New anemone

Donttouchthebutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1c3cdde08bb140266dbab925174b3f88.jpg

I just got this little guy from a friend and I just want a second opinion that he looks healthy lol. And if anyone could tell me what type of anemone you think it is that’d be nice. Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1c3cdde08bb140266dbab925174b3f88.jpg

I just got this little guy from a friend and I just want a second opinion that he looks healthy lol. And if anyone could tell me what type of anemone you think it is that’d be nice. Thanks!
It looks like a severely bleached bubble tip.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how he gave it to me :(
Not all hope is lost. It looks like its bubbling up nicely. You may be able to save it. If you keep immaculate water conditions, and it's under good lighting it may still recover. Just keep a very close eye on it, if it dies it releases toxins and basically nukes everything in your tank. I wouldn't try feeding it as it may stress it out more trying to force it to eat.

OP
OP
Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all hope is lost. It looks like its bubbling up nicely. You may be able to save it. If you keep immaculate water conditions, and it's under good lighting it may still recover. Just keep a very close eye on it, if it dies it releases toxins and basically nukes everything in your tank. I wouldn't try feeding it as it may stress it out more trying to force it to eat.

Well you said that about 5 minutes too late cause I just fed my tank .. but when I put food into the tank he got bigger and stretched out. I feel like that’s a good sign.. seems like he was hungry.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you said that about 5 minutes too late cause I just fed my tank .. but when I put food into the tank he got bigger and stretched out. I feel like that’s a good sign.. seems like he was hungry.
Did you feed it directly, or just the tank in general?

OP
OP
Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water conditions are very good. I’ve had him in there for about a week. Also got a brain coral, dragons breath macro, and a button polyp. The only thing is the button polyp hasn’t opened yet but I wasn’t worried about it because I know they can take a while to open up. The anemone has always been that white though, I even went back and looked at a picture I took of it when I got it.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually when they are bleached like that they lack the zooxanthellae they need to process light into energy, so a bleached nem should be spot fed to help regain health, but best is small easy to digest foods like mysis, that will not stress it.
I'd squirt mysis a couple times a week towards it.

OP
OP
Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually when they are bleached like that they lack the zooxanthellae they need to process light into energy, so a bleached nem should be spot fed to help regain health, but best is small easy to digest foods like mysis, that will not stress it.

Okay will do. Just tested my water and it’s just about perfect. He stretched out and then closed up to eat and now he is open again.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey baster? Any recommendations on how one would do that? I don't have this problem myself but I am sure the advice may help the OP and anybody else that reads this... and I'll learn what to do if it ever happens to me :).

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey baster? Any recommendations on how one would do that? I don't have this problem myself but I am sure the advice may help the OP and anybody else that reads this... and I'll learn what to do if it ever happens to me :).

Yes turkey baster or spot feeding tube, 2-3x a week
Many people have brought bleached nems back to health this way, myself included a number of times.

I do agree a new nem that is healthy should be left alone the first week or two new to tank, and a healthy nem does not need spot feeding at all if they are under good lighting, but a bleached nem needs a little help.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back