New Clam is Closed

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Derasa yesterday at RAP in Orlando. I drip acclimated and it was opened during acclimation. I placed in my tank and it remained open but by that time the tank lights were only on for a little bit longer and not very bright. This morning the clam was on its side and closed, I placed it back right side up and so far it hasn't opened up. The lights are on as bright as they normally get.

Is this just an acclimation thing for the clam since I just placed in the tank or should I be worried?

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what live stock do you have in your tank?

The clam didn't make it, this morning about all that was left were hermits inside the shell having a feast. I'm replying in hopes of figuring out what I might have done wrong so as not to repeat the mistake again. To answer the question I have hermits, various snails, 2 Anthers (Bartletts), 1 leopard wrasse, 1 canary wrasse, 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 starry blenny, 1 orchid dottyback, 1 cleaner shrimp and 3 peppermint shrimp. I drip acclimated for about 2 hours with a very slow drip, perhaps I didn't drip long enough or maybe didn't drip in enough volume. The clam was open while I was dripping and when I put it in the tank, the next morning it was on its side and closed up with its mantle seeming to have receded from the edges of the shell.

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it touch air at all? If so did you burp it?
It may have been an acclimation issue, or it could have been damaged before you ever even bought it. Was there a rock or anything that the foot was attached to?

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it touch air at all? If so did you burp it?
It may have been an acclimation issue, or it could have been damaged before you ever even bought it. Was there a rock or anything that the foot was attached to?

When I put it in the tank after acclimating, it was in the air for a few seconds, but I did not burp it - I don't know what that means or how to do it. It had rubble attached to the foot, not much but definitely there. I'm pretty sure it was healthy when I bought it.

troels899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burping it is rolling it underwater to get the air out of your clam

troels899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person that sold it to you should have told you I know the guy i bought mine off of At rap was telling everyone buying one

Nano40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a seller on the right side of room A that had a Durasa and a Maxima the Max was in bad shape and the Durasa was going back and forth between the 2 tanks. Hope you didn't get it from there. I got one from Oceans Direct.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure which one that was but it wasn't where I bought the clam from. I'd rather not say from which vendor because I'm about 99.9% sure it was my lack of understanding / acclimation that was the problem. I appreciate everyone's feedback so I don't make the same mistake again.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too lose the clam overnight would make me think there was something already wrong with the clam, OR, you have a predator in your tank and the clam was a tasty treat.

Nano40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hour drip 1-2 drips a second filling half the volume of the original water then drain off half a repeat. I made mine close underwater before I transferred it no burp needed. I would get a rock or clam base the next time you get one and put it in the same bed that should help keep it stable also. Sorry for the loss though.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I think it was not healthy before you got it. I normally only do a temp acclimation with clams if the salinity isn't too far off - which it has never been when I bought clams. So about 10-15 min before going in the clam QT tank. I also have never been all that concerned with burping. The clams I have moved generally are closed pretty tight and don't release air when I rotate them underwater, but they do burp themselves. While I have lost clams due to various reasons, fish, bacteria and such I have never lost one overnight from acclimation or taking it out of the tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back