JayPnoy12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the 300 on the stand and will be posting the new build as it comes along.

-Custom stand stainless steel powder coated created custom for the tank by Nighthawk Designs, LLC in Tucson, AZ. Tim Sheehey is the owner. He is currently creating the steel acid washed panels for the stand and working on a controller cabinet and light bar. These are not finished and are not in the pics below (yet).

-Custom 300 gallon GlassCages with center internal overflow, bean animal with 2 external return pumps. The tank is the second one they have done with the new custom smoked glass eurobracing and full black silicone with low iron front and 2 sides. Also, they did a custom black tint for the back wall.

-Custom Synergy Reef CL-44 sump with 2-1.5 inch external returns and 3 1.5 inch drains. Also, the sump has the 3-1 inch bulk heads for the manifold and 4 John Guest fittings for dosing, etc. ATO reservoir is matching 10 gallon. RODI is plumbed into the ATO reservoir with possible auto water change capabilities (not sure yet).

-Skimmer is a Reef Octopus 220-SSS deluxe with Varios 6s Pinwheel pump

-I may experiment with the Klir filter roller but am not sure yet.

-Lights are 2 Aquatic Life Dimmable
T5 LED hybrid fixtures with 4-Radion XR 15 gen 5 LEDs.

-Poweheads are 4 Ecotech Marine MP 40s in the display and 1 Reef Octopus Pulse 4 in the sump.

-Return pumps are Reef Octopus Varios 8 both external.

-UV sterilizer is an Aqua UV 57 watt with wiper.

-Full Apex with ATK, Flow meters, Leak detection, 2 eb832s, and Trident.

-Also have a CoralVue Hydros Wave engine.

-Not sure if I will do a Ca reactor or Kalk yet

-No Refugium (may do a Pax Bellum ARID but haven’t decided)

-Possibly doing Zeovit but not sure yet as I’m still planning.

-Tank will be SPS dominant with some euphyllia and other LPS

-Fish planned are several Tangs (getting all juvenile at the same time), my black storm clown pair, my jewel damsel, my 6 line, and then will get some anthias and others that I have not decided yet.

Thank you in advance for any advice and I hope everyone enjoys the progress!

-

3EC6A495-18C3-4A27-8ECF-52741636BC8B.jpeg 109A70AF-6A9C-4F76-A4EC-3E9778FB3FFD.jpeg 5BEC0417-CB54-467A-9586-C89B0EF75B91.jpeg
Hi @jcdeboe i like the build that your doing here. I like the selection of Tang your have there. As I was looking at picture of your equipment I saw the Skimmer is Reef Octopus 220-SSS deluxe with Varios 6s Pinwheel pump. Is that the Elite version. If so how is the skimmer performance so far. Is it quite base on the review and what Thomas from BRS said when he did a review. Also did you have to lift from the ground to get the recommended water height of 7.5"- 9". The reason why I asked cause I'm looking into getting that type of skimmer base on the other people review and not much I seen or read in forum with this type of skimmer.

Again nice looking set-up and can't wait to see the future progress. Are you doing a mix reef tank?

Always,

Jay

OP
OP
jcdeboe

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @jcdeboe i like the build that your doing here. I like the selection of Tang your have there. As I was looking at picture of your equipment I saw the Skimmer is Reef Octopus 220-SSS deluxe with Varios 6s Pinwheel pump. Is that the Elite version. If so how is the skimmer performance so far. Is it quite base on the review and what Thomas from BRS said when he did a review. Also did you have to lift from the ground to get the recommended water height of 7.5"- 9". The reason why I asked cause I'm looking into getting that type of skimmer base on the other people review and not much I seen or read in forum with this type of skimmer.

Again nice looking set-up and can't wait to see the future progress. Are you doing a mix reef tank?

Always,

Jay
Hi Jay,

Thank you very much for the complements! I plan on doing SPS only with maybe a couple of euphyllia. As far as the Reef Octopus, it is indeed the Elite 220-S. It is a fantastic skimmer and I have the water height at about 8.7 inches. It is skimming amazingly and the DC control of the Varios-6 has been unbelievable. It is worth the high price tag. I would say it is second to Royal Exclusiv. Good luck with your build and please let me know if you have any other questions!
-Joe

OP
OP
jcdeboe

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thank you very much for the complements! I plan on doing SPS only with maybe a couple of euphyllia. As far as the Reef Octopus, it is indeed the Elite 220-S. It is a fantastic skimmer and I have the water height at about 8.7 inches. It is skimming amazingly and the DC control of the Varios-6 has been unbelievable. It is worth the high price tag. I would say it is second to Royal Exclusiv. Good luck with your build and please let me know if you have any other questions!
-Joe
Sorry Elite 220-SSS

JayPnoy12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Elite 220-SSS
Joe,

No worries I know what you mean about the first message you reply back. That's great news now I can really get ideas about this Skimmer. I know most people are going crazy about the Royal Exclusiv which way to expensive for the money, but I guess if people have money to spent with high end equipment why not spent it. :):):):)

For my built I would say this Reef Octopus 220-SSS Elite is good to get since I been using the old model of Reef Octopus and I really like them. I'm glad they produce new version of somewhat high end protein skimmer.

Good luck and Yes that Gang Tang I really loved it. This is also my plan when I built one. As far as aggression how did you introduce them at all once right? Looking forward the progression of your tank especially the SPS type.

Always,

Jay

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

No worries I know what you mean about the first message you reply back. That's great news now I can really get ideas about this Skimmer. I know most people are going crazy about the Royal Exclusiv which way to expensive for the money, but I guess if people have money to spent with high end equipment why not spent it. :):):):)

For my built I would say this Reef Octopus 220-SSS Elite is good to get since I been using the old model of Reef Octopus and I really like them. I'm glad they produce new version of somewhat high end protein skimmer.

Good luck and Yes that Gang Tang I really loved it. This is also my plan when I built one. As far as aggression how did you introduce them at all once right? Looking forward the progression of your tank especially the SPS type.

Always,

Jay

Hey jay,
another skimmer to consider is the life reef skimmers. I hear really good things about them. dont get my wrong I love my reef octo..IDK maybe worth looking into.

when/if i get to do my big CG 300+ tank I am thinking about life reef skimmer or maybe even a complete sump set up.

JayPnoy12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jay,
another skimmer to consider is the life reef skimmers. I hear really good things about them. dont get my wrong I love my reef octo..IDK maybe worth looking into.

when/if i get to do my big CG 300+ tank I am thinking about life reef skimmer or maybe even a complete sump set up.
Hi @Devaji

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into it and see what they have.

Thank You and appreciated!!! Good luck on your big CG 300+ build. Do you happen to know if going to happen soon enough.

Always,

Jay

OP
OP
jcdeboe

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

Always,

Jay
You will love the Elite for sure. High quality and very efficient. See the tang gang reply below

OP
OP
jcdeboe

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries man we understand! how are all the tangs getting on? did you add them all at once? who's the Boss?
So I added all of them at once. I had an issue with the powder brown beating up the powder blue. When I send the update video, you guys will see what I did. I ended up putting the powder brown in the sump were he still lives. I'm giving him to a friend of mine. I caught the powder blue first as he was very tattered. I placed him in the sump for 3 weeks while I awaited quarantine on a new order. I ordered 2 more powder blues to have a trio. I was able to catch the powder Brown and placed him in the sump. I added the 3 powder blues to the display and the all get along great. The boss of the tank is the Sohal for the acantherous and the scopas is the boss of the zebrazomas. They all get along very well and are very friendly with each other as I feed them heavily. The tank ambassador is the orange shoulder. I would have to say he is my favorite personality wise. The Achilles is also very stoic and tough. I cannot wait to hear the commentary from the Tang police. What I always say is, the Tang police can come after me, but it will do no good as I am the Tang judge haha!

Anyhow, I will upload a new video on YouTube and send you guys the link tonight.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice ! just curious what u think about the rock at this point.looks good, I'm wondering how it would be when it comes to anemones attaching to it ?

OP
OP
jcdeboe

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice ! just curious what u think about the rock at this point.looks good, I'm wondering how it would be when it comes to anemones attaching to it ?
Thanks!! I like how it’s going. I’m not going to place any anemone though. I’m shooting for SPS dominant. Hope it works!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back