new Australian Micromussa...or is it an acan?

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all....this past weekend in Toronto was utter madness, to say the least....we had two stores bring in a huge load of Australian acan lord colonies.....it was mind boggling to see these intensely coloured gems first hand. One of the stores even told me that more than half of the acans they got in were being shipped out again to US reef shops and online stores....so guys, keep your eyes out for Canadian Aussie Acan Lord colonies..lol

Anyways...I organized a group buy and we pickd up two sick pieces...one of which is posted below.....it was prolly the best piece from either store, and it was definiely the most expensive, let me tell ya!

but before I chop it up for the group, I wanted to know if it was a micro or actually an acan lord.......it seems like a Micro at first, right?? that's what I thought, but if you look around the periphery, the texture is more rough, and it appears more acan lord-like....

what say you, mussid experts? ;)

DSC_0072.jpg

aussi1.jpg

(not my pics....i'll post mine tonight)

Zach.

SteveO

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to say. The polyps look like either small lords or big micros. Either way it looks sweet, put in in line for a frag of that guy!

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to say. The polyps look like either small lords or big micros. Either way it looks sweet, put in in line for a frag of that guy!

wait til you see the other acan we got.....man......those Australians have been holding out on us with those acan lords, i tell ya!.....Indonesian acan lords suck the big one when you compare them to Australia...u can quote me on that! lol

Zach.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a lords but I'm a newbie at this game so I wouldn't really know.. LoLz...

awesome piece that's for sure!

so, how many heads do I get again? hahahaha :hammer:

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sweet!!!!! I am not 100% but I am leaning towards Lord. But once again those are sweet!!!!!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sweet, but how are they getting these from Australia when there corals and waters are under protection? Unless they are out side of the actual waters under protection....I would hate to see these things being brought in by illegal means or coral poachers......then it wouldn't matter how nice they are to me anyway......

They are really sweet looking though.....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what does a beaut like that set you back in Canada? :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PM me then with your confession! I really want to know! :D

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sweet, but how are they getting these from Australia when there corals and waters are under protection? Unless they are out side of the actual waters under protection....I would hate to see these things being brought in by illegal means or coral poachers......then it wouldn't matter how nice they are to me anyway......

i think australia has started allowing limited collection, ex. the duncans coming in at roes. also indonesia is right above australia so i would expect species to be present in both places and a lot of corals come from indonesia

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no worries James...no illegal business going on here......Australia has recently opened their coral market to export - for the time being....the Aussies just so happened to choose Canada as one of the first places to ship to..for what reason, i have no clue!

....these shipments this past weekend was the second time they've shipped to us in the past month....both of the stores that brought them in this weekend have already placed orders for more...i can't wait!

FWIW, my buddy said his Aussie supplier is preparing a large order for California...so you guys will get your piece of the pie soon enough...sit tight

oh yeah....lots of duncans also came in.....they were going for $8/polyp ($7.25USD/polyp)!!!!!

So what does a beaut like that set you back in Canada? :D

that red one is $600CDN ($545USD) ...but it was the most expensive, for obvious reasons LOL....the rest were going for $250-$450CDN

Zach.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang that's like $18 per polyp!!

Can I buy a few please!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also indonesia is right above australia so i would expect species to be present in both places and a lot of corals come from indonesia

you are right, there are species that are endemic to both countries, especially when it comes to acan lords....BUT there is no way you will find acans in Indo of the same calibre as Australia, not even close.

that mainly has to do with geography, from what I read a long while back (sorry, i gots no source)......temperate (or moderately temperate) reefs are found in Australia and Japan (Okinawa), and those two countries are the only two places that produce mussids (acan, micros) with such amazing colour combos

In fact, Japanese acans/micros would easily give Australia a run for it's money when it comes to colour, brilliance, patterns, etc

Zach

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know anything about the subject, but discovery channel says just the opposite. That indonesia has the more colorfull corals... Like I said, Just what I heard...

oh yeah...i wasn't saying indo has mute colours....i know they have some really off the wall stuff...but when it comes to acans and micros...i think australia takes the cake

plus...have any of you seen an indo acan that really was off the charts? maybe....but when you see what Australia has to offer, you'll be floored.

Zach.

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I have seen Aussie Acans. But from what I have seen in person of Indo and Japanese Acans, the Indo varieties don't even come close in terms of colors and patterns.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the Acans from Ausie are coming from the NW part of Australia that is near Indonesia. Everyone thinks Indonesia is just Bali and Jakarta but Indonesia is large . All the islands collect and ship to the main stations like Bali and Indonesia. I have gotten some crazy colors of Acan Lords out of Indonesia. I agree with coralnutz that the Japanese Acan term is mostly marketing and another way of getting a higher price. Of course some make it into this country but 80% of the ones in this market are fakes IMO. Some micros that are coming out of Tonga are sweet and have bright colors. I hight doubt they are collecting the Acans from Aussie other than the NW section because then your running into cold water fish and corals.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back