New 65 gal fish only tank. Am I missing anything?

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 65 gallon tank. Equipment: Eheim Pro II Canister filter, Bak Pak DP protein skimmer/ biological filter, digital thermometer, heater, Hydor Koralia 1050 Powerhead. 50 LBs Marco Rock (Key Largo) , 40 lbs live sand. Few pieces of corralline algae chips from LFS. Am I missing anything crucial that i may need ?

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good start but with equipment. It all depends on how hands on/off you want it be.

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well things like an auto top off would help from you having to lift a bucket to fill your tank, plus it helps to keep things stable. it isnt crucial by any means but it is something i couldnt live without now that I have one. the canister filter may end up being more of a pain then useful IMO. it is not needed when it comes to saltwater because of the LR and LS along with your powerheads, they are your filtration and unless cleaned frequently can lead to a phosphate trap.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good source of RO/DI water. Even though its fish only, fish deserve water just as pure and clean as corals do, after all, they are a higher life form than a coral.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea , currently I am using a tap water filter that I purchased from Dr. Fosters and Smith. I will have to purchase an RO/DI unit in the future.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tap water filter lasts between 15 and 30 gallons depending on your tap water quality. Very expensive to own if you actually keep track of the TDS which most peoplr don't even own a TDS meter so have absolutely no idea if it really works or not.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do those RO/DI units last? What has to be maintained or changed on them ?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A RO membrane can last up to 10 years if taken care of.
You change the sediment filter and carbon block every 6 months as they are what protects the more expensive RO membrane and you change the DI resin when it no longer reads 0 TDS. In your case the resin could easily go a year or more.
The $120 RODI-90-Refurb, refurbished unit is an excellent buy. If you don't already have a TDS meter its in the same flyer for $25.
Untitled Document

A sediment filter and carbon block are $23 for the pair every 6 months and the replacement DI cartridge is $18 maybe once a year. Cheaper than replacements for the tap water filter and you will get true 0 TDS water for a lot longer.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A RO membrane can last up to 10 years if taken care of.
You change the sediment filter and carbon block every 6 months as they are what protects the more expensive RO membrane and you change the DI resin when it no longer reads 0 TDS. In your case the resin could easily go a year or more.
The $120 RODI-90-Refurb, refurbished unit is an excellent buy. If you don't already have a TDS meter its in the same flyer for $25.
Untitled Document

A sediment filter and carbon block are $23 for the pair every 6 months and the replacement DI cartridge is $18 maybe once a year. Cheaper than replacements for the tap water filter and you will get true 0 TDS water for a lot longer.

+1111111000000 great set up there at a great price!! i changed all my filters over to thes guys and working great!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back