New 305 Gallon Build

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the worst is behind you. I saw cyano coming out of Dinos. The increasing N:p coming out of 0:0 from Dinos forces the tank to adjust, Cyano is just part of the IMO. Hopefully it will be gone in a few weeks!

Interesting with the nem, my BTA reached similarly. Definitely need to ramp up feedings to “fatten” mine up.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the magnifica tentacle loss will be permanent. Just a short moment as a reaction to what’s happened. As your water quality improves it should bounce back.

Good luck with the cyano battle. Lots of manual siphoning?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the worst is behind you. I saw cyano coming out of Dinos. The increasing N:p coming out of 0:0 from Dinos forces the tank to adjust, Cyano is just part of the IMO. Hopefully it will be gone in a few weeks!

Interesting with the nem, my BTA reached similarly. Definitely need to ramp up feedings to “fatten” mine up.
We will see... ive been dealing with cyano for months..... I know when i stir things up it knocks them back for a couple of days.... right now my routine is to blow it off the rocks, sandbed...etc. The following day i remove my filter socks...and replace with fresh ones....rinse and repeat. I have started dosing cyano clean.... i will keep you guys posted.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the magnifica tentacle loss will be permanent. Just a short moment as a reaction to what’s happened. As your water quality improves it should bounce back.

Good luck with the cyano battle. Lots of manual siphoning?

Hey bro, I think you are right. I mean I remember how bad it looked when i 1st got it and had to baby it for months. Its not that bad, but I hate the fact there was a set back. I'm feeding it twice a day and its looking much better... I think I'm a few weeks away from returning back it back to its full glory.

I don't siphon, but rather keep it suspended by blowing it off with a turkey baster, and stirring the sand. Because of the amount of flow in the tank, once its suspended it ends up in my filter socks (and UV as well), which I remove the next morning. This is helping... it think, its just a lot to do each day....

I have started dosing cyano clean.... so we will see if this will help. At this point I have nothing to lose other than my time....

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to get your thoughts family on the following experiment i will try tomorrow:

I tested both my phos and nitrate a couple of days ago...they are in a good range

Phos: .12*
Nitrate: 8ppm

I have an asterisk next to the phos, because my levels are normally .04 - .08...

I noticed if I blow off the cyano, and/or stir the sand bed and test in a few hours, my phos jumps.

Today before the lights came on, I stirred the sand bed and blew most of the cyano off my rocks and tested a few hours later.... result: .25!

I believe the cyano is binding the phosphate and my activities are causing the cyano to release phos? My next move is to add phosgaurd to rapidly take the phosphate out of the water so the cyano cannot use it to repopulate my tank...

That's the thought anyway... i love to hear opinions

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to get your thoughts family on the following experiment i will try tomorrow:

I tested both my phos and nitrate a couple of days ago...they are in a good range

Phos: .12*
Nitrate: 8ppm

I have an asterisk next to the phos, because my levels are normally .04 - .08...

I noticed if I blow off the cyano, and/or stir the sand bed and test in a few hours, my phos jumps.

Today before the lights came on, I stirred the sand bed and blew most of the cyano off my rocks and tested a few hours later.... result: .25!

I believe the cyano is binding the phosphate and my activities are causing the cyano to release phos? My next move is to add phosgaurd to rapidly take the phosphate out of the water so the cyano cannot use it to repopulate my tank...

That's the thought anyway... i love to hear opinions
Sounds logical.

Have you done a water change where you're sucking in the water right where you're stirring up the sand/cyano so that you're pulling it out directly? Maybe that paired with your phosgaurd approach will bring it down quickly.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds logical.

Have you done a water change where you're sucking in the water right where you're stirring up the sand/cyano so that you're pulling it out directly? Maybe that paired with your phosgaurd approach will bring it down quickly.
That's the plan...my fear is to strip the phos out of the tank... I've had that happen before with disastrous results

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan...my fear is to strip the phos out of the tank... I've had that happen before with disastrous results
First I wanted I say beautiful build I’m now following ! Definitely be careful, I’ve gotten rid of Dino’s with the dirty tank method and then after made it clean so the Dino’s came back lol don’t do what I did

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family... here is the latest.

Like many, I do not enjoy sharing my tank when its not at its best...(Think of having company when your home isn't clean...lol). However this is all apart of the journey, plus anyone following may find this information useful.

I'm still dealing with cyano :mad:, but I think its slowly going away.....slowly. Here is what I'm doing currently.

Each day I blow the cyano from the rocks and stir the sand bed, nothing new...however what is new is the time of day I do this. I try the above procedure about an hour after the lights are on. Theory: if disturbing cyano releases phosphate in the water....corals use the phos for growth, starving the cyano... again that's the theory. Lastly I'm dosing cyano clean and perhaps that is helping....

Finally the great news... my corals are chewing through ALK again!! I'm back to dosing roughly 400ML (ATI Pro Essentials pt1 200ML/ Pro 2 200ML) per day again.

1620762265280.png

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard cyano usually comes after Dino’s atleast its just unslightly, but the tank looks really good! I bet yr corals are about to show some really good growth. Are you still dosing anything for the corals like amino acids ? I’m scarred by my Dino’s outbreak and refuse to start aminos again for fear lol

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard cyano usually comes after Dino’s atleast its just unslightly, but the tank looks really good! I bet yr corals are about to show some really good growth. Are you still dosing anything for the corals like amino acids ? I’m scarred by my Dino’s outbreak and refuse to start aminos again for fear lol
Well my issue was reversed...i had cyano, treated with chemiclean, the got dino's. Killed dinos and got cyano back...

As far as dosing, i only dose nitrates currently

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family, another update to my battle with cyano. I decided the last few days not to stir or remove the cyano but continue to treat it with the bacteria additives (Zeozym, Coral Snow, Zeobak, and cyano clean). I started with cyano clean on 05/05..so 20days. As of late last week i added the above additives to the mix.

Anyway back to the point... i decided not stir the sand bed or blow the cyano off the rocks...i wanted to see how bad it is. Its pretty dang bad, but it has improved...slightly. The below pix were taken 10 minutes ago....

1621954652263.png

1621954668006.png

1621954684624.png

1621954706029.png

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family, another update to my battle with cyano. I decided the last few days not to stir or remove the cyano but continue to treat it with the bacteria additives (Zeozym, Coral Snow, Zeobak, and cyano clean). I started with cyano clean on 05/05..so 20days. As of late last week i added the above additives to the mix.

Anyway back to the point... i decided not stir the sand bed or blow the cyano off the rocks...i wanted to see how bad it is. Its pretty dang bad, but it has improved...slightly. The below pix were taken 10 minutes ago....

1621954652263.png

1621954668006.png

1621954684624.png

1621954706029.png
Has to be frustrating! Crazy that it's surviving all that you're throwing at it.

Are you seeing any adverse affects to your corals from all of it?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t dealt with cyano yet (knock on wood haha) so I don’t have any experience to help. But would a UV in the display temporally help kill off? I do kno cyano usually comes after Dino’s

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back