FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOUR WEEKLY REEF REPORT

Shake or Not to Shake

Hey Farm Hands,
Today we are going to hit a different topic that’s right out there. I don’t know about you but have you ever had a coral deal go bad? Or any deal you have found online that didn’t go your way. Well it happens to everyone, people get taken advantage of all the time and some don’t show up to the deal or they just message you while you are waiting saying sorry an emergency just came up and all this BS so all that time just got wasted. It sure can be frustrating. Today I am going to tell you a story about the worst coral deal experience I have ever had and its a creepy one. So let’s get this story started. I was online one day looking at ads in my local town for coral frags. I am from the Ottawa area in Ontario, Canada and the coral selection around isn’t the greatest, it is actually pretty sad. It’s always the same coral frags being floated around but sometimes you can find the diamond in the rough. While I was on Kijiji looking I found a guy that was selling a few nice Zoanthid coral frags, so I said what the heck, lets message him and make a deal. We will keep his name out of the article because it’s too close to home. So let’s give him the name, Hanson The Caretaker from the movie Scream because this guy gave me the creeps, but we will get to the part in a minute.
fbrhands.jpg

So I talk to Hanson and he gave me his address and the time to meet. Hanson says to come to his home to pick up the zoas. I usually don’t do deals like this I always just shop at the local fish stores. So we agreed on a time, Saturday at 10 am in. So it’s Saturday I stopped and grabbed a coffee from Tim Hortons to start the day off right. I was on my way to the big coral deal. I show up at Caretakers house I knock and he doesn’t come right away, so I knock again, still nothing. Now I am thinking to myself, great just got screwed over. So I call his cell quick, he answers and says, “**** I slept in, be down in a minute.” So I am thinking, here we go great start to this day. So finally after 15 minutes Caretaker made it to the door. He had a crazy demeanour to him and crazy look in his eyes. Now I am thinking, do I really want to go into his house? Well I am here lets get this over with. So we head down to his basement, it was dark as hell and had a really bad smell. The whole place was right upside down and I still haven’t seen the main display tank where I would be getting the frags from and I am thinking this guy is a hoarder the place was crazy. Then I heard movement on the floor but I couldn’t see what it was because there was so much garage and clutter everywhere and whatever was coming at us was under the junk moving like a shark, next thing I know boom this little dog a Jack Russell jumps out of the junk onto the couch, “Caretaker says, “Don’t mind him that’s Precious.” Of course his name is Precious, it does he have a ring to it though I thought to myself. Could this day get any weirder. So we finally make it over to the display tank, looking it all over I am like holy hell! It was just full of hair algae, and sure didn’t look like the picture. Caretaker says, “What do you think bud isn’t she a beautiful tank?” As I am thinking to my self I better go along with this. “Yes it’s awesome.” I get it we all love our tanks they are part of us and I would never knock someones tank down as I wouldn’t like that either. So Caretaker says, “Here are the zoas for sale, so do we have a deal.” I am thinking I really don’t want to add hair algae or whatever else was going on in the tank to mine but at the same time I am here and the guy seems a little off his rocker so I said, “How much?” Because at this point I just wanted out! I got the coral and I started to walk towards the stairs to get out of here. Next thing I know he is cutting me off. He says, “I know you from somewhere.” I said, “Nope I don’t think we have ever met.” He then says, “Are you that Farm Boy Reef guy?” Now I am thinking, here we go now what? Caretaker says, “Yes it is you, I follow all your social media, YouTube builds, I am a member of your Facebook club. I am a Farm Hand. I am like ****, here we go Caretaker just used my word Farm Hand lol. Sounds so much different when a follower says it lol. Then at this point he is really buddy buddy with me asking if I want to see his shrimp tank and that he is trying to breed them. I said I really need to get going, I have to get home. I try to head to the door he cuts me off again and says, “It will be really quick, I am a big fan I really want to show you all my tanks. So I am like ok let’s see them. At this point Caretaker is really getting pushy and I am thinking to myself what’s next. Is he going to trap me in here like in Silence Of The Lambs and be like Buffalo Bill and ask tell me, “It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.” So we looked over his shrimp tank it was crazy like his other tank. Then he starts telling me he can’t wait for his kids to grow up and move out. Then he can spend more time with his tanks. Plus says his wife is always on him about spending too much time with his tanks. He asked me my opinion on what he should do. I am no psychiatrist but I am thinking he needs one and I said, “Buddy kids grow up fast you should spend time with them and your wife.” He looks at me and laughs and says, “Yeah right!” Ok so I really want the hell out of here, I have had enough of crazy at this point. I am like, Caretaker I am leaving I have things to do.” He says to me, “I will let you leave if I can have your signature.” Whatever if that’s what’s going to get me the hell out of this house let’s get it done. Boom! Signed the paper started to leave and he says, “Can you please come back and hangout soon?” I am thinking, heck no I am never coming back here again!

Thought of the Day

So the moral of this story is be careful who you deal with, and never go alone especially in someones house or make sure your family knows where you went and the address just in case. Well that’s my crazy coral deal gone bad.

Ryan Nash
Farm Boy Reef.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 look buddy what just came in. Thanks for tip on the regular this thing is a beast. Can’t wait to install it. That was fast shipping or what lol.

693C5ACA-1C9D-4B78-A733-16DAF509CD94.jpeg 2AE7781C-D1BC-45A9-9EEC-86B93D6633E8.jpeg 4A3E981F-8C6D-4CEA-ACA6-BA2C2470E15D.jpeg 8A96E880-8C83-444A-BBFA-D477F9A0BE2C.jpeg

Subscribe to my channel FArmBoyReef

Last edited by a moderator:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 look buddy what just came in. Thanks for tip on the regular this thing is a beast. Can’t wait to install it. That was fast shipping or what lol.

693C5ACA-1C9D-4B78-A733-16DAF509CD94.jpeg 2AE7781C-D1BC-45A9-9EEC-86B93D6633E8.jpeg 4A3E981F-8C6D-4CEA-ACA6-BA2C2470E15D.jpeg 8A96E880-8C83-444A-BBFA-D477F9A0BE2C.jpeg

Nice!

I keep eyeing that other one and may even pull the trigger on getting it myself.

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the caretaker follows you on socIal media we have to assume that he has read this post.

Maybe he followed you home?
I can do you one better. He jump on group I and said I can’t belive all I cared about was the messy house how little of me. I am like holly **** what’s the chances lol. I said from the hole story your giving me **** because I said how messy the hiuse was not the guy that wouldn’t let me leave. Boom see why your crazy lol. He read all about him self and still didn’t get the moral of the story .

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aww man sorry hear that

No biggie. ;) There will be others. Plus, I'm not even sure if the seller would have shipped to the US and, if so, what the charges would be.

LondonJon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do you one better. He jump on group I and said I can’t belive all I cared about was the messy house how little of me. I am like holly **** what’s the chances lol. I said from the hole story your giving me **** because I said how messy the hiuse was not the guy that wouldn’t let me leave. Boom see why your crazy lol. He read all about him self and still didn’t get the moral of the story .

“Let’s be careful out there”

Sergeant Phil Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues, 1981-1987

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back