New Biocube 32 setup

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, one of the members here Matt Carden suggested I cross-post my first intro thread from the meet and greet thread over here, so here it is! Going to try and add more pics. Warning, moar pics including some from Biocube 16 and an aquarium helper are mixed in. Quoted cross post below and build pictures below.

"

I have a Biocube 16 but I also ended up getting a biocube 32 LED recently. Put black sand, base rock, a small piece of live rock from my established tank, and a raw shrimp in and now I'm just waiting on the magic to start happening. Supposed to be a few pictures below of the scape below, but it's my first post so hopefully the pics work. The big rock in the middle of the third picture was kind of an extra and will probably be removed or broken up into a smaller piece to mount a small coral on in the front. May use some for LR rubble in the back. Didn't know quite what I wanted to do with it yet, so I decided to cycle it. Going through a diatom bloom right now almost two weeks in. Rocks and sand are starting to bubble and I have already detected ammonia and nitrite. Haven't tested for nitrate yet, but I'm sure it's getting there.

Equipment list/wishlist:

-Hydor Slim skim NANO in chamber 1
-Cobalt Neotherm 100W (possibly chamber 1 vs 2, hopefully 1)
-Intank media basket in chamber 2 with filter floss and chemi pure.
-Intank fuge basket in chamber 2 (haven't decided on light yet, maybe coralife refugium light vs JBJ nano glo LED)
-Jebao RW-4 wavemaker
-Aqua Temp smart temp security heater controller
-Hanna Checkers
-refractometer
-stock circulation pump, stock lights
-No ATO system. evaporation is glacially slow on these LED biocubes.

Stocking ideas/wish list (Not a definitive list of every inhabitant). Would like to end up fully stocked at around 5 fish. Going for bold colored fish. If anyone knows of some really cool looking tank bred fish that would go well in a biocube 32, please let me know. Favorites below:
  1. ORA Orchid dottyback-definitely gettting this one, love the looks of it.

2. Sailfin blenny either black or colored-for personality and algae control.

3. wrasse of some type (pink-streaked, six-line, fourline, or canary)-hopefully for rock pest control and I also kind of like the way wrasses swim.

4. yellow assessor basslet-bright bold color, supposed to be peaceful

5. dwarf flame angel or pygmy cherub angel. Open to any suggestions on this idea. Not my first choice but I do like the colors and wife really wants one. I've seen them in biocube 29s before and if you get a good one, they seem to do well. would probably introduce last.

6. clownfish from my current tank (maybe, this fish is kind of a jerk). undecided on whether I want to breakdown my 16 gallon or let my clown continue to host her frogspawn to her little heart's content without outsiders (she hates company).

7. Possible lyretail or longnose hawfish. LFS has a really cute lyretail

8. undecided on cleaner shrimp or emerald crab.

9. snails and hermits.
Corals: mostly LPS, some frags from my current tank... mostly undecided but probably about 12 different species. I like acans. maybe a birdsnest or montipora of some type.

Maintenance: plan to do 10% water changes when I can, about once every two weeks and also dose with BRS two part dosing system. Change the filter floss at that time and also trim the chaeto in the fuge and empty the protein skimmer as needed.

Feeding: Will probably continue to use a blend of frozen mysis and cyclops once a day. Target feed corals maybe once or twice a week on average. may add frozen veggie blend if I get an omnivore. Going to start experimenting with reef roids too.

Let me know if you have any other ideas or input about this tank setup/build, Thanks!

I have had a Biocube since about 2009 (orginally a 14 which was eventually transferred to a 16), so not entirely new to the hobby, but also not an expert in everything reef. I might try to transfer a couple corals out of the 16 into this one, but wasn't planning on transferring a whole lot over because that tank has relatively major bubble algae and vermitid snail problems unfortunately. No matter how much I manually remove those things, I can't seem to win and most critters that eat those things are too big for a biocube."

Build:

$2/lb base rock pieces
IMG_2460.JPG

Messing around with traced cardboard cutout of my tank footprint
IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5268.JPG

Didn't take any pics of it before adding sand, but I placed all my rock on a piece of white egg crate for a couple purposes I guess, to keep it off the glass but on a firm base, but more importantly to raise it up a half inch or so so the sand doesn't cover the look I was going for... the egg crate basically added almost a half inch in height to my arch, which I think makes a difference. Epoxied it all up with Instant Ocean holdfast with some trial and error. Added from Black Arag Alive sand and clouded up the water real nice.

IMG_3517.JPG

Sidetrack to bubble algae *cover your eyes* and vermatid infested Biocube 16.

IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_5270.JPG

Get back to work, Dad. I need to see some fish!

IMG_1143.jpg

All cleared up and cycling. I like how my scape turned out I think, I know I wanted at least one arch, but I also wanted some nice relatively flat spots at multiple levels for ease of coral placement. Adequate spacing along the side of the rocks was also a must for glass cleaning purposes. I ended up chipping off little bits of rock with a chisel and hammer to get the clearance I wanted. It looks really close to the glass in the picture, but it's not too bad. super plenty of clearance on the front as well because I wanted maybe some plate corals out front as well as just negative space for fish to swim instead of just a bunch of rock piled in. fish still have some good hiding places behind and on the sides of the rock and under the arch.

IMG_4374.JPG

With Blues.
IMG_7246.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG
Added extra base rock, which will be broken up and or mostly removed later and possibly turned to rubble later... I am going for a much less rock look compared to my current 16. My display will end up with about 17-18 lbs of very porous base rock.
IMG_5456.JPG
Added an extra raw shrimp to really juice up the bacteria/nutrient load for the cycle. Not sure if it will help or not but I figured the cycling may need a little more goading given I am starting with basically dead base rock. Diatoms are in style right now about 2 weeks in... Anyhow, will update a little later on, will likely be a slow process over the next few months.

IMG_9381.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_7748.JPG

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks beautiful Matt, and it looks like you have a keen helper as well! Remember ‘get ya fingers off the Glass!lol

I really like the rock work

And welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us!

OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef! What kind of sand is that?

Carib Sea Arag Alive Hawaiian Black. I used to have white sand, then in my most recent tank had no sand, which I kind of preferred over the white sand. For this tank, there's a chance I get a critter that would need/want some sand so I thought I would try black. So far, I like it. When I eventually put corals in, I hope the contrast helps the colors pop more.

Update: finally detected some nitrates, ammonia/nitrite are falling. Diatom growth slowing. Wait if killing me. Some of the equipment, but not all has been ordered. Birthday is coming up soon, wife may get me something for the tank :)
IMG_1153.JPG

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Get that wave maker going. I had the Jeboa RW-4. I really liked it, but it died after 6 months. Still for the price, with an included controller (it is an awesome controller), you really can't beat it. I found that everyone liked the "else" mode the best.

OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Get that wave maker going. I had the Jeboa RW-4. I really liked it, but it died after 6 months. Still for the price, with an included controller (it is an awesome controller), you really can't beat it. I found that everyone liked the "else" mode the best.

Thanks for the input. yes, I have heard about the reliability issues but i just can’t justify a $250 mp10 powerhead that costs almost as much as the tank. I could buy 4 replacement jebaos at that price and have similar function. Hopefully jebao continues to improve their product and keep it at a reasonable price.

OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1229.JPG
No real updates yet, clean up crew was added after algae started establishing itself. CUC has been doing well. added a few empty shells for the hermits, no takers yet... ;Yawn pretty sure I am going to add a dosing pump to my equipment list... probably going to try and get a six channel one to run Ca, Mag, and Alk to both of my biocubes through one pump. I could figure out the evaporation and could add RODI to mag to replenish evap water too. My hands are tired of dosing syringes two times a day, and definitely don't want to do it on two tanks once this one is established.

jim 2720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks look good, i got a 29 gallon biocube and it's pretty cool.
I also had a bad bubble algae problem so i took a chance and got an emrald crab, he did great didn't bother anything else. However when he runs out, give him back to the fish store, he started eating my snails
It took mine about a few months to clear it all.

OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks look good, i got a 29 gallon biocube and it's pretty cool.
I also had a bad bubble algae problem so i took a chance and got an emrald crab, he did great didn't bother anything else. However when he runs out, give him back to the fish store, he started eating my snails
It took mine about a few months to clear it all.

My very first emerald crab i got several years ago is the only one i have seen actually eat and keep bubble algae in check. I was very sad when he died since then, i havent been able to find an emerald that actually eats the stuff. I have two in there now but i havent noticed an impact yet. If it makes a difference, i have the red bubble algae, not the green stuff. I have doubled down on manual removal efforts which has helped some. I found a really cool surgical alligator grip tool which makes it a little easier. i have been considering using a product such as “Vibrant” once i get the infestation down a little more

OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all this stuff is on the way:
Skimmer, 6 channel dosing pump (plan to use for both my biocubes for now), wavemaker, intank media rack, intank refugium, jbj nano glo refugium light, reef roids, autoaqua temp controller, and dr. Tims ammonia.

I ended up needing to get some ammonia because i figured out my old ammonia testing kit was faulty nearing the end of my cycle so i couldnt really trust the positives and negatives i was getting during my six week cycle. I’m pretty sure it’s cycled (added a couple shrimps and have fed the CUC intermittently and its been cycling since jan 24th. Zero nitrites, about 5-10 nitrates, and zero ammonia with a new kit) but i figured i would dose the tank to 2-3 ppm ammonia and see how fast it clears just to make sure before adding fish.

Anyhow, to me it seems like alot of equipment and dollars for a tank that doesn’t have a powerful light, but I’m rationalizing the expenditures by knowing that i’ll upgrade the lighting eventually when i believe the tank is ready/stable and i can afford the lighting as well as some cool stony corals. Will probably get steve’s leds eventually. I’m a sucker for the clean look of the hood.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all this stuff is on the way:
Skimmer, 6 channel dosing pump (plan to use for both my biocubes for now), wavemaker, intank media rack, intank refugium, jbj nano glo refugium light, reef roids, autoaqua temp controller, and dr. Tims ammonia.

I ended up needed to get some ammonia because i figured out my ammonia testing kit was faulty nearing the end of my cycle so i couldnt really trust the positives and negatives i was getting during my six week cycle. I’m pretty sure it’s cycled (added a couple shrimps and have fed the CUC intermittently and its been cycling since jan 24th. Zero nitrites, about 5-10 nitrates, and zero ammonia with a new kit) but i figured i would dose the tank to 2-3 ppm ammonia and see how fast it clears just to make sure before adding fish.

Anyhow, to me it seems like alot of equipment and dollars for a tank that doesn’t have a powerful light, but I’m rationalizing the expenditures by knowing that i’ll upgrade the lighting eventually when i believe the tank is ready/stable and i can afford the lighting as well as some cool stony corals. Will probably get steve’s leds eventually. I’m a sucker for the clean look of the hood.

I hope that all works out for you, but honestly, at some point, you have to let nature take its course. IMHO

MauiMarineAquarium (MMA)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. The tank loots really nice. I like the addition of the extra rock. Give you a small cave and extra some-what flat spot for corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back