OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can copy and past if you needed.... It would be easy with a excel sheet... At launch they did say there was no way as this apex is on a different architecture.

I am taking this opportunity to clean up my apex programming... Over the years it gets a little out of hand.

On a side note still going strong!!! :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, to bad you can not sledge hammer the old one:) with all the frustration. Great shop, really nice spray both.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retracted... Waveline pump blew up... Apex disconnects might be me messing up some steps :) Apologies to Neptune if this is true.

Last edited:

Budluvcash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I want not clear. Yes probe and connectivity issues. Everything was working good for 3 days then yesterday Issues started. The connectivity issue has been crazy the last 24hrs.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is hard at work helping me and I would like to thank them for all the support I do think they have the best customer service in the hobby..

That said can anyone point out the issue in this picture?

If you cant see it my TMP_2 probe is reading a crisp 136 Degree Fahrenheit in my display tank... I am scared to call my wife to look at my tank :p.

(Might retract this post if the probe issue is fixed with Neptunes call.)

Last edited:

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unable to do an auto calibration of my salinity probe. It would lock up. I was able to calibrate it manually. Have you tried to do a manual calibration?

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unable to do an auto calibration of my salinity probe. It would lock up. I was able to calibrate it manually. Have you tried to do a manual calibration?

Yes manual and auto... my PH is reading low as well... and the temp probe Idk now I will have to check. As for the PH I get 7.8-8.0 API but I don't know.. I just don't know.....

I have 5 pack's of each calibration fluid on its way to my house... Thank you (unnamed store) for sending me this free of charge :). Will have to ask if they would like to be named...

Daeron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my background in networking, I'd be interested to see what data is actually going out, and perhaps that is going, but is corrupt somehow...I think everyone is grasping at straws with you :)

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my background in networking, I'd be interested to see what data is actually going out, and perhaps that is going, but is corrupt somehow...I think everyone is grasping at straws with you :)

I know I think I am giving Neptune heartburn lol... I hope there is a eureka moment soon as I have to deal with this mini crash when I get home...

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eureka moment might be here....... I might have messed up the new head unit they sent me..... I hope this is the case as it would make me happy. I have retracted anything negative about the latest connection issues as it might be my doing.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said can anyone point out the issue in this picture?

Not trying to make excuses nor can I offer anything but my condolences to your troubles, but I can say that web-based graphing can be difficult. When data points are missing, it's not totally uncommon for graphs to go crazy and show top/bottom line numbers (eg; spike to the top/bottom).
So what you're seeing could be just a display issue in the graphs stemming from the connection issues you (and others) are having... Perhaps.

Technology is hard. Leading-edge technology even more-so...

With my background in networking, I'd be interested to see what data is actually going out

I was thinking the same thing (or similar, at least). I'd be interested in seeing a ping test (at least) to ensure that the problem is - in fact - on your end, for example. Given the symptoms, I'd guess the problem is one* of several possible broad categories:
  1. Their network isn't handing the traffic.
    This can happen for many reasons - anything from the network hops in between being slow/down to their servers/infrastructure being too underpowered to handle the load. If this IS the problem, then I wouldn't expect them to be shipping out new head units as an attempted resolution. But that might just be a tactic to buy time while they fix their side of things (which can take time to do if scale wasn't built in to start). Not looking to disparage the company here (as I have nothing but respect for Neptune and look forward to owning an Apex of my very own soon); just running through scenarios and why they may/may not be the root cause.
  2. The head unit is using sub-par components.
    This would surprise me given the quality of the company in the past. WiFi/network gear is relatively cheap these days (a factor I'm pretty sure that was involved in the choice to build it in rather than bolt it on in the new version), but there are, as always, still low-grade producers out there. If low-grade equipment were used, that could explain why some head units work, while others fail. At the same time; this is a high-quality company that clearly recognizes the need for quality in their products. I would find it hard to believe that they would cut corners in this way. Reputation is not proof, but it is a factor.
  3. The head unit is very busy doing things, which causes network interference.
    Caveat: This area (hardware) is an area I have less experience in than software.
    With the head unit doing everything awesome that it does, there is a lot packed in there. It's possible for network signals to get interfered with (even wired connections) if there is not enough space and/or shielding surrounding them. Obviously network stuff can exist in tight places (see: cell phones), but it's still important to ensure everything is shielded properly and such. It's possible that this is not the case in the head unit, perhaps? Again; counter to this is that Neptune is neither new to this issue (I'm sure they have teams of people better qualified to think about this stuff than I am) nor are they likely to produce a sub-par product.
* - The problem could, of course, be multi-facetted. Eg; everything above and/or more. These are hard problems to solve for sure as they require that pieces be totally isolated and tested - something that pieces usually aren't designed to do easily/quickly...

All of the above is practically of little use to you getting your issue resolved. Best of luck with your eureka moment! :)

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retracted... Waveline pump blew up... Apex disconnects might be me messing up some steps :) Apologies to Neptune if this is true.

Not trying to make excuses nor can I offer anything but my condolences to your troubles, but I can say that web-based graphing can be difficult. When data points are missing, it's not totally uncommon for graphs to go crazy and show top/bottom line numbers (eg; spike to the top/bottom).
So what you're seeing could be just a display issue in the graphs stemming from the connection issues you (and others) are having... Perhaps.

Technology is hard. Leading-edge technology even more-so...

I was thinking the same thing (or similar, at least). I'd be interested in seeing a ping test (at least) to ensure that the problem is - in fact - on your end, for example. Given the symptoms, I'd guess the problem is one* of several possible broad categories:
  1. Their network isn't handing the traffic.
    This can happen for many reasons - anything from the network hops in between being slow/down to their servers/infrastructure being too underpowered to handle the load. If this IS the problem, then I wouldn't expect them to be shipping out new head units as an attempted resolution. But that might just be a tactic to buy time while they fix their side of things (which can take time to do if scale wasn't built in to start). Not looking to disparage the company here (as I have nothing but respect for Neptune and look forward to owning an Apex of my very own soon); just running through scenarios and why they may/may not be the root cause.
  2. The head unit is using sub-par components.
    This would surprise me given the quality of the company in the past. WiFi/network gear is relatively cheap these days (a factor I'm pretty sure that was involved in the choice to build it in rather than bolt it on in the new version), but there are, as always, still low-grade producers out there. If low-grade equipment were used, that could explain why some head units work, while others fail. At the same time; this is a high-quality company that clearly recognizes the need for quality in their products. I would find it hard to believe that they would cut corners in this way. Reputation is not proof, but it is a factor.
  3. The head unit is very busy doing things, which causes network interference.
    Caveat: This area (hardware) is an area I have less experience in than software.
    With the head unit doing everything awesome that it does, there is a lot packed in there. It's possible for network signals to get interfered with (even wired connections) if there is not enough space and/or shielding surrounding them. Obviously network stuff can exist in tight places (see: cell phones), but it's still important to ensure everything is shielded properly and such. It's possible that this is not the case in the head unit, perhaps? Again; counter to this is that Neptune is neither new to this issue (I'm sure they have teams of people better qualified to think about this stuff than I am) nor are they likely to produce a sub-par product.
* - The problem could, of course, be multi-facetted. Eg; everything above and/or more. These are hard problems to solve for sure as they require that pieces be totally isolated and tested - something that pieces usually aren't designed to do easily/quickly...

All of the above is practically of little use to you getting your issue resolved. Best of luck with your eureka moment! :)

Thank you and yes I hope for the best..... It looks like I might have messed up the latest round with the Apex while setting it up.. They are going to give me a call and help me threw it. This might fix every issue there is and I hope it does. I still honestly hope they come back and tell me its on my end. This would make me feel better about everything that has gone down.

As for the web-based graphing I can see your point and do understand... It was just a shock when I looked :p.

"(as I have nothing but respect for Neptune and look forward to owning an Apex of my very own soon)"
Again I am with you this thread is not here to bash or upset Neptune or anyone it is here just to document my road to the new apex. As stated many times I am still a big fan boy :)

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the web-based graphing I can see your point and do understand... It was just a shock when I looked

Yup yup; that's why I mentioned it - to help you work through that shock a bit more. ;-)

Again I am with you this thread is not here to bash or upset Neptune or anyone it is here just to document my road to the new apex. As stated many times I am still a big fan boy :)

YOU?!? A big fan boy of Neptune? (checks your avatar) I would never have guessed!

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a update to the Apex saga!
Spending time on the phone Neptune was able to fix the issue i caused updating the AOS. The functionality of the unit is improved 1000 fold. I can log into Fusion and Local and work in it but still have a conductivity issue.

I don't see this affecting my ability to run the tank just odd I guess.

I have a issue now of my graphs not updating and some odd errors but this was assured to be fixed tonight when I get home.

In the end I do feel like a beta tester of the new apex... I don't mind just wish they told me first so I could better prepare and not spend the last 6 days strait working on it.

I do see a light at the end of the tunnel now and feel good about it. :)

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back