New Build Red Sea Max C-130

Chicago-quicksilver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, now that I've settled into my new place and finally found the tank I was looking for I'm ready to get back into it. My tank crashed during the move and lost all my coral and was only able to save a single clownfish and a yellow tail damsel.

Picked up a used Red Sea Max C-130, the wife will only allow a tank with a closed canopy and she loved the look of the Red Sea Max 250 that I had many years ago. Should have never moved on from the tank.

Tank is up and currently cycling.

Modifying the hood to place a Radion XR30w with a diffuser inside the hood. Hoping the diffuser will help spread out the light since it's only a few inches from the water.
Upgrading the fans in the hood from 2 to 6 to handle the cooling of the light.
Ordered a LifeReef Overflow and already picked up a Bashsea Mano Nano sump.
Will be running a Vertex 130 skimmer along with an algae scrubber.

Hoping that this will be my final build and I'll keep this for many years, well at least that's my wife's hope.

Going back to the nem/softie tank that I had before I broke down my tank before the move. Not sure if I'll do the clownfish harem again due to the size of this tank vs the last one.

Pictures of the build, keep in mind it's still a work in progress. The gyre is only in the front for flow for now.

20210407_135120.jpg
20210407_141011.jpg

20210407_143210.jpg
20210407_143217.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice

OP
OP
C

Chicago-quicksilver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is cycled and running perfectly. Picked up a leather frag and placed my toadstool leather in the tank about a week ago. Got my LifeReef Overflow and hope to have it up and running this week. Currently running my radion xr30w gen 4 at 50% on AB. Debating on taking the diffuser off since the shadowing is a little more than I would like.
20210514_100336.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chicago-quicksilver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with the Kessil was I wasn't sure if it would fit with the control knobs on top, I also needed the light to be app ready like the Radion is with the Mobius app. I didn't want to make holes on top to access the controls and everything had to be app-controlled. I agree, the light is overkill for the tank and the type of livestock/coral I'll have but I got a good deal on it used.
If you place something inside, add extra fans, I purchased 6 new red sea fans and placed them all inside blowing across the inside. One set of 3 draws air in on one side and the other set of 3 draws it out. Temps with the fans on is around 76 degrees.
Also, whenever I upgrade I can easily remove the light for my next build.

OP
OP
C

Chicago-quicksilver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, here is the latest update.

I've added 13 BTAs, a mix of 11x ultra rainbows, and 2x (1 is in the process of splitting) shermans. It's been almost 5 days and it still hasn't fully split. First time I was able to capture a split on camera since it's happening on the glass.

My clean-up crew is working hard and my 2 turbo snails have pretty much cleaned up my GHA issue. Hoping they continue to find a food source and I've increased my lightning schedule to encourage a bit more growth for them. Unfortunately, my leather didn't make the transfer and starting to disengrate. Hoping to find another one to add to the tank.

Hoping to add a few fish soon, my kids are getting impatient.

Pics below, sorry for all the microbubbles. Just added some RODI water to the tank.
20210630_103727.jpg

20210630_103742.jpg

20210627_103722.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a while, here is the latest update.

I've added 13 BTAs, a mix of 11x ultra rainbows, and 2x (1 is in the process of splitting) shermans. It's been almost 5 days and it still hasn't fully split. First time I was able to capture a split on camera since it's happening on the glass.

My clean-up crew is working hard and my 2 turbo snails have pretty much cleaned up my GHA issue. Hoping they continue to find a food source and I've increased my lightning schedule to encourage a bit more growth for them. Unfortunately, my leather didn't make the transfer and starting to disengrate. Hoping to find another one to add to the tank.

Hoping to add a few fish soon, my kids are getting impatient.

Pics below, sorry for all the microbubbles. Just added some RODI water to the tank.
20210630_103727.jpg

20210630_103742.jpg

20210627_103722.jpg

Loving it!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back