New 75g Reef Build

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! My names Tyler. I've been a long time lurker of the site and finally decided to make an account. I got bit by the saltwater bug in 2016 when I left my ex and moved into my apartment. My daughter was in love with the Finding Nemo and Finding Dory movies so I asked her about getting a fish tank and she was ecstatic. The original plan was to start a 20L and upgrade in a few years but that plan quickly changed when I went to Petco for supplies and seen the dollar per gallon sale. I came home that day with a 40B and upgraded filters to handle the 40g's filtration. After many upgrades, trial and errors, a few algae battles, and a new amazing girlfriend, we fast forward to 2019. Once again we were at Petco for supplies and walked away with a new 75g tank. Once home I checked it for leaks, emptied it, and taped off the back glass, and started painting it. Days later I got some live rock in and started the scape and filled it up. Everything in the 40 went into the 75g so there wasn't a cycle.

Everything was going good until......the crash.
I came home from work one day and noticed white stuff floating in the tank. I called my girlfriend into the living room and we figured out that our son had put bread from his hamburger into the tank. We immediately started siphoning out as much of the bread as we could and did a huge water change. I woke up the next morning to find all the fish dead and my hammer was closed up. That night once I got back from work I went out and got a 29g, new filter media, sand, and more salt from Petco. I set up the 29g that night and now we are caught up to today.

The 29g is being used to rescue the hammer coral that survived. Its been over a month now since the crash and the hammer is doing wonderful. We've also added a black ocellaris, yellow tang, and condy nem. since then. I work on offshore drilling rigs and my plan is to start fresh with a new 75g build once I get home. Ive ordered my lights (SB Reeflight 45in) for the new build already and have the tank prepped. Im going to be running an Fx6 canister filter along with my RO BH-1000 skimmer. Everything in the 29g will be used in the 75g so it shouldn't have hardly any cycle. after it stabilizes then ill start adding more fish and coral. My ultimate goal is to have a mixed reef with softies, LPS, and SPS. Pics to come very soon.

40gAC.JPG image1.jpeg image3.jpeg 29g.JPG HinS.JPG

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Good luck with the tank. I know the feeling of disaster. My 40b was full of SPS and some of them were colonies. I went out and my husband had invited one of the neighbors over. The neighbor and his 4 year old son came over. While the guys were hangout, the 4 year old was in the room where my tank was setup looking at the fishes.....and feeding the fishes......Tide Pods!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
DownSouthBandit

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I couldn’t even imagine. I know kids will be kids, but sometimes your mind wonders to, what in the h*** were you thinking?
As much as the tank crash sucked it’s teaching me a lot. I’m doing so much research for this new tank and just want to be a better reefer and pet owner for my fishy friends. This time around I’m going to try to do things right and really focus on getting my water stable. I’ve had success with corals and nem but I want to have my corals thrive like I see with all of y’alls(I’m a southern guy lol) tanks. It’s going to be a great adventure and I’m glad I get to share it with everyone. Thanks for tuning in.

OP
OP
DownSouthBandit

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.....bad news today guys and gals. I got in touch with SB Reef Lights today about shipment and I was informed, in less words, that my order went thru their Chinese warehouse but due to the coronavirus that the shipment would probably be delayed.

What puzzles me is that SB Reefs (who owns SB Reef Lights) has a warehouse in California. Now on SBreeflights.com it says that there are 70+ lights in stock. Why would you not keep your stock in your California warehouse? I am asking for an immediate refund and ok the look for another light. Any suggestions. I plan on keeping a mixed reef with SPS, LPS, and softies. I would also prefer all LED lighting and would like it to be one fixture. I was looking at the Reef Breeders Photon 48.

OP
OP
DownSouthBandit

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update, I talk to Mike from SBReefLights and my light was in stock at their Cali warehouse and was shipped earlier this morning. It should be delivered on Wednesday. I also ordered the Jebao RW-4 wavemaker which is also coming in Wednesday. The only thing I'll have to buy is my Fx6 filter, and I'd rather do that in person to minimize shipping damage.

OP
OP
DownSouthBandit

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its starting to look like a new build:eek:;Drool. I've finally received everything that I ordered. Bre(girlfriend) opened everything up to make sure nothing was broken or damaged. Now the only thing holding me back is being stuck on this drilling rig.
NewBuild.JPG

OP
OP
DownSouthBandit

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask if everything had come in. So exciting! Go home already! I want to see this tank! Lol
Was Bre able to get the Fx6?
We keep getting delayed due to crappy weather so I can't do the job I need to do. It kind of sucks because after we finish fracking ill be home 2 days after.
She didn't....yet. She'll probably have to go to Petco later today or tomorrow to pick up some nori sheets for Kona so I'll get her to pick it up today most likely. If not I'll grab it once I go get some for salt for the build.

OP
OP
DownSouthBandit

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 2-3 weeks ago our candy anemone was sucked into the intake tube if the AC 70 filter I have on the 29g. Bre was able to carefully remove it out of the screen piece and let it recover in the tank. Well under me telling her to do so, she left the screen off in intake so the nem wouldn't get sucked in again. Sometime that night my snowflake clown ended up getting sucked into the intake and was killed. After she inspected the tank today the nem looked bad and we decided to pull it out for good. We suspect that it tore its foot when it got sucked in the screen and never recovered. But.....fast forward to today and we got an order in. Meet Cartier and its atomic green bubble tip anemone....
image3-1.jpeg
image2-1.jpeg

Also she went to Petco today to look for the FX6 and all they had was the FX4, so I placed an order on amazon for it along with some PolyLab Reef Roids and some Red Sea Reef Energy A&B supplements. Does anyone use Reef Roids and/or the Reef Energy additive in their tank? How do you like it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back