New 37 gallon tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter frankin09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

frankin09

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2021
Messages
363
Reaction score
104
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this hobby and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my 37 gallon tall tank. It has been running for a month and has a 2 clown fish, six line wrassel and a coral banded shrimp. It has a hang on the back filter (fluval c3) and a wave maker and a heater. I recently ordered a Comline Doc 9004 skimmer. However I am starting to experience diatoms.

Side note,
The diatoms are getting worse then in the picture.

C3050A7E-9781-44E1-8E4F-B891F187B1E5.jpeg 6C760B3F-8A2C-4B0D-A3BE-F85CB7C2AD0C.jpeg
 
Welcome :) Sounds like you're off to a great start. Diatoms are common in new tanks but can also be from a source of silicate. Do you have rodi filtration for your system yet?
 
Diatoms is one of the first signs your tanks is cycled. If you haven’t invested in a clean up crew, now is the time.
In a 32 gallon, a handful of hermits and snails (not turbos) should do the trick.

you can also turn your pumps off, clean up as much as you can by hand and with a scrapper. Be sure to Net the bits out!
 
Welcome :) Sounds like you're off to a great start. Diatoms are common in new tanks but can also be from a source of silicate. Do you have rodi filtration for your system yet?
I am going to get one soon, just need to see where I can install it.
 
Welcome :) Sounds like you're off to a great start. Diatoms are common in new tanks but can also be from a source of silicate. Do you have rodi filtration for your system yet?
Which rodi filtration would you recommend?
 
Just any feedback on the tank itself.
I think at some point you’ll want to add more rock to increase your real estate for corals or add more hiding spots for fish, and you’ll probably want to look at a small wavemaker or two to increase the overall flow in your tank. Otherwise you’re well on your way!
 
I think at some point you’ll want to add more rock to increase your real estate for corals or add more hiding spots for fish, and you’ll probably want to look at a small wavemaker or two to increase the overall flow in your tank. Otherwise you’re well on your way!
I have a wave maker on the top, but I will get a second one to add on the other side. The only thing I’m just caution of, is if stack more rock it will fall. I wouldn’t know where to place the rock, my tank is 30” x 12” x 24”
 
Which rodi filtration would you recommend?
I would do a little bit of research but it depends on your water source/water quality. Bulk Reef Supply has quite a few different units, all of them good. Some offer more filtration/stages or produce more water as in gallons per day. I would check the TDS of your source water and quite possibly have a sample or test done to see the specifics. Usually most quality units will suffice. Spectrapure, airwaterice, ice cap and several others make some good ones as well. Best of luck with it all :)
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new