NEW 40 Gallon Tank

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just started a new Clear-for-Life 40 gallon (36Lx15Wx16H) acrylic aquarium and wanted to get as much help or tips as i can!

The tank was started 8/3/19 and sump was added 8/4/19.

The tank has about 1.5" of live sand, 45 pounds of live rock, 15 hermit crabs, 3 snails and 2 crabs. I do have 2 damsels in there since i read i could add up to 4 fish to help with the cycle.

The only thing inside the display tank is the overflow box, return head, and 2 power-heads positioned at the end of each side of the tank.

In the sump i have heater, counter current protein skimmer, filter, bio balls and return pump.

I mixed my own salt and i used Fritz RPM salt, and treated the tank with Bio-Spira.

I have yet to test the parameters, and have only tested the salinity using a refractometer and it read 124 PPM and water temperature at 80 F.

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you!

IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0359.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Test for ammonia and nitrite before all your critters and fish die which would be a a waste. Live rock is good but it can have die off which will cause problems.

OP
OP
curiel909

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Test for ammonia and nitrite before all your critters and fish die which would be a a waste. Live rock is good but it can have die off which will cause problems.

Thank you for your input!

I do have an API Saltwater test kit i got from amazon. Will I be ok with this kit for the time being?

Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will work. Not the best kit but you do with what you have. If you see ammonia climb do water changes to get it down until your tank can grow more bacteria

OP
OP
curiel909

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will work. Not the best kit but you do with what you have. If you see ammonia climb do water changes to get it down until your tank can grow more bacteria
What test kit would you recommend? I will test my water when i get home and will post the results.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
curiel909

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Curie, what do you intend to keep in the tank once its ready? Fish only/coral- it will help us make good recommendations going forward.
Hello Jax,

Thank you for your comment. I would like to have some soft coral and an anemone once the tank is stable.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
curiel909

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my water parameters.

This is what i got:
pH 8.4 PPM
Ammonia 0.25 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM
Nitrate 40 PPM
Salinity 124

I did a 5 gallon water change and will test the water in 24 hours.

Also, i was gifted a 36" Current USA Orbit Marine LED light with adjustable settings. Would this be ok to have some soft coral? Also, what setting or schedule should i use ?

Thank you all for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back