New Build Steel Stand Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2fish4u
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

2fish4u

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
28
Location
Mandeville, LA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade to a 120g 48x24x24 from a 40g breeder. I want to build a steel stand and need some help with materials. I have searched all over and cant seem to get a straigh answer from other posts. I need to know what size and guage steel I need to get for the build. I was looking at 2 vertical braces on the front (front left and right corners) and three vertical braces on the back (back left and right and then a center). Then your regular box on top and bottom. I will be 45ing all corners to seal the stand and then powdercoat it. Can anyone help with the steel material issue?

Thansk
 
For my 150g, which is 60x24x36, I used 1.5" square tube 1/8" gauge. For the front, you are going to need a post in the center also, based on the length of the stand. You can make the stand out of thicker steel (more expensive and a lot heavier) to span the 48" but I wouldn’t recommend it. I did the 45ing also on the top and bottom squares to seal the stand and I powder coated mine black and it looks great. I also added 6 leveling feet under each vertical post and they make leveling the stand a breeze. Hope this helps.
 
We buy a new aquarium about 2 months ago and stuck into problem of where to keep it. I am specialized in making metal building colorado and I have plenty of metal tools specially steel in my garage so I have decided to make a steel stand.I made just a simple rectangular stand measuring 38'' L x 17'' W x 35'' H using 1/6'' thick 2 x 2's as the main structure and 1'' square tube at bottom.
 
stand.jpg

Would love to make one just like this out of 1.5x1.5 11 gauge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new