New 37 gallon tank

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this hobby and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my 37 gallon tall tank. It has been running for a month and has a 2 clown fish, six line wrassel and a coral banded shrimp. It has a hang on the back filter (fluval c3) and a wave maker and a heater. I recently ordered a Comline Doc 9004 skimmer. However I am starting to experience diatoms.

Side note,
The diatoms are getting worse then in the picture.

C3050A7E-9781-44E1-8E4F-B891F187B1E5.jpeg 6C760B3F-8A2C-4B0D-A3BE-F85CB7C2AD0C.jpeg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) Sounds like you're off to a great start. Diatoms are common in new tanks but can also be from a source of silicate. Do you have rodi filtration for your system yet?

Bluefalcon2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms is one of the first signs your tanks is cycled. If you haven’t invested in a clean up crew, now is the time.
In a 32 gallon, a handful of hermits and snails (not turbos) should do the trick.

you can also turn your pumps off, clean up as much as you can by hand and with a scrapper. Be sure to Net the bits out!

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :) Sounds like you're off to a great start. Diatoms are common in new tanks but can also be from a source of silicate. Do you have rodi filtration for your system yet?
I am going to get one soon, just need to see where I can install it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just any feedback on the tank itself.
I think at some point you’ll want to add more rock to increase your real estate for corals or add more hiding spots for fish, and you’ll probably want to look at a small wavemaker or two to increase the overall flow in your tank. Otherwise you’re well on your way!

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at some point you’ll want to add more rock to increase your real estate for corals or add more hiding spots for fish, and you’ll probably want to look at a small wavemaker or two to increase the overall flow in your tank. Otherwise you’re well on your way!
I have a wave maker on the top, but I will get a second one to add on the other side. The only thing I’m just caution of, is if stack more rock it will fall. I wouldn’t know where to place the rock, my tank is 30” x 12” x 24”

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Which rodi filtration would you recommend?
I would do a little bit of research but it depends on your water source/water quality. Bulk Reef Supply has quite a few different units, all of them good. Some offer more filtration/stages or produce more water as in gallons per day. I would check the TDS of your source water and quite possibly have a sample or test done to see the specifics. Usually most quality units will suffice. Spectrapure, airwaterice, ice cap and several others make some good ones as well. Best of luck with it all :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back