new algae scrubber design

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a new algae scrubber design was introduced the other day its easier to set up than before uses just a simple air pump with airstone submerged in your tank or display with a light pointing at it. no need to cut run extra pvc or hanging screens and such over your sump/display. very easy to incorprate for anyone wanting to add some nutrient export. FYI algae scrubber doesnt have to replace your skimmer and such and is a great way to keep any algae from growing in your display, wont crash your tank, much more effecient than normal macro algaes/refugiums.

The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS))

Last edited:

killereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nice. Im wondering how I can make that work in mine......hmmmmmmmmmmm. I will have to work on it and see

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gmoney... what do you use for your screen? I have been considering making one since I have room at my sump. I dont hink I will do the upflow one but rather one at a 45 degree angle above the sump.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gmoney... what do you use for your screen? I have been considering making one since I have room at my sump. I dont hink I will do the upflow one but rather one at a 45 degree angle above the sump.

Lindsey, is your Ecobak working? I don't think adding a scrubber in combo of bio-pellets will be very effective.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an idea I came up in the last couple days for a Hang on Back version.

My idea of a HOB "Super" UAS filter. Left side is the intake for it, pump is under the box externally. There would be a surface skimmer box around the intake tube.

Water gets pulled through the surface skimmer and the pump injects air to create the bubbles and is attached via a bulkhead, then the bubbles come out a slot in bottom that has a piece of acrylic drilled like a bubble plate inside. The slot is big enough for the screen to fit very loosely in the slot. There lid that has 2 angled pieces glued to the lid to provide a path for the bubbles to go into a collection cup but when you pull the lid off it makes it easy to reach in and pull out the screen, when the lid is on the screen is held firmly in place. There will be an exit path for the water on the right with another baffle to block bubbles. Then it will drain through a media chamber where you can put in carbon, purigen, GFO, etc, and down the bottom and back up to the return line. There will be acrylic windows and I will use 7 LEDs per side. Box dimensions are 9" wide, 8" tall, 3" deep, screen size is 6" tall x 4" wide.

I think I am going to build one in the coming weeks just for the heck of it.. should only cost me a few dollars in plastic, I have everything else to do it.

7137827911_e4315aff1a_z.jpg

7137827937_88bfe9c74d_z.jpg

7137827953_11d877f0f8_z.jpg

6991746168_6e785ecac0_z.jpg

On top I would put a CPR Backpack skimmer cup with an O ring to hold it in place.
6991746216_730f83eab2_o.jpg

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I all I see with this upflow design is tons of salt creep and noise.

And evaporation. For those that need a chiller, then this is good. for those with LEDs and no chiller, extra time adding more waer to ATO and also going to use more RO/DI media making the water.

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had already made plans for a rear sump attached where the prism used to be. I will put this new design to the test when I get the sump built. It will be 1/4 thick acrylic, 15" by 9" by 6" deep and seems perfect for this design.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I all I see with this upflow design is tons of salt creep and noise.

No more so salt creep than with my waterfall scrubber. I have an extra air pump and its no noisier than a return pump as I recall althougg ill have to check it out lol

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plastic knitting canvas u need ti rough it up with a hole saw or serated steak knife something with sharp spikes so it makes a very fuzzy looking spiket screen for algae to hold onto. The scrubber your talking about is a horizontal scrubber. Just another older design this new one I think is suppose to make it easier to diy and incorporate.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A whole forum dedicated to Algae Scrubbers...Wow...somebody needs to step away from their tank and PC for awhile...

Same coulds be said about a forum for corals :) but hey someone gotta test and have a place to evolve the filtration method and hobby.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And evaporation. For those that need a chiller, then this is good. for those with LEDs and no chiller, extra time adding more waer to ATO and also going to use more RO/DI media making the water.

This design is actually showing so far much less evaporation than my waterfall scrubber. So it seems its not really adding that much evap with this style from what I've read so far. But evap can be good thing ask devonjevon lol also I think the price of extra water and new filters is pretty negligable the filters seem to last forever to me lol

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lindsey, is your Ecobak working? I don't think adding a scrubber in combo of bio-pellets will be very effective.

The biopellets would probly keep much algae from growing. Bacteria works much stronger than algae. But the earth uses both to filter the ocean.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All systems have pros and cons you just have to decide which cons u want to deal with lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back