New boxfish

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick picture of the little guy while acclimating. I've debated for quite awhile on giving one of these a try and when I saw this one decided to finally do it.

Ostracion solorensis

file_zps842a3d0d.jpg

file_zps5966e8bb.jpg

OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So far so good - pretty surprised to see him out and about and eating already. No hiding, not shy in the least - with him so small I figured I wouldn't see him for at least a few days! Positive sign, I'm really looking forward to watching him grow!

GrahamR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of inverts in your tank? I'm just curious how "invert friendly" they are? I know that porcupine puffers are not very friendly to the hermits and snails.... even when you think you have him well fed.......

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's a cutie! They are omnivores and love macro algae.

OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute lil' guy!

:smile:

Do you have a lot of inverts in your tank? I'm just curious how "invert friendly" they are? I know that porcupine puffers are not very friendly to the hermits and snails.... even when you think you have him well fed.......

Not too many that will be meal size for him for quite awhile .... he's only a little over an inch long right now. I've read that they are 'cautiously' safe with most inverts but realize that he may also eat some when larger. The tank he will be in will have an assortment of snails - I'm thinking the dwarf ceriths will most likely be the most at risk - some cleaner shrimp, some small feather dusters and a few serpent stars - which should be safe. Will just have to see how it goes when he's big enough to actually eat any of them. The tank he is in right now for his isolation actually has some peppermint shrimp and hermits in it which he has not even looked at - but again, he is so small I'm not sure he could eat them if he wanted to!

he's a cutie! They are omnivores and love macro algae.

Yup, he's picked at little shreds of sea veggies already ..... cyclops and roggers food ..... and appears to be pod hunting too. I'm really hoping he will get a taste for xenia!! lol

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cute. It has very unique coloring from many I've seen which are usually greenish in color. Yours is much prettier!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back