New Build Steel Stand Questions

2fish4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade to a 120g 48x24x24 from a 40g breeder. I want to build a steel stand and need some help with materials. I have searched all over and cant seem to get a straigh answer from other posts. I need to know what size and guage steel I need to get for the build. I was looking at 2 vertical braces on the front (front left and right corners) and three vertical braces on the back (back left and right and then a center). Then your regular box on top and bottom. I will be 45ing all corners to seal the stand and then powdercoat it. Can anyone help with the steel material issue?

Thansk

dson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 150g, which is 60x24x36, I used 1.5" square tube 1/8" gauge. For the front, you are going to need a post in the center also, based on the length of the stand. You can make the stand out of thicker steel (more expensive and a lot heavier) to span the 48" but I wouldn’t recommend it. I did the 45ing also on the top and bottom squares to seal the stand and I powder coated mine black and it looks great. I also added 6 leveling feet under each vertical post and they make leveling the stand a breeze. Hope this helps.

michaelortiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We buy a new aquarium about 2 months ago and stuck into problem of where to keep it. I am specialized in making metal building colorado and I have plenty of metal tools specially steel in my garage so I have decided to make a steel stand.I made just a simple rectangular stand measuring 38'' L x 17'' W x 35'' H using 1/6'' thick 2 x 2's as the main structure and 1'' square tube at bottom.

OP
OP

2fish4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stand.jpg

Would love to make one just like this out of 1.5x1.5 11 gauge.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 57 27.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back