed, and all will be well! :)

No diatom bloom yet, maybe won't even get one. Running lights 6 hours per day right now. Should I increase the time now?

Sound like a ruff tank week this week:(

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you add fish make sure Parameters are all good and can increase lighting if you won’t shouldnt hurt ,and you could now use something like Brightwell MicroBacter7 will help in establishing your bacteria
I use dr tims then started the microbacter7 after the first 2 weeks in

I did use fritz turbo start 900 to begin with. And ghost fed. So I should be good as far as bacteria, correct? Parameters have been stable for almost 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1C246B49-5345-4E7F-895F-F45E4E41ACA3.jpeg
D1F7D050-E1D3-495D-A8E8-4410D6E615C8.jpeg
Sound like a ruff tank week this week:(

Hasn’t been a perfect week for sure. But getting excited to have the tank running and beautiful. QT always comes with issues. So just trying to do the best I can.

I added one of the bubblers into stubbys container in QT because it doesn’t allow for tons of flow. Hopefully this will help since the prazi is in the tank.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1C246B49-5345-4E7F-895F-F45E4E41ACA3.jpeg
D1F7D050-E1D3-495D-A8E8-4410D6E615C8.jpeg

Hasn’t been a perfect week for sure. But getting excited to have the tank running and beautiful. QT always comes with issues. So just trying to do the best I can.

I added one of the bubblers into stubbys container in QT because it doesn’t allow for tons of flow. Hopefully this will help since the prazi is in the tank.

You are building the Stubby fan club now!! :D

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to hold off adding fish until your ammonia hits 0. At 0.25, it’ll be mildly irritant and could possibly stress them out.

You want to keep going with the cycling until your bacterial population can completely process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Your almost there.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to hold off adding fish until your ammonia hits 0. At 0.25, it’ll be mildly irritant and could possibly stress them out.

You want to keep going with the cycling until your bacterial population can completely process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Your almost there.
I am wondering if my test is off - It has been not quite .25, but not quite 0 for a while now. I can wait. Just want to make sure not to stall out the bacteria by not having anything for them to feed on. Plus I have added snails (some dead) and a few crabs (only put 15 crabs in, and most were TINY like - REALLY TINY) so I am pretty sure the snails are good to go.

The ammonia did test about as close to 0 as I have seen it go tonight. But I can wait. I am leaving for San Diego Wednesday - and want everything running as smooth as possible before I leave.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can do is dose with pure ammonia solution to 2ppm, then check 24 hours later. If it’s zero, it’s done.

Side benefit is that you are also feeding your bacteria, and they’ll get a little population boost.

Here’s a good summary of how to do this-

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start
Ok - I already have snails and crabs in the tank, will the ammonia effect them?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back