New and need help asap

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , Brandong, This is a classic case of " info overload ". Literally everybody gave you their opinions. Too much So You have new 55 with 4 clown's & ammonia is high. That's what Your working with right? If so I suggest Water changes, Some type a ammonia remover.Keep feeding the fish. So your cycle will take a little longer , No Big deal ! Some bacteria in a bottle will help. Once Ammonia levels go away. You can address other stuff. One more thing, forget all that info overload from before.
Good luck !

joeyamador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick fix... get dr Tim's one and only and the chem pure blue... I always use when trying to quick cycle a new frag tank.. isn't a miracle cure like time and patience but i hate to see the fish die. Water changes help too but the bacteria needs replenished especially if it is a new tank.. personally I'd remove the fish and see if your lfs will hold while you try and establish the tank a little longer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No I didn't.
I guess the fish place lied to me. They said 4 clowns is fine for my tank. What will happen? Would they just fight?

Clowns will pair off and aggression will begin.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
why even reply. OP is gone. everyone ruined fish tanks for OP by being rude know it alls and slamming him for following LFS advice

I believe people came in and gave some advice. Taken to heart, many trying to put him in the right direction. Many of us in the past have been given wrong direction and pray for the right answer. He has been given from the posts I have read, good advice and tips/pointers.

You ask why bother?? ITS THE REASON WE ARE R2R AND HAVE THE BEST ADVISE AND RESCUE POINTERS WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING AND SALTWATER

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sincerely hope OP has fun with his first tank and sticks with the hobby.

Me too. He clearly cares more than some would. But it appears he’s left the forum. I hope he gets the help and support he was looking for elsewhere. Or, better yet, he comes back and sees all the support and gives us another chance.

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. He clearly cares more than some would. But it appears he’s left the forum. I hope he gets the help and support he was looking for elsewhere. Or, better yet, he comes back and sees all the support and gives us another chance.

Same. i remember 10 years ago when I got my first tank with clownfish, a coral beauty, a cheap LED, HOB filter, and a plastic hydrometer. that was sweet.

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. i remember 10 years ago when I got my first tank with clownfish, a coral beauty, a cheap LED, HOB filter, and a plastic hydrometer. that was sweet.
Yes my first tank 5.5 gal HOB filter with built in skimmer cheap bulb lighting I had 2lbs of live rock Xenia and mushrooms growing a clownfish CUC all in that tank for 4-5 years that was 20 years ago

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmmm good times.
I remember mine too. 2 yrs ago. LFS guy said it’s just like a freshwater tank. “Only difference is that you’ve gotta mix salt in”. Luckily, I did my own research and stocked w live rock and live sand plus managed to cycled it semi-properly. LFS then sold me a purple dottyback to help cycle the tank and assured its a good peaceful first fish. Also assured me QT was unnecessary.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t consider anyone on here being rude to the op.. everyone was pretty upset at the lfs.. obviously we all know it’s not the ops fault at all..
OP you have been given some good advice.. I’m sorry that you took some of the advice the wrong way but I promise you that it wasn’t directed towards you.. we all commend you for asking questions.. some don’t care enough to do even that.. R2R is the best forum on the internet.. and yes we all started and made mistakes but honestly I don’t know what I would have done without this forum when I first started.. I threw fish in a tank.. waited a few days and threw some more in and everything came crashing down on me.. I had ich and velvet and wanted to throw in the towel. Then I finally got it all together.. or I thought I did.. was testing like I was supposed to and dosing.. well I was doing to much and my tank crashed again.. so you will make beginner mistakes.. it’s ok.. as long as you read about it or ask questions we are here to help you.. best of luck with your tank.. my advice is don’t ever rush anything in this hobby.. trust me.. we all want everything up and going with pretty fish and coral NOW! But I have learned the hard way.. take it slow and you will be successful..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t consider anyone on here being rude to the op.. everyone was pretty upset at the lfs.. obviously we all know it’s not the ops fault at all..
OP you have been given some good advice.. I’m sorry that you took some of the advice the wrong way but I promise you that it wasn’t directed towards you.. we all commend you for asking questions.. some don’t care enough to do even that.. R2R is the best forum on the internet.. and yes we all started and made mistakes but honestly I don’t know what I would have done without this forum when I first started.. I threw fish in a tank.. waited a few days and threw some more in and everything came crashing down on me.. I had ich and velvet and wanted to throw in the towel. Then I finally got it all together.. or I thought I did.. was testing like I was supposed to and dosing.. well I was doing to much and my tank crashed again.. so you will make beginner mistakes.. it’s ok.. as long as you read about it or ask questions we are here to help you.. best of luck with your tank.. my advice is don’t ever rush anything in this hobby.. trust me.. we all want everything up and going with pretty fish and coral NOW! But I have learned the hard way.. take it slow and you will be successful..

Amen and well versed. We’re here for each other and the intention was support, not criticism

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back