New 320 Gallon tank just started water flow today

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished pluming my new 320 gallon tank. Now waiting for it to clear up so I can start cycling it. Going to use Dr. Tim's. I'll post pics as I go along. Have the sump in the room next to the tank and got a Seamless Sump -> really like it so far. Still lots of adjusting to do. Using an Apex and trying to learn that. Sorry for the blue pic. I have 5 Radion XR15 pros (I downloaded WCC's schedule and am using that for now), 4 wav pumps top and bottom in back (going to add 2 more mid front later) , and 2 Maxspect gyre 350's.

Building an Algae scrubber to sit on top of the sump tank on the left and I plan to make it a refugium. It holds about 20 gallons.

Any thoughts while I am starting up would be appreciated. I took the tank pic with my Iphone not sure how well it is going to turn out.

Bob

IMG_2960.jpg IMG_2959.jpg

OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your sump. What kind of polymer containers are those?
Seamless Sump. They are modular so you can buy the ones you want. Made of HDPE. I really like them.

OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to make this a daily log on my cycling process. Added 320 gallons worth of Dr. Tims today. Did as recommended and removed the socks for the next 2 days. Turned off all the pumps for 2 hours after I put in the bacteria and ammonia. I'll start reporting out PH, NH4, NO2, and NO3 levels as I do them. Just FYI I decided to use Red Sea mixed reef salt. I've used Ocean in the past but a BRS video convinced me to switch.

Let's see how Dr. Tim does.

OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing looks serious, very nice too
Plumbing was a real headache. I can barely move the tank and stand but needed it away from the wall to get it started. I tried using vinyl tubing from the wall to the tank after I pushed it back. About 12" away. They all leaked, very slowly but leaked, even with clamps. So ... I had to get my fat, arthritic self down into the stand, remove all the vinyl and replace with permeant PVC. Moral of the story is don't get to fancy and overthink it, stick with what you have done in the past that worked! o_O

OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we are off! Day 2 of cycle PH - 7.6, NH3 - 3, NO2 - 0, SG 1.020. No NO3 test for a bit until NO2 starts rising.

OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 40 gallon fish and coral QT's with beginning livestock quarantining. My last tank was 180 gallons that I wiped out because I was young and impatient, actually old and impatient, so I have learned my lesson. NOTHING goes into the DT without proper quarantine. I started getting algae in the coral tank so I put a powder blue tang in there that has been lawnmowing the algae away!

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 of Dr. Tim's. Ammonia is 3 and getting trace NO2 which means the cycling has started. Only added half the amount of NH3CL today. I was worried about going over 5 for ammonia. Had that happen once and it stalled the cycling for 3 weeks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back