New bare bottom tank high nutrients

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got a new 15 gallon tank and just tested after adding zoas and a gsp frag. Noticed they weren’t doing well compared to my 13.5 tank. These are the results. Need help in trying to figure out a solution. Doing a water change now hoping it’ll help. Tank has a filter sock and filter floss in the back of aio. Also has a rock back there for more surface area. the tanks has been up for about 3 months and don’t think the previous owner did any water changes. Need advice. Thanks! Btw blue is phosphates and pink is nitrates.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the only life in there, I would move them back to your other tank and completely drain this one.

100 nitrates isn't going to be solved any other way.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the only life in there, I would move them back to your other tank and completely drain this one.

100 nitrates isn't going to be solved any other way.
Gotcha, just moved them and did a 20% water change. Just don’t know what would cause this. Maybe months of no water changes?

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, just moved them and did a 20% water change. Just don’t know what would cause this. Maybe months of no water changes?
Which tank did you change 20% of? Because 80% of 100 nitrates is still 80 nitrates. I would do a 100% water change to get rid of them completely.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank did you change 20% of? Because 80% of 100 nitrates is still 80 nitrates. I would do a 100% water change to get rid of them completely.
I did the 15 gallon which was the higher nitrate one. I will do a 100% once I get the chance to do so. Do you Think it would be the neglect of water changes that would cause this? Also how would you approach the filter sock? Never had one as I use filter floss and basket in my 13.5

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back