OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt get a chance for picture before. Got to love the Dory themed wall from my son figured it kinda fits the theme so left it in place.
20190223_141003.jpg

Have the lights pretty low at only about 4.5 inches from the water. Still gotta work on a good schedule but put a basic one together for now with a 12 hr photo period peaking at 65% for 2 hours. The hammer seems to expand larger than it did in the lfs so I'll take that as a good sign.

The diatom bloom really started so I will be ordering the cuc in the next week or so. Also need to make a screen top, hate the glass with the LEDs as it seems to reduce the shimmer quite a bit. The bow makes it difficult and I planned on using the front curved glass and then just building rectangle screens for the rear. Unfortunately the frame for the screen that meets the glass ends up being pretty close to centered under the kessil and ends up causing a shadow effect so that is a no go. Purchased a heat gun and am going to try to bend the aluminum frame to match the bow and make the entire top a screen instead.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few trochus snails today from a lfs while I wait for the CUC to arrive from reefcleaners next week. Did another round of testing and numbers all holding steady and looking good. Finally organized all the wires and controllers under the stand. Also replaced the battery in the battery backup and it works. I was spared but the area had a lot of power outages this past week from wind storms, some lasting a couple days.
20190226_211030.jpg

Need a power supply for the empty spot of the third vortech. Next on the list is removing the glass top and attempting a screen top. Heat gun is on the way so I can try and bend the aluminum frame. Hoping to add the clownfish this sunday from the holding tank.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to much happening since the last update. Did a large 15gal WC. The power supply should be here this week for the third vortech as will be the heat gun. CUC arrives Thursday or Friday, going to be cold so fingers crossed everything makes it.

I did add the clowns and they seem to be doing great 24 hrs later. Unfortunately transferring the coral beauty didnt go too well. Very hard to catch and then she ended up on the floor. Didnt make it more than an hour, I'm assuming shock and stress did her in? Kills me knowing I botched the transfer and she was healthy beforehand.

Also added a few blue mushrooms that are currently held in place on a rock with netting. The 2 hammer frags seem to be doing great so will be looking to add more LPS soon. I'll wait for the algae uglies to dissipate before I jump to any sps. Cant wait for the local frag swap in April.

On a side note I am so happy I have plenty of pukani rock stored since I can no longer purchase it. I know it can leech phosphates for awhile but once its established the only thing that beats it is true live rock. Love the shape and it is amazing at denitrification. Nitrates are holding steady at 0 and even my phosphates are only .03.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy lately. Tank went through some sort of bacterial bloom after the CUC arrived, lasted close to a week but has since resolved. CUC all made it and the uglies are mostly gone with just normal algae growth now. I prefer to have a little to help sustain everyone anyhow. The blue mushrooms attached and the hammers seem to have grown. Added a new frogspawn and a birdnest. Frogspawn havnt opened all the way yet but it appears pretty healthy so I'm sure itll settle in just fine.
20190316_174538.jpg
20190316_174541.jpg
20190316_192626.jpg
20190316_192647.jpg
20190316_192547.jpg
20190316_193348.jpg

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress has been slower then I had hoped and I have had some setbacks. Ich in the tank from a new addition so it is currently fallow and fish in copper qt. Added a few more snails and crabs as the uglies didnt spare me even though the rock was cycled and the nutrients test low. The bacterial bloom subsided but the film algae and just a lot of particles seem to keep me from getting crystal clear. Slowly getting better but still not 100%. I did feed heavy trying to curb the ich before deciding to treat. Been aggressive with waterchanges and did a 2 day blackout which helped, also adjusted my light schedule so it's not as intense.

On a positive note my pod population has exploded and I see them 24/7. They cover the glass at night like a million bugs loving that film algae. I have spotted a couple bristleworms at night so I know they made it, I added them purposely from the old tank. Some people hate them but I think they're the best cuc member for getting into the middle of super porous rock. Corals all doing well except that one frogspawn still hasn't opened up well and I see a good bit of skeleton. Hoping with time itll make a good comeback.

Going to a frag swap this weekend and hope to find a few nice pieces. Once I add them in I'll officially start the fallow clock of 76 days fish less, will have to set up a coral and invert qt tank for future purchases. I think 2 months of no fish will be good to help the tank better establish anyhow but man it is boring to look at.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hospital tank decorated by my son. Does provide lots of shelter to help the fish less stressed, left 1 hermit in here been going strong in a week of ramping up copper levels. Helps eat leftover fish food so I dont have to siphon it out.
15544027423627562357460610371722.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back