New, but old

LiveRockDaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, old to the hobby but new to starting back up. I see some things have changed since 2011 . I used to have a 30g FOWLR for a few years until me and my SO moved in together - and they didn't allow pets. For the past two years I've been itching to start one back up.

So, skip to this past Saturday. We helped my mother out with a community yard sale. Low and behold, I seen a Coralife Biocube 14. I quickly looked on google and seen they go for roughly $300 new. Mind you, we already have a FW tank (10g) for a goldfish my son won at a carnival. Anyways, back to my yard sale find. $20 and it came with a lot of extras - mainly filter cartridges. So I detoxed it with 1:1 vinegar and water, did a leak test, cleaned all the working parts - and now we are here. Yesterday I went and got some live sand as well as live rock, and immediately put it together. Today I'm getting my test kit (I forgot it ‍*facepalm*). I'd like to get the lights replaced (debating on replacing the CFL's or splurging on the new LED hood. For now it's going to house 2 clowns, a small CUC and eventually down the road some hardy corals.

Today my salinity is at 1.023 with 9.5g of water. I used Prime to dechlorinate until my RODI system comes, prior to pouring it in. I'm sure it's cycling, I just have no means to test it right now as I only have a freshwater test kit (does it really matter?). Last time I cycled my tank, I threw a piece of cod in it to get it going, and it took forever. I'm debating just throwing in some Turbostart 900 so I know it did something. Anyways, here's some pictures of my obvious tunnels and newbie rockacaping. There's only so much you can do in a 14g .

IMG_0832.jpeg IMG_0833.jpeg IMG_0834.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, old to the hobby but new to starting back up. I see some things have changed since 2011 . I used to have a 30g FOWLR for a few years until me and my SO moved in together - and they didn't allow pets. For the past two years I've been itching to start one back up.

So, skip to this past Saturday. We helped my mother out with a community yard sale. Low and behold, I seen a Coralife Biocube 14. I quickly looked on google and seen they go for roughly $300 new. Mind you, we already have a FW tank (10g) for a goldfish my son won at a carnival. Anyways, back to my yard sale find. $20 and it came with a lot of extras - mainly filter cartridges. So I detoxed it with 1:1 vinegar and water, did a leak test, cleaned all the working parts - and now we are here. Yesterday I went and got some live sand as well as live rock, and immediately put it together. Today I'm getting my test kit (I forgot it ‍*facepalm*). I'd like to get the lights replaced (debating on replacing the CFL's or splurging on the new LED hood. For now it's going to house 2 clowns, a small CUC and eventually down the road some hardy corals.

Today my salinity is at 1.023 with 9.5g of water. I used Prime to dechlorinate until my RODI system comes, prior to pouring it in. I'm sure it's cycling, I just have no means to test it right now as I only have a freshwater test kit (does it really matter?). Last time I cycled my tank, I threw a piece of cod in it to get it going, and it took forever. I'm debating just throwing in some Turbostart 900 so I know it did something. Anyways, here's some pictures of my obvious tunnels and newbie rockacaping. There's only so much you can do in a 14g .

IMG_0832.jpeg IMG_0833.jpeg IMG_0834.jpeg

Welcome and welcome back to hobby! Glad you joined. There are lots more ways these days to cycle, no one likes to wait. Back in the day I used a dead dinner leftover shrimp, so I giggled at your haddock mention.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in PA:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
LiveRockDaddy

LiveRockDaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and welcome back to hobby! Glad you joined. There are lots more ways these days to cycle, no one likes to wait. Back in the day I used a dead dinner leftover shrimp, so I giggled at your haddock mention.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in PA:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks! I did start my build thread! I have it linked over there <—

ive been following the budget build video from SWA.com, but am open to other things as well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back