New 3D Printer for DIY Reef Projects

SKMoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Yeps another “which 3D printer” question. But this time not a 3d printing newbie. I have a resin laser 3D printer but want to print for the tank now. My understanding, resin prints aren’t compatible with salt water and would become a problem. So it’s PETG and ABS for around the tank.

I’m leaning toward an Ender 5 Pro with an enclosure from MatterHackers. I don’t know much about FDM printing, but it seems like for ABS heat and consistent temp during print is critical. Hence the idea of the Ender 5 w/enclosure.

I’d like to stay in the or close to the sub $1,000 range.

Suggestions appreciated.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Prusa and it works like a dream. Only issues I ever had were with filament that had been out for a while and wasn’t properly dehydrated before using it again.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Prusa and it works like a dream. Only issues I ever had were with filament that had been out for a while and wasn’t properly dehydrated before using it again.
I’ve also never used an enclosure with petg and print have been excellent.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Prusa recommendation thread I see. MK2S was running well for me until a series of issues and frustration on hot end replacement. That being said, their tech support, guides and product line have improved immensely to make these replacements 80% easier.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Prusa recommendation thread I see. MK2S was running well for me until a series of issues and frustration on hot end replacement. That being said, their tech support, guides and product line have improved immensely to make these replacements 80% easier.
I bought the MK3S as my first printer and haven’t had any issues printing 20-30 hours a week for a year since I’ve had it. No upgrades, just an occasional new nozzle. Just sharing my experience.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the MK3S as my first printer and haven’t had any issues printing 20-30 hours a week for a year since I’ve had it. No upgrades, just an occasional new nozzle. Just sharing my experience.
They made some major improvements to reduce jamming in the hot end through better heat control. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Prusa as my experience with them has been nothing but pleasant. MK2s lasted me about 2.5 years and the thermiresistor went and must have caused some damage to the hot end. Replaced the probe, still had issues. Replace the hot end and read that they made a slight modification of the hot end to work for both MK2S and MK3 (think I am remembering this correct) that had a slightly higher gap. That paired with a firmware update had me jamming left and right. The third time taking apart the extruder and having issues I set it on a shelf. Taking apart the extruder is a PITA on the MK2s.

Anyways, I could probably get it back in order by another PTFE tube replacement and reverting to my old hot end but just havn't had time. The lesson here is to follow the maintenance routine they suggest to a T. Preventable wear of a cable led to all of this because I got sloppy with maintaining it.

Did you get a kit for the MK3S?

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They made some major improvements to reduce jamming in the hot end through better heat control. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Prusa as my experience with them has been nothing but pleasant. MK2s lasted me about 2.5 years and the thermiresistor went and must have caused some damage to the hot end. Replaced the probe, still had issues. Replace the hot end and read that they made a slight modification of the hot end to work for both MK2S and MK3 (think I am remembering this correct) that had a slightly higher gap. That paired with a firmware update had me jamming left and right. The third time taking apart the extruder and having issues I set it on a shelf. Taking apart the extruder is a PITA on the MK2s.

Anyways, I could probably get it back in order by another PTFE tube replacement and reverting to my old hot end but just havn't had time. The lesson here is to follow the maintenance routine they suggest to a T. Preventable wear of a cable led to all of this because I got sloppy with maintaining it.

Did you get a kit for the MK3S?
Yes, bought the kit. Took two ten-hour days but could’ve been done in significantly less time. I’m prone to distraction

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the Prussia today. Thanks for the recommendations
Take your time with assembly. If you feel stumped, watch the videos while you’re putting it together. And buy an extra bag of haribos. One most certainly isn’t enough.

OP
OP
SKMoss

SKMoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time with assembly. If you feel stumped, watch the videos while you’re putting it together. And buy an extra bag of haribos. One most certainly isn’t enough.
Thanks for the warning on Haribos. I have about an month before it show up. Plenty of time for videos between now and then.

mrellw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend getting a prusa with that budget. Enclosures are good to have, but they aren't required, and you can use almost anything as an encloser. As you can see this, I use an old bread proofing oven as a shelter.

Last edited:

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make anything yet???

i just got a anycubic mega s as a gift at a holiday party.
thing hasnt stopped running since. im expecting it to blow up any day now.
gimme an excuse to go larger.

:)

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy a 3d printer for some non-fish-related projects I have in mind but was wondering if any of you have 3d printed for your tanks and what filament you used for it, how long they've been in your tank, what programs you used to design, etc. I was thinking of the Prusa i3 mk2s unless any of you have recommendations in a similar price point to look at.
You mean the MK3S+, or a used MK2S?

I would say if you are getting your feet wet, start with a Prusa Mini+, or if you like to tinker the Creality Ender Pro line. Both are great IMO, but the Creality is not as plug & play as the Prusa (although still requires you to put in work, it isn't as intensive as the Creality that I started with).

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy 2 ender, thinker them a bit if you like and with the rest of the money buy more corals. and with 2 printers you pull out pieces faster than one :)

Back