OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I believe that. It's one of those animals that causes anxiety! Cipro to the rescue.

I could be totally of base here... but are most of your colonies SPS wild/maricultured? Just the growth pattern and thickness/density of branches look extremely "natural" . All I mean by that, is that they look exactly how they grow in the wild when I dive and IMO sps in reef tanks from frags seem to base out then neck up before branching out. Either way they look great and I was curious where you are getting them from? Now a days the $200+ for a 0.5" frag is foolary!

Yes cipro!!! LOL. And no sir you are spot on...some of my colonies are maricultured for the reasons you listed. A weird fun fact is I watched tons of coral reef videos and duplicate to my ability the flow of those reef structures and that has helped maintain natural growth patterns as well. Running my pumps at max...I do this 7-8 hours of the day, im getting about 76X turn over per hour, not including the return pump. I want my tank to have the appearance of a natural shallow reef. I dislike the super blue look of some of the tanks i see today... just isn't my thing. The only draw back with maricultured corals is they tend to be less forgiving of conditions and will bleach or lost color very quickly...I do like the challenge however! I think that's the best compliment any aquarist could receive so thank you!!! I live very close to a premium fish store and they have a supplier from Australia...that's were most of the corals I receive come from.

Last edited:

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cipro!!! LOL. And no sir you are spot on...some of my colonies are maricultured for the reasons you listed. A weird fun fact is I watched tons of coral reef videos and duplicate to my ability the flow of those reef structures and that has helped maintain natural growth patterns as well. Running my pumps at max...I do this 7-8 hours of the day, im getting about 76X turn over per hour, not including the return pump. I want my tank to give the appearance of a natural shallow reef. I dislike the super blue look of some of the tanks i see today... just isn't my thing. The only draw back with maricultured corals is they tend to be less forgiving of conditions and will bleach or lost color very quickly...I do like the challenge however! I think that's the best compliment any aquarist could receive so thank you!!! I live very close to a premium fish store and they have a supplier from Australia...that's were most of the corals I receive come from.

I am right there with you on the lighting! The super blue is just to unnatural for me as well.
I did see you have 6 pumps in there for flow. I did the same, mix vortech and grye. You can create some really great flow patterns.
I agree they are much more challenging which keeps you on your toes!
I wish I had more access to premium fish stores locally. Something about seeing everything in person just sits better with me. No misleading photos!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am right there with you on the lighting! The super blue is just to unnatural for me as well.
I did see you have 6 pumps in there for flow. I did the same, mix vortech and grye. You can create some really great flow patterns.
I agree they are much more challenging which keeps you on your toes!
I wish I had more access to premium fish stores locally. Something about seeing everything in person just sits better with me. No misleading photos!

Exactly!!! Not a fan of buying animals online...only exception was the mag anemone.

Sedley1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really is awesome and so glad I just read through all of them pages, well done bro epic tank

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice system!
Cant wait to see it filled in.
In my 120 I have 2 powerheads on the back wall and 1 on each end.
Back wall is on/off every 10 seconds. Side are on all the time.
Great random flow with low rockwork too.
I do not run a fuge but I would set one up like yours if I went that route.
Thank you...and me either!!! ROFL

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build, Good job! Love the Advanced Acrylic items.

Looks like you need some more tangs so you can stop dosing.
I have 3 medium size...i thought about more but the aggression… Right now, although it might now look it.... i have 20 fish in that tank...lol

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cipro!!! LOL. And no sir you are spot on...some of my colonies are maricultured for the reasons you listed. A weird fun fact is I watched tons of coral reef videos and duplicate to my ability the flow of those reef structures and that has helped maintain natural growth patterns as well. Running my pumps at max...I do this 7-8 hours of the day, im getting about 76X turn over per hour, not including the return pump. I want my tank to have the appearance of a natural shallow reef. I dislike the super blue look of some of the tanks i see today... just isn't my thing. The only draw back with maricultured corals is they tend to be less forgiving of conditions and will bleach or lost color very quickly...I do like the challenge however! I think that's the best compliment any aquarist could receive so thank you!!! I live very close to a premium fish store and they have a supplier from Australia...that's were most of the corals I receive come from.
Hey Family took a couple of flow videos, some are still processing so the quality may not be all that good initially.

Morning Flow
Clownfish
Full Tank Shot

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took these pix earlier today. Cant wait for more growth...

1605847082471.png

1605847096876.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family just a couple of updates. Tank is rocking... I added a few more corals and like clock work a couple of weeks later they are starting to color up very nicely. Sorry for the fuzzy photos...not the best picture taker...lol.

Here are my parameters:

PH: 8.1 - 8.4 (daily swing) - Apex
Salinity: 1.025 - Milwaukee Digital Refractometer
AlK: Goal (7.2) Current 7.15 - Trident
Calcium: Goal (420) current 395 - Trident
Magnesium: 1305 -Trident
PO4: Goal ( .05 - .09) Current .04 - Hanna Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Checker
Nitrate: Goal (8-12ppm) Current: 12ppm - Nyos, courtesy of sodium nitrate dosing.

1607018902402.png

1607018963025.png

1607018921248.png

1607018936753.png

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, just read the whole thing. Looking forward to seeing those acros become large colonies!

This probably doesn't matter now, but the caulerpa you got back at the start of the thread when you first put it in the refugium looked like it was dying. This was probably due to the shipping. Normally it is bullet proof :D

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, just read the whole thing. Looking forward to seeing those acros become large colonies!

This probably doesn't matter now, but the caulerpa you got back at the start of the thread when you first put it in the refugium looked like it was dying. This was probably due to the shipping. Normally it is bullet proof :D
Thanks brother... and i agree. I bought some more and it appears to be doing well. At the rate the corals are growing i give myself a few more months to get to full colonies. The growth under these Orpheks have been amazing....and this is coming from someone that used to have radion g4's...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back