OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday 08/08/2017 4:10pm CDT

Today the 225 micron mesh filter sock clogged up with a brown slimy material, I removed the filter sock and replaced it with a 225 micron felt sock, at the same time I turned back on the Skimer. Within 1 hour the tank was almost completly clear and while the Skimmer was still over producing it was noticeably slower, additionally I cleaned the inside of thr galss and back wall of most of the slime (I will finish this tomorrow). Within 1-1/2 hours the felt scok was completly plugged and I replaced it with the now clean mesh sock.

I have been draining the Skimmer collection cup into a bucket for the past few hours and I will do so for the next several hours, once the felt sock is out of the washing maching I will replace the mesh with it and see how long it lasts tonight.

System parameters are:
Ammonia .5 ppm
Nitrite 5.0 ppm
Nitraite 30 ppm
Specific Gravity 1.024
Temp 77.6F
ph 7.8

Encourging results.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid bacteria die off to me. Good news for your problem with the bloom!

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is what I was thinking, hopefully Monday I will be able to add a swimmer. Depending on what the tests show.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday 08/08/2017 4:10pm CDT

Today the 225 micron mesh filter sock clogged up with a brown slimy material, I removed the filter sock and replaced it with a 225 micron felt sock, at the same time I turned back on the Skimer. Within 1 hour the tank was almost completly clear and while the Skimmer was still over producing it was noticeably slower, additionally I cleaned the inside of thr galss and back wall of most of the slime (I will finish this tomorrow). Within 1-1/2 hours the felt scok was completly plugged and I replaced it with the now clean mesh sock.

I have been draining the Skimmer collection cup into a bucket for the past few hours and I will do so for the next several hours, once the felt sock is out of the washing maching I will replace the mesh with it and see how long it lasts tonight.

System parameters are:
Ammonia .5 ppm
Nitrite 5.0 ppm
Nitraite 30 ppm
Specific Gravity 1.024
Temp 77.6F
ph 7.8

Encourging results.

Sounds like things are moving forward nicely. Just wait to do anything else with the tank until nitrite is 0ppm. Those bacteria take longer to grow and nitrite may still go higher. That being said, you may be fish ready by next week if everything has settled down.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7:55pm CDT. Amazing what cleaning out the old crud and installing a 225 micron sock (twice) will do. Even the Skimmer is begining to behave.

Reef Tank 08-08-2017.jpg

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8:55am CST. Grrrr....... Friday I performed a little cleaning before purchasing the first swimmer. I found a lot of the Yellowish slime in the overlow and in the sump, so much so that my 225 micron felt sock plugged within an hour.

Then the tank became cloudy again, not pea soup but hazy.

I am going to perform a 5 gallon water change shortly and see what happens.

Any ideas? I have never had something like this happen before?

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8:55am CST. Grrrr....... Friday I performed a little cleaning before purchasing the first swimmer. I found a lot of the Yellowish slime in the overlow and in the sump, so much so that my 225 micron felt sock plugged within an hour.

Then the tank became cloudy again, not pea soup but hazy.

I am going to perform a 5 gallon water change shortly and see what happens.

Any ideas? I have never had something like this happen before?
Yep. It happened to me. It will go away, I promise!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is the second bacterial bloom.
Yep, I went through a couple of them also. It gets better. You'll deal with much harder problems in the future, like green hair algae. (I'm kidding of course, it's actually rather easy to deal with.)

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I made a mess of things this afternoon. I completly cleaned and scrubbed the Tank, Sump, Skimmer , Return Pump and well everything. I placed a 200 micron sock over the outflow into the tank to catch all of the muck, which worked out very well and while the tank is sstill lightly cloudy still I feel that when this bacterial bloom subsides I will be ready for my first swimmer.

Tomorrow I will perform a 5 gallon water change.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I made a mess of things this afternoon. I completly cleaned and scrubbed the Tank, Sump, Skimmer , Return Pump and well everything. I placed a 200 micron sock over the outflow into the tank to catch all of the muck, which worked out very well and while the tank is sstill lightly cloudy still I feel that when this bacterial bloom subsides I will be ready for my first swimmer.

Tomorrow I will perform a 5 gallon water change.

Before you do that water change, what are your parameters? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? You want to start off as problem free as you can instead of spending lots of time and money trying to correct problems with livestock in the tank.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No livestock in the tank yet.

System parameters are:
Ammonia .0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0 ppm
Nitraite 0 ppm
Phosphate 0
Specific Gravity 1.024
Temp 77.5F
ph 7.8

Maybe the best option is to wait a few days and see of the bacterial bloom subsides?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No livestock in the tank yet.
System parameters are:
Ammonia .0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0 ppm
Nitraite 0 ppm
Phosphate 0
Specific Gravity 1.024
Temp 77.5F
ph 7.8

Maybe the best option is to wait a few days and see of the bacterial bloom subsides?
Yes just let it run it’s course

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back